Hot Rod Girl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This bike is based on the look of a certain type of early hot rod... the kind that would be driven on the street, driven to the drags or the dry lakes, races, and driven home. Big n' littles, aggressive stance, stripped down, and lots of speed holes. The rough character is balanced out a bit by the lady's frame, cute little fender, and polka dot ribbon. I tried to keep things tight, subtle, and simple. The bike is named after a movie of the same name.

This bike has been quite the adventure. I started with no ideas really, and this bike was the only suitable project I had, so I worked with that. I am extremely happy with how this has turned out, considering the lack of "nice parts" (and money for that matter) at my disposal.

Specs:

Frame: CCM Ladies frame (not sure of year) Absolutely bone stock, stripped, painted lugs.
Fork: Sears Free Spirit, curled out
Fender: Sears Free Spirit, Custom machined spacers.
Rims: Stock (R), 24x1 3/8 (F), Drilled out everywhere but the seam
Tires: 26x1 3/4 (R), 24x1 3/8 (F), OLD!
Hubs: Stock Favorit w/drilled strap(R), Normandy High flange, cut down and re-drilled, simplex skewer(F)
Headset:Modified with Low profile top nut and counter bored top race
Handlebars: Unknown, extended 3", capped and threaded.
Grips: Newer CCM (Rocket ships!) with Custom machined end caps.
Stem: Supercycle 10 speed
Crank: Stock, Drilled out chainring
Pedals: Wellego, reflectors and braces removed, end caps trimmed, holes added.
Seatpost: Stock-based with extension and cap welded and smoothed
Seat: Mattress style, cover and paint removed, holes drilled.
Rear Light: Princess Auto mini LED work light, modified and epoxied into seat post. Twist to turn on.
Front Light: Generic Battery operated, "taped for Racing" with ribbon, Solid Scrap Stainless Steel bracket.

Now for some pictures:

F3-4.jpg

Pedalstand.jpg

R3-4.jpg

SideFin.jpg

Barend.jpg

SeatSide.jpg

Crank.jpg

Head1.jpg

Frontwheel.jpg

Front.jpg

Rim.jpg

rear.jpg

I would like to thank the following: My lovely girlfriend, for putting up with all this, and for liking the bike so much!The Staff of Spoke N' Sport, My boss for letting me use the machines, and of course all the members of this site, which has been nothing but a pleasure to visit since I joined this spring. Thank you for your kind words and inspiration. Good luck to all the builders. I've certainly had fun. Happy voting!

Oh yeah! :D I haven't really had enough time to follow the build threads as much as I'd have liked to so when I look at the finished bikes I get a lot of moments when I go "hey!!". This is one of them! Love the colours, the fork and the different sized tires. The seat looks...scary. :lol:

That's the FASTEST looking ladie's bike I've ever seen! Great job!

well done the colors, the holes drilled the death seat all add up to a cool bike. funny though looking at it done i get more of a vintage TT racer motorcycle feel from it especially with the cross taped headlight. well done

Thanks everyone.

I did about 10km on the seat the other day.... not the most comfortable thing, but bearable. wouldn't want to do a lot more. I will probably make a cover for it, that's why 3 holes on each side rail are smaller than the others, a snap will bolt in there. I wanted to present it with the seat bare like that though because it looks cool, and yes it is rideable that way.

well done the colors, the holes drilled the death seat all add up to a cool bike. funny though looking at it done i get more of a vintage TT racer motorcycle feel from it especially with the cross taped headlight. well done

Yeah I dunno, I don't know a ton about motorcycles, I do know about old hot rods, and I raced bicycles for a while.... maybe that equals out to the same thing? :roll: Anyways, I just went along on this build doing what looked the best to me, and this is how it turned out, and the crossed out headlight just seemed right. I had seen it on race pictures of Cobras, etc.

That's the FASTEST looking ladie's bike I've ever seen! Great job!

It is pretty fast. I took it for a ride stock just for a reference, and it is quite the difference. It's not all that different from a road racing position, really, so you're pretty aero. I don't have good leg extension on it, but my girlfriend does. She LOVES this bike, and so she can keep it. She's a racer too, so yes it will be fast!

onelesspedestrian said:
Man, EVERYONE comments on the seat. That's why I left it that way, springs, twin rails, holes, hinges, more springs - there's a lot to look at.

Yes, there sure is.
Better make shure you keep the overall look by making a seat JUST big enough for comfort, and stll small enough for the world to see the 'technical' metal bits... Maybe partly using see trough vinyl. Maybe a floating piece just an inch above the seatframe. Or maybe...

Wow! That bike is so clean yet stylin! AWESOME: I just can't believe that is a girl's bike! Too bad your girlfriend likes it... otherwise I'd be begging for it!!

Latest posts

Back