Homemade Tools

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to make a star washer installation tool soon. I'll post when I get around to it.
Done.
download_1.jpg

You'll have far more controllability using a bolt as shown in the video I posted ;)

Stopped using sockets alone because there is a greater chance it will not go in square.
You have to be skilled to do it with just a socket and get it perfect ever time.

I just use the stem parts for installing star nuts. Remove or leave off the steerer spacers, drop the bolt through the cap, thread the cap to the star nut as far as possible, slide the stem over the steerer, drop the star nut assembly inside the stem with the cap seated to the ID of the stem. Rubber mallet the nut until it's in the steerer as the stem and cap keep it aligned. To get the star nut in deeper, loosen the nut a little, and bang it down some more. Even when I partially ground off one of the star's teeth top and bottom to fit the brake cable down the steerer for Retro Rocket, resulting in uneven tension, it went right in.

I use a 3/4 deep well socket with the bolt run through the center just like your video. I welded the end shut and had it center bored. Also had a groove cut for proper depth of insertion and fits like a glove down a 1.125 steel steer tube. Never had one go wonky

So I guess it's not a "regular" socket :21:

I'm yet to build a truing stand... I've been thinking of using some old bike frame for it as its the easiest. I got plenty of old frames lying around. So far my DIY tools are quite modest, one modified old bike tool for locking hub bearings. Recent addition which isn't even ready yet is a tool to remove built in kickstands. That's quite a curiosity item and I think all I've seen have been self made. I'm not sure if any bike factory built a tool for that, I presume they must have.

Anyway, that's an interesting little contraption, I'll post a picture when its ready. :D

An easy way to do that is to attach plastic zip ties to use as guides.
View attachment 143475
Great idea!
Something I thought about would be to put a ruler with a rubber band on the fork, then take measure from the lock bolts of the axle to adjust it in the center, then push it as close to the rim as possible and add something to the sides, like the zip ties above. ;)

When I was machining the front derailleur for my Raleigh 10sp, I needed to machine a half-bore out of the body to fit the seat tube diameter but didn't have a way to do so on my lathe/mill, so I made a boring head.

From a chunk of brass round stock, I turned a small post on one end (to hold in the spindle of my machine) and then used a hacksaw to cut a small notch in the other end. Next I cut a small piece out of another hacksaw blade and drove it into the notch.

Finally, I carefully ground the cutting "insert" to size so that it would bore the correct size hole.

I chucked it into the spindle of my lathe/mill and stood back while I turned it on. The "insert" didn't fly out, so I carefully made the first pass. It cut beautifully, so I kept at it until I reached the final dimensions needed.

Here's the boring head, sitting on the bed of my little lathe/mill.

PXL_20231001_161848231.jpg

And here's a close-up shot of the finished derailleur mounted on the bike.

PXL_20231001_185111058.jpg

My favorite part about making the boring head is that I made it on the machine that I would then use it on. There's something very satisfying about using a tool to make a tool, especially when the tool you made will be used on the tool that made it. :crazy2:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back