Hog Boys Boardtracker (Ex-Villiers)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Villiers board tracker

Is your's a Extreme-Duty Pulley Centrifugal Clutch?
Thanks a lot for your help! How would I pay you?
Oh... and I've read the specs on the clutch and they say that it engages at 1800 rpm. How do I know if it suits my Villiers? And also, what do they mean by keyway? Is that the sprocket's tooh spacing?

Thank you very much.

You will have to do research to see what the specs are for your engine. I have the clutch I posted in the link. The keyway is usually on the engine's drive shaft. If you engine does not have that, you will have to have one cut.

1024-img_01061.jpg

Here's a pic showign a key way on an engine shaft, its usually a square channel that runs down part way down the shaft. The key (visible here) is a small piece of steel which fits in the channel in the shaft and the channel on whatever youre coupling to it. Most clutches, etc. will have a key way cut into them for this application. Here's a paint drawing I did years ago for a client when I used to work at Koher Engines.

1024-img_01061-1.jpg

You may have an issue mounting your clutch. Most pump engines on the PTO end used a crank that was threaded on the end without a keyway.

You're absolutely right Cashman. It's threaded.
I'll have to figure out something. Maybe I'll have to cut the axle to fit the key, but I dislike that.
Tomorrow evening I'll have a centrif clutch to try out. Then we'll see.
Meanwhile I'm working on the frame and I'm having trouble in the crank clearance. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Thanks a lot guys.

hi there.
Here are some pics.
I spent most of the weekend finishing my home made tube bender, specially the wooden pulleys

Even though it's not a pretty sight, it does the job. But.. with quite a lot of work. You have to work slowly and bend the tube in different spots. I'll have to test it with more ease, fill the tubes with sand or water and soap and then freeze it, or else it will kink as seen on photo. But for simple bends I won't have to pay no more.

Only last night I could mockup the frame. There are still a few matters to solve:

Thanks

Theres always the option to tack weld on the clutch, pulley, or sheave or what ever you want to call whats on the PTO end of the crank. But the driven part has to be fixed on to the crank somehow. Also, you might want to think about how the governor is going to work? Pump engines were made to run at a steady RPM. I didn't see a governor arm attached out side the crankcase. Don't know anything about Villiers engines, but if you had governor action, it would be a much more enjoyable ride. All the governor is going to do is tell the carb how much fuel to let through at a given RPM. The governor, if it has one, might be easily overcome with some extension springs. I'd love to see this build happen!!! And I taught small engine mechanics for 20 yrs.

Hey there.
Cashman, the engine has a governor with a spring, and there are many options to regulate the engine's throttle.
Here is a hilight of it before cleaning.

Meanwhile, The rear triangle is ready :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll post pictures later.
I had to cut 8cm to the top tubes. That's what was wrong. I don't know what the heck I was doing and left them longer, way longer!
Also I chopped the cranks half way.

I'm very happy with the results. Maybe tonight I can have the frame close to ready.

BTW Beau, very nice truck you've got there. Love it.

Thanks

Yup. That's cool! Keep going!

You should have this moved to the motor forum!

Untill now I've only been concerned about getting the thing runnin', and forgot about how it will stop...
How about the brakes? Will a coaster do? Should I go for a drum brake? I don't want any on the front...
Thanks

You really need a front and rear brake for safety. You are putting out some serious hp and you need a redundant brake plan so you can live another day and make more awesome bikes after this one! I vote for a front drum/rear coaster.

+1 on the front brake. It is actually more important to have a front than a rear if you have to choose. I say front drum or disc.

Thanks for the concern Cobra and Motopecane.
You are probably right, but when we look at those back in the day photos, some racers did not have any brakes in the front. I've never ridden a boardtracker, in fact, I've never driven a real motorcycle, and I'm not aware of the real danger. Is skidding often?

Anyway, I can still mount a front brake.

BTW, today I got really lucky :D :D :D :D :D
I got a centrifugal clutch for free, and a really large drum brake for 10€ (some 12 USD):

Cool rigth?

Keep rollin'

It´s all cleaned up and shiny now :D
But I've got a problem with the clutch :cry: it seems to operate in the oposite direction of what I need. It's from a scooter and maybe the drive is on the right side instead of the usual left.
Is there a way to turn it around?

The clutch should work either way?

Very good score on that and the rear hub. Coaster brakes really don't do much but skid as far as slowing down. Drums are OK and will fade before they lock up. The front brakes are the difficult part. rim brakes don't work good unless you put on linear pull brakes, and front drums don't really slow you down much either (slower than linear pull brakes). I'm running a 203mm disk on mine. But it takes away from the old look. It will stop me quick though.

Latest posts

Back