Hot Rod Higgins - DONE. In the finished forum

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Rod Higgins - Let there be light and some dumb luck!

Nice Bike! Man I absolutly LOVE those BMX goosnecks, they just clean that whole front end up! LOL. Every nike I own has the same style stems X-)

Terry66 said:
Circa Cycles said:
That light looks great :!: The green color is perfect 8) 8) Is that what what you anticipated?

Nope...just random dumb luck I suppose. :mrgreen: That's okay, I'll take it. I guess I should have expected it, but the LED really didn't look all that "blue". It was a surprise when I flipped the switch. Well, actually two surprises...one that it actually worked at all and two the greenish tint to the light.

Just goes to show:No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck :lol: :lol: I love it when that happens :!:

Skrufryder said:
Nice Bike! Man I absolutly LOVE those BMX goosnecks, they just clean that whole front end up! LOL. Every nike I own has the same style stems X-)

Yeah, I agree...I tried a couple different ones and none of them had the look I wanted. They just seemed out of place with the low, flat bars. I found those BMXers in a big box of stems at my LBS.

Lil' Bill.....dude, Bloody Mary is one of the coolest bike I have ever seen. I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Too bad she was done prior to the start of RRBO7. Maybe start planning something insane for RRBO8? I am shopping around for ideas for my next build. I have a cool Hawthorne twin top bar frame that I might use.

Rg....Trust me, I know I could totally mess up the bike. I think knowing when to stop is one of the most important parts of building a bike. I have sat and stared at this one and really can't see much else it needs in my humble opinion. Brian, the guy who does my pinstriping suggested maybe painting the front and rear seat springs silver to get some separation in that area. I may do it to see how it looks. I have plenty of flat black primer (its my favorite color!) if I need to switch it back

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I've said it before, but to hear compliments from some of the best bike builders out there is a cool thing.

tvc15 said:
That bike is fricken great!

Thanks man....The rest of us are all just trying to finish second to that X53 build of yours!

I think it was Gary Player (pro golfer) who once said, "I'd rather be lucky than good, luck doesn't take any practice. However, the more I practice, the luckier I get".

When lit, that green light has got to look EVIL (as in evil good). I love it dude!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Re: Hot Rod Higgins - and now for something completely different

I don’t have any new pics, but I did get the new wheel installed. Minor change really, but it was bugging me.

I took the Hot Rod out for a spin the other day. The long spring seat, the springer front end and the 24X3 tires makes for a seriously smooth ride. It’s like riding on air…The bike got a lot of attention. A couple of teenage skateboarder types were really impressed. (I guess that’s a good thing 8) ) The one kid wanted to ride it, so I let him cruise it around.

At this point, I am scouting out a photo shoot location. I am going to shoot it on all white with a reflective floor in my studio, but I also want to get a nice urban look for a shoot as well.

raggedjim said:
Hmmm, I was going to shoot mine in a cram-packed, tool littered, bondo dust covered garage... :roll:

Come on down to Murray and take some pics of mine (IF I get it done!) It's only fair.

Rg

Well, if you want to make it up to Dayton, I'll shoot yours in the studio the same time.

Terry66 said:
raggedjim said:
Hmmm, I was going to shoot mine in a cram-packed, tool littered, bondo dust covered garage... :roll:

Come on down to Murray and take some pics of mine (IF I get it done!) It's only fair.

Rg

Well, if you want to make it up to Dayton, I'll shoot yours in the studio the same time.

OHIO? I'm pretty sure us Kentuckians dug a river to keep you guys out! :mrgreen:

Actually, I'd love to, but work won't allow it anytime soon. Thanks for the offer, Rg

Re: Hot Rod Higgins - different bike?

Hey guys….so I think I am going to switch bikes for the build-off. I am super happy with my bike, but my bike is just too close to Double Nickel’s bike from last year. I already talked with Yoothgeye about it. He said it was totally my call. He suggested, I run it by the forum. He tried to get me to send him the bike since I was thinking about not using it in the build off!. (What a nice guy!)

I went with a Higgins because out of the three frames I had, it was the only one that fit a 24X3 without bending/cutting. I already had the fork and had been collecting Higgins parts for a while for a build. It's been bugging me since I saw the mocked up bike. I really tried to switch it up and go a different direction, but there are only so many ways you can go using the same basic set of parts. I thought about not using the skirts or using a full fender…I’ve thought about changing the fork to a triple, swapping out the front wheel, etc…but it doesn’t make sense to make changes that I am not happy with. I mean like I said from the beginning, this is about a bike I want and that I like.

I just don't want to ride on someone else's success. Hey, I'll borrow a good idea anytime, but it's been bugging me for a while.

Anxiously awaiting something else awesome.

Terry66 said:
Hey guys….so I think I am going to switch bikes for the build-off. I am super happy with my bike, but my bike is just too close to Double Nickel’s bike from last year.

Huh?, What?, That's just plain crazy talk right there!!!!

I just pulled up a profile view of Speed Demon and Hot Rod Higgins and looked at them side by side. Okay, your skirts have a similar shape, but you really did them differently, frame is different, tank area is differnt, chainguard is different, bars are different, seat is different, wheelset is different, light is different, chainring is different, springer fork is same, but done differently. Paint color and scheme is different, seatpost is different, pedals are different, taillight is different,,,,,,Ah wait a minute, I think you used the same kickstand as DubNick, what a ripoff !!!!!

What does all of this add up to?????? TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BUILDS!!!!!!!

On the other hand, just remove the skirts and kickstand and send them to me instead.

kingfish254 said:
On the other hand, just remove the skirts and kickstand and send them to me instead.

Crap, I didn't notice the kickstand! :shock: :lol:

You guys are too good to me....two guys are offering to take my bike and another the parts :lol:

Seriously, I appreciate the responses. I am really not trying to cause a stir, it's just been bugging me and wanted to see what you guys thought.

Terry

Plus, Speed Demon looked SOOOOOOOOO much better than Hot Rod Higgins. I think it is very pretentious to compare your build to his. :shock:

:p :p :p Totally and completely pulling your kickstand with that statement. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :p :p

kingfish254 said:
Plus, Speed Demon looked SOOOOOOOOO much better than Hot Rod Higgins. I think it is very pretentious to compare your build to his. :shock:

Yeah, you have a point there. :lol:

Peatbog said:
Well, if you want to know exactly what I think, I think your bike belongs in this build off.

+1

Re: Hot Rod Higgins

You're asking a guy building a Schwinn cantilever with a tank if you bike is too much like another bike? Tons of past bikes look similiar to mine (one from BBO4 has the same Ross chainring too! Found that last week.), but I wouldn't start over now.

We want to beat or get beat fair and square! and your bike has been at the top of my list for a while.

Good luck no matter what you decide, Rg

Thanks guys...I appreciate the feedback.....I'm probably overthinking it like usual. :?

Jim....you're right about Schwinn Cantilevers, but they sure are a cool frame and yours is pretty unique!

As Jake would say....GTB

I went to the swap meet at Portland Indiana today and bought a bunch of potential build off parts...Everyone was more than willing to negotiate. Spent $86 for everything plus a set of 12" whitewalls, a 12" donor bike for the wheels, a Person's seat with crash rail and a hockey beer tap.

Not sure I'll be using anything on this build, but we'll see...

A cool oil tank. You can see where the guy cleaned it off.

port4.jpg

A working horn. That is a bit of adhesive on the side. The horn is in nice shape and sounds good.

port6.jpg

A Higgins boys beehive springer. It's been completely painted, but it is in decent shape. I can make it look good. Probably going to use it with a '36 Roadmaster frame

port5.jpg

An interesting LED light for $1. Thinking about painting is red and using it as a tail light.

port7.jpg

Here is a link to the rest of the finds.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59533

Latest posts

Back