Hot Rod Higgins - DONE. In the finished forum

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Rod Higgins - pinstriping done!

kingfish254 said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Wicked tins and striping!!!!
I stil can't believe you aren't using the skirts, but it is still gonna be a killer build!!!!!

I am going to use the skirts. I went ahead and had them striped as well. I've been tossing around different ideas, but the skirts are a go.

Thanks guys on the striping. Brian did a killer job. Actually he is going to do a little more in a couple of weeks. I want to take the bike to a couple of upcoming shows, so I am putting it together in a hurry. I plan to keep working on it for the next month or so.

Loving the seat...

black17.jpg

Here is the bike with the fork and wheels mounted...

black14.jpg

Fantastic pinstriping! Really brings the "Rat" out of the Rod!! :wink: Love this build!

yoothgeye said:
Striping looks awesome! I wish I could have striping consistency and smoothness, but since I can't I just wish I knew someone who striped... for free. :mrgreen: Can't wait to see it all together.
I'm going to stripe mine myself here is my idea I'm going print my stripes off cut them out tape them on an spray if it works I'll post it on my build if it dont you'll know I failed

Seat and bike are looking great!!!
Glad to hear that the skirts are still in.

yoothgeye said:
That is a well balanced bike! :shock:

Thanks...This is my first rat build and I wanted to keep it simple and try to stick with a good riding, old fashioned hot rod. My goal was to have it in a "complete" state, so if I run out of time, I have an entry ready. My plan is to start lacing up a three speed read hub and get a shifter mounted and a few other modifications. I figure I'll work up till the deadline.

Xcruiser said:
I really like this,one of my faves.Has that down and dirty ,straight to the point look.
Keep it up man!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks man....your HiaWhatThe? is killer. Personally, the best so far, but that's just my opinion.

I had a successful search and rescue mission today and came up with the stem and front light I was looking for. Both need some work, but that's the fun part. The problem is I have tonight to get it wrapped up if I am going to take it to Mark's (Rusty513) show tomorrow.

Love the stem. It has that straight forward cool look to it. Should work well with the bars I have in mind. I need to take the buffing wheel to it. Looks chrome in the pic, but it is more of a brushed aluminum.

black15.jpg

The light might be a little big.....I am going to rob the LED guts out of a Nirve light I have laying around.

black16.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Higgins - pinstriping done & new parts

Great looking bike :!:

Wow...what a night. I cleaned up, sanded and painted my new light. I buffed out the new stem. I painted and installed the headbadge. I went to the store and got new hardware for all the parts. I put on the new stem, handlebars and grips. I installed the light. (Its rather large, but looks crazy cool). I installed the chainguard, skirts, fenders and tank. I put on the crank/sprocket...The tire was rubbing the chain, so I pulled the crank and used a different sprocket. It was a little smaller and the chain was too loose, but if I pulled a link, it moved the 24X3 tire into the frame too far and it rubbed. I pulled the crank yet again and went with the Schwinn sprocket I had lying around. That finally did the trick.

I am officially done and major tired. I'll post a pic of the bike in the morning. Honestly in my humble opinion, it is the best looking bike I have ever seen. Granted I am a bit partial to it, but it is just smoking hot. It looks like a vintage hot rod. No matter what happens with the build off, I succeeded in building a bike that I am extremely happy with.

Terry66 said:
... No matter what happens with the build off, I succeeded in building a bike that I am extremely happy with.

Bike looks awesome so far man !!! I'd be smiling if I were you too :D

Terry66 said:
Honestly in my humble opinion, it is the best looking bike I have ever seen. Granted I am a bit partial to it, but it is just smoking hot. It looks like a vintage hot rod. No matter what happens with the build off, I succeeded in building a bike that I am extremely happy with.
..and thats what really matters! Great job on achieving your goal. Your bike is super rad!!!!

Got the bike put together late last night and loaded it up for the Cincinnati Rat Riders show. Great show by all involved. I heard they raised over $1100 for charity. My bike won best custom. Here are a couple of cell phone pics. One with the trophy and of course the required garage door shot.

Plan to cut the bars down a little narrower, add a three speed and a few more finishing touches on the pinstriping.

black18.jpg

black19.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Higgins - Done for now. First trophy pics

Peatbog said:
Holy Moley, that is just too freakin' cool!

Congratulations on the trophy.

By the way, if you ever get tired of that bike and want to give it away to someone who will appreciate it, I'm here for you :mrgreen:

Thanks man...If I ever decide to "give" it away, you're tops on my list! :D I seriously like the bike. I think it kind of looks like Double Nickle's bike from last year. Different frame, but same fork, fat tires, etc. It really wasn't intentional, but he certainly has a killer bike.

Cool thing is that it really is a cheap rat build. The chrome on the springer was so bad, it was sanding and painted metallic silver. The tank was rusted and pitted to the point I had to bust out the bondo. The paint is just rattle can black primer. I only paid $75 for the whole bike, sold the wheels, fork and truss rods for $60 I still have the rack to sell. I got the rear wheel, bars and a seat for $25 and sold the seat for $20. Brian Tomlinson did a killer job on the pinstriping at a decent price. That old springer seat was a complete rust bucket I found sitting on a '36 rusted Roadmaster frame. Check out the pic....I traded off the fork, bars, grips and stem. (Still have the frame for my next project!)

rusty2.jpg

Yeah,Man :!: That's one sweet bike :!:

Does the light work? I have a similar one, but I am unsure on how to make it work. :cry:

Latest posts

Back