HodgePodge All Pro... ALL FINISHED!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: HodgePodge All Pro.. Seat Color Quandary!!

Black

Re: HodgePodge All Pro.. Beginning Tail light/License plate

Green P1 said:
Quick Question:
The girlfriend wants to buy me a seat for HodgePodge for my birthday. I'm leaning towards black but she thinks it needs to be red.
Which way do I go?
Green P1 said:
Black saddle it is!
I agree. BTW: Happy Birthday! Isn't awesome getting bike parts for birthday presents?

Re: HodgePodge All Pro.. Seat Color Quandary!!

Just realized I hadn't posted a picture of the brake arm installed on the bike... oops
photo-51.jpg

Still working on getting the license plate mount to look how I want it, plus now I'm trying to decide If I want to run a chain guard or not.

CHAINGUARD YAY OR NAY?

Re: HodgePodge All Pro.. Chainguard or No?????

Didn't get much response on chainguard ya or nay... but what if I show you a picture of it stripped and primed??!?!?!?
photo-54.jpg

Hopefully I'll get a chance to paint it tomorrow before the pool and Miller Lite get the better of me.

Also decided I needed more "back" in my layback post so I grabbed the handlebars and went to chopping again.
photo-53.jpg

Looking good but ya gotta hold the chainguard up on the bike so we can tell what looks best.

Jake Sensi said:
Looking good but ya gotta hold the chainguard up on the bike so we can tell what looks best.

Yep, mock ups don't count unless they are "mocked up"!!!

Yea... you're right. Here's a proper mock!

Woke up early and got the paint done, she's not cured all the way but dry enough to bolt on.
photo-55.jpg

Full bike shot. Just realized I hadn't shown a photo yet with the tires/saddle the girlfriend got me for my birthday yet... also the new layback seatpost was installed this morning.
photo-56.jpg

Something about the guard just doesn't quite fit my eye right. I went with black for the primary color to break up some of the red a bit but maybe it should have been reversed?

Also I like the look of the new post much more than the first but I'm not quite sure I like the way it rides as much... so we'll see if it sticks.

First, that seatpost turned out perfect. Does it feel strong enough for a big boy?

Second, the tires and rims are perfect for this build!!!!

Finally, I think the chainguard is good, you just need to work on the color. Unless you plan some cool red letter graphics or striping on it, that big swath of black just sits there. I like you idea of reversing the colors on it, but even then, you should probably add some striping, lettering, or graphics to the big section of the guard.

BRAVO!!!!!!!! Looking sweet!!!

photo-56.jpg

1. The thick guage of the handlebars feels as sturdy as could be on the seat post. I'm 6 foot 190 lbs and I have little to no worry of it bending on me.

2. I think I'm in agreement on the chainguard needing some red lettering to add detail and break up the black. Problem is my skill set with paint does in no way extend anything that precise or intricate. It's all I can do to get a smooth line taping off the red from the black... Oh were I only to have more artistic friends/connections to fall back on....

Check with Peatbog on how he got his chainguard logo. You can also do it yourself with lamination paper sold at cvs and your printer. That's how I did Retro Rat-O. The guard looks good!

Thats 3 to 1 but I still say ditch the chainguard

Dingus Khan said:
Totally stealing that layback seatpost idea.

+1

Yeah, I am sure that one will make the rounds.

Love the look of this bike, it says 'fast' to me.

Do you think the handlebar tubing is rigid enough? I would hate for that to snap off on you.... :shock: OUCH!

Good luck.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Love the look of this bike, it says 'fast' to me.

Do you think the handlebar tubing is rigid enough? I would hate for that to snap off on you.... :shock: OUCH!

Good luck.

Cheers,
Dr. T
I think it's rigid enough. I've ridden it quite a bit already and its made of thicker diameter stock than any other seat post I own. I also do not want it snapping off on me though!

I'm currently looking into the method Peatbog used for the lettering on his chainguard. I think it might be just what I need for chainguard and maybe headbadge as well!

Getting close to wrapping this one up. The lettering for my guard should be here tomorrow (would be here now but dang FEDEX tries to deliver while normal humans are at work). Other than that, I'm still thinking of trimming the brake cables in the front and I need to get my License Plate programed... I hate the cheapo pedals but they work and I'm broke.... now to decide upon a location for the photo shoot.

Latest posts

Back