His/Hers '66 Birthyear Bikes - #1 Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My wife and I were both born in 1966. I have always wanted to build a nice custom cruiser, so I thought a couple of 1966 Schwinn middleweights would be a cool project. The boys bike is going to be a 1966 Typhoon powdercoated metalflake green and the girls bike is a 1966 Starlet that will be powdercoated metalflake purple. I wanted to keep them somewhat close to original, but I also want to add some personal custom touches to make them ours if that makes sense. Because I am a selfish SOB at times, I am starting on the boys bike!

I spent the last few weeks collecting parts and I got the Typhoon frame from the coaters today. The green is amazing. Looks kind of dark indoors, but is insane when the sun hits it. I'll post pics of the frame this weekend!...I'm hoping to make some great progress this weekend. I'll post plenty of pics along the way.

Here is the Typhoon getting ready to be coated!

66typhoon1.jpg

Re: His/Hers '66 Birthyear Bikes

Looking forward to seeing how your His/Hers build goes. I'm on my second one now.
Seems to be easier to say, "Well Honey, it's going to cost this much..." or "I can't shopping with you, I have to build OUR bikes" :lol:

It was dark by the time I got home, so I snapped a quick pic of the frame in the garage. Not the greatest, but you get the idea. Going to spend the evening cleaning up the cups, crank, bearings, etc.

66typhoon2.jpg

wheelymarko said:
Is that powder coating? Wow!!!

Yeah, but that is with a light hitting it. It is a little darker indoors, but it is crazy in the sun. I am really happy with it. I mean I didn't want an obnoxious loud color, but I wanted something with a subtle bling.

I am a little worried about the balloon panther fenders and the chunky Nirve whitewalls. I am hoping it all fits. If not, I am back to square one. I REALLY want to use these ducktail fenders with the big old train light up front.

Ok, so I realized a few days ago that I made a mistake. I planned to use the original fork, but the Panther style fenders have double indentations. That means I either need to run truss rods or a springer fork. I was out at Oz's place last weekend and he had an extra springer laying around and gave me a smoking deal (and a SUPER cool Indian Larry poster!)....so it looks like it's gonna be a springer.

66typhoon3.jpg

I cleaned up the crank, crank housing cups, headset and soaked all the bearings and greased them. Here she sits after one night. I had the guard mounted, but the bike is too clean to use the old rusty bolts, so in the morning I'm going to pick up some new shiny ones! I also need to finish mounting the fork and pick out a set of bars.

66typhoon4.jpg

Not a lot accomplished today. I did get some parts in the mail. A really nice green Schwinn "S" seat and a pair of green Schwinn glitter grips. These should be perfect for the bike.

66typhoon5.jpg

I installed the chain guard and the decals

66typhoon6.jpg

Also got the fork mounted and installed the stem/bars. I have another really cool sweep back bars that I might use instead. Gonna wait to see how it feels.

66typhoon7.jpg

Hoping to get the fenders installed tomorrow....

Actually I have some killer looking black rims for it. I have a two speed kick back hub, black rims and some big Nirve white walls with flame tread. I love the look of black rims with whitewalls!

Terry66 said:
Actually I have some killer looking black rims for it. I have a two speed kick back hub, black rims and some big Nirve white walls with flame tread. I love the look of black rims with whitewalls!
Even better!

Terry66 said:
It was dark by the time I got home, so I snapped a quick pic of the frame in the garage. Not the greatest, but you get the idea. Going to spend the evening cleaning up the cups, crank, bearings, etc.

66typhoon2.jpg

Looking Great I'll be watching the final products.

one a side note do you know what color of poweder coating that is the manufacturer name.

Man, it was a nice day in Ohio....Ended up putting in 20 miles on my road bike. Felt good to get out and pedal hard. I did manage to get the fenders mounted on my '66. It took some squeezing and a little bending to make the fenders fit, but they are on. I think she is really starting to take shape. I decided the seat post I had was a little too messed up, so I ordered a nicer one. I still need to make a call on the bars and get the wheels/tires mounted up. She looks a little "bling" right now, but I think the black wheels and whitewalls will give it just enough bite to not look like a garage princess.

66typhoon8.jpg

Wow! That's looking sharp. Most decked out Typhoon I've seen.
My wife saw your powder coating, now the gears are turning in here head for her Eliminator :D
So glad you got a hard driving ride in.
If I can get my Spaceliner out at a blistering pace, it always makes me feel better!

MplsCoaster said:
Wow! That's looking sharp. Most decked out Typhoon I've seen.
My wife saw your powder coating, now the gears are turning in here head for her Eliminator :D
So glad you got a hard driving ride in.
If I can get my Spaceliner out at a blistering pace, it always makes me feel better!

Well, you better have her turn her head when I post pics of the Starlet's powder coating. It will be a couple of weeks before it is sent out, but it is going to be an amazing purple metalflake. Today was the first really sunny day and I took the Typhoon outside. The coating is just stunning in the sun. I stood out in the driveway staring at it for a LONG time! :lol:

Latest posts

Back