(HMS Bike) New name: Car Bait 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been a while since my last bike build. I really want this one to get done since I'm pretty enthusiastic about the riding position. I want to complete the proof of concept at the very least before the fall if I don't have time for the paint/finish. A work in progress, a rat, a Home Made Stretch Bike. :) This is what I have so far. I'm still scratching my head on how I'm going to attach the 2 top parts together without welding. Any ideas?

DSCN2040.jpg

DSCN2051.jpg

DSCN2059.jpg

Thanks for watching. :)

Re: HMS Bike

Well I got busy today and took a chance to cut up some tubing in order to have the two frame seat stays meet up. I had a hard time convincing both frames to get together so I needed a bit of help from my friend the vise.

DSCN2144.jpg

I then drilled some holes and joined every thing with graded bolts. If I ever find a good welder, I'll have him weld everything and grind the excess off. Until then it has cost $3.50 for the nuts and bolts. The only expense for this build so far.

DSCN2146.jpg

Here's what I did at the bottom. I will eventually trim that left over chainstay off before paint.

DSCN2145.jpg

Here's what it looks like all pasted together. I replace the front fork because I want decent brakes and I might replace those tires with something else, space is limited.

DSCN2152.jpg

I continued work after the last photo and actually installed a chain and the front brake. I was racing the sunset so no pictures yet. I will post them tomorrow. Let me just say that this is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden in my life. It runs great and smooth. My guess that I would be able to stand on the pedals was right on. I can get up for a power surge with the ape hangers and then sit back down all comfy afterwards. The perfect bike!

More tomorrow.

:)

Gerry you just gave me an idea! :mrgreen: I never thought of using bolts to hold the frame together :D Very cool, now I gotta find some cheap frames :mrgreen:

That looks pretty good. I had to go check the back of my truck though, the blue parts donor looks EXACTLY like one of my bikes... Krylon True Blue flaking off of original red. I'm going to have to watch this one evolve, I haven't been able to comfortably ride a production bicycle in over 25 years. Frames are just too cramped.And since my Firestone is only worth about 35 cents as scrap metal...

As I said yesterday, it is running. I added a temporary suicide shifter and made a foot brake for the rear, I ran out of brake cable housing. :) I put 26 X 1.95 in the back and 26X1.50 in the front. I have about 2 mm of play between the chainstays at the back. This bike rides like a dream and the semi-recumbent position makes for some powerful pedal pushing. It flies, it's comfy and it looks pretty good. Talk about a full package.

I'm debating about fenders and all the other stuff I would like to do. Paint might be in a while, don't know what yet.

DSCN2154.jpg

DSCN2155.jpg

DSCN2158.jpg

DSCN2159.jpg

For a bike that is literally bolted together, that has really nice lines. Great job on the frame and the foot brake is a thing of genius.

If it were mine, I'd maybe try a clip to keep the foot brake on. Kind of like a parking brake. And I'd be interested to know how much the bike flexes?

cheers jonnie

Really cool :wink: Does the frame flex at all where its bolted :?:

Thanks for the great comments everybody. I took it out for a 20 mile shake down cruise today and no issues whatsoever. I attached a pair of lunch boxes to use is panniers. Tomorrow is break down and flat black paint. Can't have it look like a jigsaw puzzle since I'll be riding the snot out of this thing.

DSCN2171.jpg

DSCN2172.jpg

Got it in pieces today and applied the paint. I decided to keep the foot brake even though it's pretty stupid. I hope I get used to it because as of right now I'm not able to get to it %100 in an emergency. But it's cool and the front brake works very well. I added some sound proofing in the lunch boxes/saddle bags and jenna Saykwa donated its shifter. The tank plate was made from the back shield of a 1956 Frigidaire Imperial fridge. I kept it as is, I find the oxidized finish gives it character. The bike runs real tight in or out of the saddle, no flex. The 65 psi tires make it very responsive. This thing glides up, down or on flat ground. I love it.

I'm posing for now. Still debating about fenders and what to do next.

DSCN2179.jpg

DSCN2189.jpg

DSCN2182.jpg

I made the awkward bolts and open seat tube vanish with the rat bikers duct tape, hockey tape. :)

DSCN2183.jpg

Left box, tools and spare tube.
DSCN2180.jpg

Right box, fuel cell... huuuuuuh I mean refreshments. :mrgreen:
DSCN2190.jpg

Feel free to copy and/or improve this design.

Mine will be running 5.56mm ammo cans for saddlebags. Bolted to the rack (once I find where it disappeared to)... I know it was in the garage in April.

Did you use the stem, bar and grips off a step through frame? They flow really well with the overall look. Going to the big flea market this weekend, looking for a similar set up for mine. I run 15" rise on my motorcycle, pedal bike being built along the same lines. Only new part so far is the cheap "Schwinn" seat, all the rest is repurposed junk from my farm.

Too bad you are so far away, I've got wire feeds, gas welders and a full blacksmith shop (coal forge).

Hey Scruffy, those parts came from the junk bin. I thought of using ammo cans but they are too heavy for my taste even though they do look awesomely cool. Can't wait to see what you come up with your build. I might have to make a second one myself once my kid sees it in person.

If you lived close by, you bet I'd show up. :)

This build just gets better and better. So many cool details. I love the lunchboxes.

The speedometer face was burnt by the years so I decided to make a new one. I scanned the original and using Gimp with layers for reference I made a custom face. I decided on white since the whole bike is black and I wanted to have some contrast.

I printed the new face on postercard paper
DSCN2192.jpg

I then cut it out with a sharp X-Acto blade using the original face as a guide. I then glued the new face on the back of the old one using Pritt paper glue. This way I can always replace it if it burns off or if I get tired of it and make a new one.

DSCN2193.jpg

The needle was so dry that it was crumbling. I pulled my model building skills and super glued a new very thin piece of plastic that I fabricated into a new needle. I shot it with fluo red orange paint.

DSCN2194.jpg

DSCN2195.jpg

I installed everything and gave the "glass" a freshening up with a coat of Future floor wax using a Qtip. I converted it in metric since everything is faster in metric ;) The only thing is that the odometer requires the rider to do some math.

DSCN2196.jpg

The next step for this speedo is lighting. I plan to install a couple of very small LEDs with a switch. Most probably red.

Looking great, with thicker tires it would be bobber-licious :D
For the record, I´m copying the foot brake :)

Latest posts

Back