Hog Boys Boardtracker (Ex-Villiers)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Villiers board tracker

karfer67 said:
i would cover it but thats me. there is a difference between ratty and un-finished. sorta like when you see a no fender rat rod car with no floors or an open driveshaft. i guess some might think it is cool but wait till you catch your long sleeve shirt in that spinning u joint then tell me how cool it is? like this one think shoe laces :shock:
thats why you wear short sleaves duh :roll:

Hi there.
I just didn't think that the springer fork went well along with a board track racer.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but springers were'nt around in the 1910's-1920's where they?
"So I devised myself a plan that should be the envy of almost any man" (JR Cash Rules!), and built myself a fork like the ones I see on the pictures:

I'm still missing the top tubes and bolt. I'll finish it tonight.

Tell me guys, am I gonna crash and burn?

Keep rollin'

stocksucks said:

Well, you would've been better off welding the top horizontal bar to the fork crown instead of to the fork legs. All force is now transmitted to just the two welds of the legs, whereas spreading that force between the crown and the legs would've been a stronger solution and less prone to breaking at the seam between the legs and the crown.

I'd be a bit afraid of hitting a large bump at speed and having the welds break, but that's part of the excitement I guess. :mrgreen:

You know, just thinking out loud here, the way your fork is, You could almost put a single leaf spring in it and make it a working springer. It wouldn't take that much more. I hear you about the V-twin engine. I know that some China Co. makes a 250cc miniature harley engine, but the price is over $1400.00 bones. I thought about taking two single cylinder 2 strokes and connecting them and having them in a V arrangement. It could be done. You would be placed in the scooter category of things. Able to ride on the street in traffic, but not on the freeway. You would need lights, turn signals, insurance, and plates. My bike is a registered moped. I don't need signals and I can't ride with traffic. Not that much difference.

Yeah that would look great.. something like this maybe? :D

leaf20spring20forks2025.jpg

You can buy them here for 250 bucks or build one yourself.. :D

http://halcyoncycleworks.com/index.html

Yeah, that is very close to what Indian used for 25 years or so. They say that leaf spring forks are great because they have a natural dampening effect that makes it work like a spring with a shock absorber. You may need to have a leading link rather than a trailing link as in the picture to keep the rake you will need to make it steer smoothly. You could probably just flip the link in the picture if you needed to. You can make your own leaf spring by using regular steel about 3 thick and after you bolt them together the way you want, get it totally solid red hot for about 10 minutes and then dunk it in salt water to cool it as fast as you can and you will turn it into spring steel. A BBQ with a lot of charcoal and a way to fan it with air will do the trick.

That's awsome K-dregg. Did you build it?
Do you have one Cobra?
I gotta have one :D
BTW, these kind of motorized home-made vehicles are completely illegal here, with no way to go around the issue.
Keep rollin'

This one
K-dregg said:
Yeah that would look great.. something like this maybe? :D

leaf20spring20forks2025.jpg

You can buy them here for 250 bucks or build one yourself.. :D

http://halcyoncycleworks.com/index.html
Looks great.

I think that tonight I'll have the pulley for the engine's shaft :D

I know what you are talking about. When you look at pictures of old motorcycles the handlebars look like they are cut off and then held in place with a fitting. This is for the routing of through-the-bar cables for throttle and other stuff. The ends of the bars had an angles slot in them so that when you twisted the throttle it moved a small piece inside the bar that held the cable. Sometimes it was even chain with pulleys instead of cable that we use today. I personally thought about doing it and decided not to because I was worried of an accident by the throttle getting stuck. If you can do it reliably, go for it.

Latest posts

Back