homemade enclosed fat e delta

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to build myself a fat tire delta trike with a Bafang BBSO2 motor. Started it last fall and put a few hundred km's on before adding a coroplast body for wind and weather protection. So far it has exceeded my expectations. I live in the Canadian province of Manitoba and we definitely get all 4 seasons. Riding around inside it with an outside temp of 10 below Celcius all thats needed is a light jacket and gloves. I have 2 17.5AH lithium batteries and by keeping the power level and speed down it gets around 40 km's per battery.

Attachments

• P1020844.JPG
    P1020844.JPG
    320.4 KB · Views: 167
Yes range is decreased in cold. I went out a couple times at 20 below C and it was noticeable, maybe a third less. As you can see the back is enclosed so what I did was cut a couple pieces of that blue camping foam and loosely wrapped the batteries top and bottom with the foam. A cheap thermometer was placed under the foam to check the battery temperature. When in use the batteries produce heat. What I found was an approx 17 degree C difference between the outside and under the foam. My KHS fatbike has a BBSHD with the battery on a homemade rack. It uses the same blue foam wrapped on it held with a 2" velcro strap. The fat bike is used all winter on some local single track trails but it's main engine (me) doesn,t go out when the temp goes below 20 below. The foam really helped the range plus one of chemical hand warmers gets slipped under its foam when its really cold.

Very utilitarian and blue. Now to bump up the style. It doesn't have to be "Burning Man" or anything crazy, but even something retro like a 1900's automobile styling would be neat.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back