Hot Rod 'Liner, a couple more ride pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Rod 'Liner Update 21May11

MplsCoaster said:
Then I switched gears Thinking Big (27.5) and little (26") just for fun. The 37mm fit in the back. I wonder if there is a 29er slick out there that might fit.
27_526HRLiner.jpg

I like the way the front wheel looks on the fork in your first mockup, but I kinda like this second mockup look better overall... The bigger wheel in the rear helps bring the long seatpost into better proportions, and with the lost 2" of steerer tube I think the upright handlebars will work better. REI actually carries some 29" & 26" city tires in the same style, maybe they could add to the big/little look?

http://www.rei.com/product/793100/serfa ... re-29-x-20
http://www.rei.com/product/793099/serfa ... re-26-x-15

Very nice looking bike so far, and good job on the BB conversion!

Re: Hot Rod 'Liner

these 29er's 28's and 700c are aall the same size ther ISO designation is 622mm
The tire industry makes all kinds of slick's and semi slicks in this size check out schwalbe's site.

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot for your comments. I now see some stuff I hadn't earlier.

The rear tire size is limited by 28" from the axle. I don't think I have the skills and the energy
to extend it like some of other great bikes have.

Herr_Rudolf
Thanks for the Schwalbe thought. I have some on a Royce Union that are exceptional.
The rear tire size I have on it now is 37 and I have to deflate it to get it on.
The felt wheels are just for mockup. I don't like the machined surface. It changes the look.
I can't do the fixie of the felt wheels any more so no brakes otherwise. :(

So the first vote for the 26 in front. I found a 1.3" to match the 700 in the back.
A very different look than original. But I had to see. I like the look of your bike with the Tall and Smallers :lol: .
If the stuff in the mail doesn't fit this bike, I've got a few bikes they might

Thanks for you continued support for the bars. I agree about putting my hands near the stems.
I usually do that so I bought these bars:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40277
They're nice and wide. Perfect for blasting around the lakes.
I'll be looking in the mountain bike section for something with slightly wider vertical area (that I can chop).

I'm glad you mentioned the road bike comment. I didn't see it before. It's not what I originally intended.
I still like the smooth rolling fattie that I had on earlier. I have to think about for a while..

Shiny metal does look good, doesn't it... :D

Skipton
Thanks for the links. They have a 45s (1.75)but I don't think they'll fit. I could try 40s.
I already know that my 26 x 1.95 fits perfectly and gives me the hot rod look.
I don't know if I can keep my original intention on what I have coming.
I'll have to see their limitations of width.
That's the 3rd time I been called hipster. I guess if it looks cool then its alright... :lol:

Three-Wire
2nd vote for the small wheel/front tire. Do you think it fits with the fork?
I saw somebody else customize their fork and the tighter fit look great.
It's beyond my skill level.

Thanks to the link for rei.
They have a big sale, practically giving them away, I had to buy them...
I hear that one a lot... :lol: Some thing me and the misses have in common.

I'm glad you like the one set of bars up. See my link previously for the new Typhoon bars.
They don't have the same effect upside down. Especially with the stem, even though the Porteur's are kinda shallow.
I do like other's bars down though.

Skrufryder
Thanks for the info and the standards. I measured again and 29ers might be out.
I'll check them out closer. So go mock ups..

I'm torn about the (Hot Rod versus Transformed Road bike) look but I'll see better after I get a few things.
I'm gonna work on the fork now. I'll see what that changes.

Sorry Guys about the seat post, it wasn't put in far enough for riding. I'm lazy with my mockups.
The frame is a 18.5 so I noticed earlier that it needed less than the Typhoon (18").

Thanks for all the input. It helps.

MplsCoaster

Thanks for the compliment Slow Rider. Hopefully I can make it go as fast as it looks.
From one fellow Chromie to another, I think this bike was pay back on myself for saying for years:
"I like the chrome valve covers on that engine, that will make it go faster" :lol:

Well, I got the fork cut and dry fit with new races and bearings. It worked out easier than expected.
I took a bunch of pics because I thought I might have an issue with putting a Japanese fork in an old American bike but no problems.
I have to do some more work on the axle clearance but that's just gonna take some time.

So I mocked it up and conceptually, I built the bike (pretty close) to the bike I sketched.
RevNot.jpg

Rev1Done2.jpg

Everything needs to be taken back apart and greased and/or loctited yet.
The seat post clamp can be dropped further on the tube so the rack could be more horizontal.
The seat is not right yet, it's just a stand in for now. Its supposed to be silver metal flake but looks too white.
I stole my new VO West Bank bars off the Typhoon because they were what I drew initially.
The head badge/grill idea still needs more work. Clay would work much easier than foil so that's next.
The seat post is still under construction. I used a suggestion from one of the guys here on an aluminum round stock (7/8")
and worked with my machinist friend to get a modern clamp attached. I found that some mtb seatposts had a cast top inserted into a tube. You can pick them up used for under $10. I cut the tube off and the cast piece was 7/8".
So my colleague turned down the cast piece and drilled out the end of the tube.
It still has to be welded and I might try to drill out the solid aluminum stock yet.
Too bad duct tape doesn't work for much more than poser pics. :lol:
So Including the the chain, the whole thing came in at 29 lbs. Not too bad.
I'm still considering multispeeds but not sure if I want to add a bunch more weight for gears. I guess I'll have to ride it first.
Of course, I may need a little more air in the tires too.

I like the way it looks but the set up looks like a lot of my other bikes.
End of Rev1, Hot Rod edition...

But like a little kid, I don't want it to be over...
So I thought about how I got some good feedback on the "Hipster Bars" I cut.
Again, I liked them but I needed to actually ride the bike so I started working on Hipster bars 2.
A guy at work graciously gave me some bars form his Redline 925. He hated them so gave them to me for free :D
It's easier to cut up some thing free. The black paint comes off but I don't have a big wire wheel at home so please use your imagination.
So here is how they looked before the cut and after:
BarsRev2Uncut.jpg

BarsRev2Cut.jpg

I like the cut angle and will probably leave the inside color or change it for a highlight.
I put them on to see how they would feel with the fork cut down and not too bad.
BarsRev2OnBike1.jpg

I can stick the stem out a little more if I want them higher.

My wife got in the act and helped with this pic. There is enough room to "get a grip" now. :)
BarsRev2OnBike2.jpg

So we'll see how the next revision of this bike goes. I'm still waiting impatiently for the mail man.
I'm planning on something that has a little more "wow factor".
So many other people have bikes here that make my eyes pop. I hoping the next Rev to do that.
I also realized that I don't have to choose setups: Hot Rod or Transformed Road bike because I have another 'Liner frame downstairs.
One will be for the competition and the other will be for my own fun.

What do you think so far?

Love the monochromatic look.
On the bars,.... keep in mind that this is a photo contest. If you think the hipster bars look the best use them for your photos and switch them out for cruising, that's my plan. My bike looks much better with flipped bars but my back would be dead in 5 minutes! :D

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the early comments. I need to read them again to respond.

I forgot to put a 3d shot in. Tell me what you think of the pattern of the rack picking up the multiple top tubes.
Does it just make it look busy or does it work?
Rev1_3d.jpg

Sorry about the weeds but that was the only place late in the day to take the sunshine shining off the chrome.Shiny :D

Rev2 parts will be arriving on Thursday.

See Ya

MplsCoaster

Thanks guys for the input.

Johnp.smith:
The cut handle bars aren't for everybody. It's more a matter of here's what i could do, should I?
Thanks for the input and compliment.

Skipton:
Glad you like the chrome. Not very ratty though but I'm strangely attracted to shiny things... :lol:
Glad you liked the black bars. I feel they are at least viable for riding.
We'll see how they clean up.

Gowjobs:
Glad you saw what I saw in the rack. I was hoping it would work. The hot rod edition will spend the extra pound on style.

The bars are a matter of preference is all. I really like the crank mod on this, looks like it came that way.

Re: Hot Rod 'Liner Update

Well...

I have to rename this bike. I had this idea and it's not done yet.
This is no longer my Hot Rod. All those cool parts will go in the spare Liner frame in the basement and I'll update in Bike builds.
I'm happy about that because it can be a little more stylized and heavier.

I have to tell ya that I saw some really cool rims that would have been great for a rat rod but this bike is shiny. A future RR build...
So when I started discussing my idea with Johnnyc at Coasties, he hooked me up.
When the Deep Vs showed up he had already polished them up for me. Awesome.
The new look is still in mock up but you may get the idea.
IMG_3527.jpg

When I was taking this picture, I felt like a 10 year old and my Dad just bought me a new shiny bike. Shiny...
IMG_3530.jpg

I've got stuff to do yet. A different set of tires and tubes are in the mail. They should fill out the frame a bit more.
The Contis are too thin at 28 and 32. But weigh about the same as the bigger tires coming. And things still have to be cleaned up yet.

So now it's as light it will ever be. With the chain, It's 26.5 lbs. Pretty good. Soon I can figure how I want to gear it.

My wife thought, that with the chain gaurd, bobbed fenders might work.
I agree and have some crazy ideas but we'll see how the tires fit.

I'm away on business for a while. Fewer updates.
I might be able to size up the tire diameter to calc the right hub gear and polish it.
Then I'll only have to "install" the chain instead of breaking it twice.

The chainguard won't be easy to attach. It's gotta be bullet proof. But I like dropping it close over the chain ring.
Does anybody like the angle of it? It should almost drop faster but maybe it'll work. The frame drops quickly.

But I think I like the change. Hopefully the bike finally "pops" like so many of the other great bikes in the BOff6.

The seat isn't final or in anyway comfortable. I've gotta think about it for a while.
Could a black seat work with some small black wrap on the bars? It would make things easier.

Hipster bars II are on, but the stem will be replaced by another I have to find yet. Less bolts showing.

Now the headbadge/grill changes too.

A new name is coming. There is a lot of other cool Liners that are in this thing that with great names.

I'll update and respond to all the helpful comments as soon I can. We'll see if others like the monchromatic shine (no paint).

See Ya

MplsCoaster

8) :shock: WOW! :shock: 8)

I just fell out of my seat! that thing is SO Bright!

Looks great the chain guard makes it look even faster....I think a bobbed fender would be killer

The Deep V's Are SOOOOO cool on this!

Keep up the great work!

Yeah thats a nice bike. Its a HOTROD for sure. Love how you built it back up with modern technology. I'm sure JC would approve!

Thanks Guys!

I appreciate the comments. So it seems like I should try some bobbed fenders and it's still a Hot Rod.

Now, all I have to do (saractically) is wait for parts, be in town, and then find some time to get time to get running.
I can't wait to ride it.
After that I'll work on the details.

Oh man, you beat me to it! LOL I have 4 Spaceliners downstairs waiting for the road racer touch! I actually want to try shortening a tank, so it doesn't protrude so far off the bike to get a more racy modern look.

Seriously nice job!!!

Latest posts

Back