Hot Rod Spaceliner - by B4C

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What the heck....let's do this!

Here's the link to my previous build thread...

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/hot-rod-spaceliner-by-b4c.100460/

and a copy of the first build post...

It's time to start planning my next build! So, bear with me while I describe my direction...

I have a Spaceliner frame that I want to build into a hot rod style bike. Picture part cruiser, part big BMX, part muscle bike....all attitude!!!

Parts stash includes:
-said Spaceliner frame, some rust pits but a really solid frame
-simple Murray fork
-late Spaceliner truss rod assembly
-several styles of Murray rear racks
-Murray chainguards
-Black flip-flop rear hub
-disc front hub
-2 yard sale 160mm discs
-Nice black eyeleted 36-hole rims
-freewheel sprocket
-cool little brake levers

I also have:
-Several other forks, Murray springer, Schwinn copies, OCC triple fork
-mishmash of handlebars, seats, necks, pedals, etc...

I really want this thing to have attitude but be easy to ride...kind of a "greenway bike on steroids". It will see use as a greenway bike, neighborhood runabout, car show cruiser... Something that can be ridden slow most of the time but pushed occasionally just for grins and giggles.

I want it to at least compliment my old truck, which will be satin black with gold, silver and white trim/stripes/accents.

Having said all that, I now open the floor for innovative ideas, past experiences (positive and negative), previous builds, and things that you've always wanted to try but really wanted some sucker to try first!

Photos of full rides, details, oopses...all welcome and solicited! Yep, I'm asking for it...

Here's what I started with...

43c4b245b93a915cfcdfa82a954baf5c.jpg

The wheels/tires went to ElgIndian, the seat is on the wife's new ladies Spaceliner, and the fork tube cracked when I took it apart!

As it sits now...

8d59026ceed9773d5e837d019cfe1e07.jpg

It's come a long way, but still a ways to go!! Cheer me on fellas!!!

Last edited:
Now, for resolution of my first dilemma...COLOR!!

The frame has some rust pitting on the head tube where the long-gone tank once sat. So my initial thought was to just have the frame clear powdercoated, keeping the weathered rat look. But now, I'm considering some body filler and epoxy spray bomb paint job. Leaning toward appliance white as I think white with black rims and hardware would look good.

Thoughts?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know me, Brett. Rusty and crusty! That frame is cool. Should be some good bones to build around.

Last years WBO bike I built, Dead Metal, has a ton of pitting to the point of being texture. I sprayed right over it and it looks pretty cool. I wire wheeled the rust out of the pits and hit it with primer and then paint.
Forks 003.jpg
It wasn't exactly a pic of the pitting, but there it is. Most of the frame looked like this...

Carl.

Good looking bike such a cool frame . I had one but never did start any thing with it . Looking for to see what you do with yours .

Good looking bike such a cool frame . I had one but never did start any thing with it . Looking for to see what you do with yours .

This is my second boys Spaceliner (Immaculate Deception BO10 build), also have two ladies Spaceliners and two boys Flightliners! Oh, and Hooligan is a 20" Western Flyer! Love my Murray-builds!!

Last edited:
Paint it with hammerite paint,you won't notice the pits...

Paint it with hammerite paint,you won't notice the pits...

The thought has crossed my mind! Actually, there is a Powdercoat that mimics hammer tone paint, but I don't know if I have enough to time to get this to my powdercoater...they are 6 hours away!!

Did some googling last night...looks like there are some favorable reviews on farm implement aerosols from Tractor Supply. Might check out the color selections. Thoughts???

Also there is a 2K clear coat available online and at Eastwoods that's supposed to be the bees knees!!

I've still got a little time....

I had a space liner frame that was pitted very bad also & had it powder coated with that hammered stile . It was called silver vein then a clear blue top coat .

I've used majic brand farm implement spray cans, it's a pretty durable finish for a rattle can. Just make sure to use light passes, spray it to thick and it can take days to dry to the touch.

The 2k clear is a good clear, but being a two part mix it's not really shelf stable. Once you pop the button to mix it, you've got maybe 24hrs.

I haven't done it yet, but I've been thinking about using the 2k over tractor paint.

I had two bikes powder coated, one with copper vein and one with gold vein. It gives you hammered look and hides pitting.

Bike looks great BFC. :thumbsup: Disc brakes are becoming all the rage on Ratrods now, and for good reason. Luke has pulled it off without adapters by custom welding post-mounts on his frame and fork, and I plan on doing the same myself on the next rat I dream up.

Latest posts

Back