Hot Rod Higgins - DONE. In the finished forum

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Rod Higgins - Mocked up rear fender 5/24

Dude, that is wicked.
You could change the name to Bat Rod, but it's already taken.
That is starting to look BGC* though!!!!

*Bat Guano Crazy

Re: Hot Rod Higgins - Mocked up rear fender 5/24

Thanks guys....I am really looking forward to building the front end. I picked up a sweet old Studebaker lamp for the front. It should mount right on the X53 fork I got from Oz. I've got a slight crack in the bondo job on the rear fender, so I need to sand that spot down, add a little filler. I wasn't going to mess with it, but after cutting the fender, it needs paint anyway, so I might as well fix it.

I spent most of the evening tonight laying a few extra coats of flat black on the tins. I'm dropping them off for some pinstriping over the weekend. I was thinking red, white and grey striping, but now I am leaning towards white and a couple different shades of silver/grey.

Re: Hot Rod Higgins - fender done and new grips

Got the rear fender point all finished and painted. I cut it pretty close, so it just needed a little grinding and a bit of filler on a small dent. Shot it with the flat black and added a decal that a friend made me for the bike. I have all the tins bubble wrapped and heading to the pinstripers tomorrow.

black9.jpg

Got these grips off ebay for like $15. The should flow with the black and silver theme.

black10.jpg

Gonns spend the rest of the weekend putting the X53 fork back together and finish painting the frame.

Nice bike so far! 8) Another one of my favorites :wink:

The fender skirts and fender combination is what gives this bike that AWE!! I wouldn't lose the skirts. Very sweet ride coming along there

Man, this bike looks TOUGH!...nice work

Well, the bike is pretty much done. Dropped the tins off today for lettering/striping.. Keeping the skirts. Decided to go with sublime green, dk green, beige and some orange. Get the parts back Thursday, finish assembling the bike Friday and taking it to the Rat Riders show on Saturday. Still need to come up with pedals and a stem....and a chain. Probably going to use the original pedals that came on the bike. They are ratty but should clean up nice. Not sure on the stem.....

Terry, how could you even think of pulling the skirts??? I don't mind saying I'm going to copy this bike in the future. I don't mean take an idea here and there, I'm talking blatant plagerism...

Great bike, I wish you had saved it for RBO8 :mrgreen: Rg

raggedjim said:
Terry, how could you even think of pulling the skirts??? I don't mind saying I'm going to copy this bike in the future. I don't mean take an idea here and there, I'm talking blatant plagerism...

Great bike, I wish you had saved it for RBO8 :mrgreen: Rg

No worries...copy all you like. :D

I need to shoot some pics, but tonight I mounted the crank and pedals and I installed the X53 fork on the frame. Still waiting on a couple parts to come in, but I am still planning to have it done by Friday.

Terry66 said:

I need to shoot some pics, but tonight I mounted the crank and pedals and I installed the X53 fork on the frame. Still waiting on a couple parts to come in, but I am still planning to have it done by Friday.

I got some skirt guards, I feel a doppelganger coming up! Rg

raggedjim said:
Terry66 said:

I got some skirt guards, I feel a doppelganger coming up! Rg

Shoot me some pics when you get it going. I'd love to see it.

I should be posting plenty of update tonight and tomorrow. My headbadge and stem are in the mailbox at home and I am picking up the tins in a couple of hours. I can't wait to see the pinstriping and letters. The tank says "Grumpy's Speed Shop". It is a reference to my favorite hot rodder from back in the day...Bill "Grumpy's Toy" Jenkins.

Re: Hot Rod Higgins - pinstriping done!

Got the tins back this evening. Shot a quick pic of the tank, fender and chainguard. Ready to start assembling everything tonight. Going to have to use a Nirve light for the time being till I find a better vintage one.

black13.jpg

black11.jpg

black12.jpg

Striping looks awesome! I wish I could have striping consistency and smoothness, but since I can't I just wish I knew someone who striped... for free. :mrgreen: Can't wait to see it all together.

Wow, striping looks awesome :D

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Wicked tins and striping!!!!
I stil can't believe you aren't using the skirts, but it is still gonna be a killer build!!!!!

Latest posts

Back