High End Parts?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be they intended for cruisers or just something you've found in other disciplines of cycling that work well here.

I'm having a really hard time finding REALLY NICE Coaster brakes and Rims right now. Also just having a hard time finding rear hubs. 124mm seems so... unusual.

the parts I have found are just not up to the quality I am used to building with.

Any advice?

Where I will soon live requires Bicycle licensing. will that coaster alone be able to lock the rear wheel into a skid? so it's street legal?

really, bicycle licensing. I'd never even heard of such a thing.

SomaGroove said:
really, bicycle licensing. I'd never even heard of such a thing.

If they issue you a cool little metal license plate to put on your bike...it would be worth it. :p Gary

That is EXACTLY the first thing I said/asked.

they do not. just a card for your wallet.

Lame as heck!

So yeah, the Velosteel is a very reliable coaster brake, looks like a cheap piece of crap and only comes polished.

and no one knows of high end rims. like at all.

Does no one actually engineer or build things for cruisers?

What is high end to you?
I made my own hubs with Shimano coaster insides and mounted them on HED carbon fiber mountain bike rims. That is well over $1k.

If you think that looks like a cheap piece of crap, better not look at KT/Shimano/HiStop(KT does have some better looking HD alloy hubs now though). Handsome Cycles has showed a sealed bearing alloy coaster hub at Interbike for $140 and supposedly it's in their catalog but it doesn't show on their webpage. You're likely gonna have to build what you think you want yourself, it's all about price points and they ain't there for cruisers nothing to do with engineering.

SomaGroove said:
So yeah, the Velosteel is a very reliable coaster brake, looks like a cheap piece of crap and only comes polished.

and no one knows of high end rims. like at all.

Does no one actually engineer or build things for cruisers?

i guess i think either an old bendix red band or morrow is a pretty high quality piece of cruiser americana.

i'd run one of these shiny beauties over a fancy alloy shell with kt guts and a couple cartridge bearings inside it any day!

indeed, while there are fewer new 36h rims offered every day, a nos araya 7x is a pretty darn nice rim.

but that's only if 'high quality' means attractive to look at, pleasant to work with, and built to last.

and if 'cruiser' means a ballon tire bike.

i guess i'd want to know YOUR definition of those terms in regards to the op... :wink:

- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -

the 124mm spacing is no big deal, you can respace most hubs quite easily.

c.p.odom said:
What is high end to you?
I made my own hubs with Shimano coaster insides and mounted them on HED carbon fiber mountain bike rims. That is well over $1k.

that's closer! Do you have those bad boys posted in a thread? :D I may not intend to spend a grand on a wheel set. but I've got really fantastic hubs on my MTB and that Wheelset was only 189 dollars, mind you those good hubs are laced to less than impressive rims (Sun Ringle Disk Jockey's to Sun Ringle Equalizer 25's) and while they're not Chris King or even Hope. the hubs have been bomb proof. but If you're looking for an idea on what I want my build to be like, Right now I'm thinking of getting an IRD crank. and I'd like to repurpose as many MTB intended parts as I can.

socal_jack said:
If you think that looks like a cheap piece of crap, better not look at KT/Shimano/HiStop(KT does have some better looking HD alloy hubs now though). Handsome Cycles has showed a sealed bearing alloy coaster hub at Interbike for $140 and supposedly it's in their catalog but it doesn't show on their webpage. You're likely gonna have to build what you think you want yourself, it's all about price points and they ain't there for cruisers nothing to do with engineering.

I've seen the handsome, I like the handsome. If there is a way to actually get it I'm down. What of the SRAM units? how are those? I also need to find something powdercoatable/paintable if EVERYTHING comes in some version of silver. I'm happy to build wheels, or to modify parts, but I really don't have the time, resources or skill to machine a hub that would please me.

Bendix said:
i guess i think either an old bendix red band or morrow is a pretty high quality piece of cruiser americana.

i'd run one of these shiny beauties over a fancy alloy shell with kt guts and a couple cartridge bearings inside it any day!

indeed, while there are fewer new 36h rims offered every day, a nos araya 7x is a pretty darn nice rim.

but that's only if 'high quality' means attractive to look at, pleasant to work with, and built to last.

and if 'cruiser' means a ballon tire bike.

i guess i'd want to know YOUR definition of those terms in regards to the op... :wink:

- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -

the 124mm spacing is no big deal, you can respace most hubs quite easily.

those bendix red bands sure do clean up nicely!

The velocity P35 and Pyscho's come in 35 mm and 31.5 mm respectively. which from what I understand is not cruiser wide. the Surly Large Marge is cruiser wide at 65mm. but has machined sidewalls, If I try to glaze those to paint them I'm concerned I'll have to paint them too thick and deal with cracking and flaking as the rim flexes.I really want to run a tire like the Fat Frank or Black Floyd. and I'm told wider rims are a must.

So yes balloon tire. but I'm coming from a world where all out parts are built to withstand nuclear winter. It's why I'm starting with a Felt and not some nice classic bike. how do I go about seeing what hubs I can respace to 124? is there a Sheldon Brown article on this?

Oh good lord, those are BREATH taking! too bad there isn't a Rear hub for cruisers... and I can imagine what Rim would do that front hub justice...

But I've bookmarked your facebook page, there may some day be other bikes I want your parts on!

Soma;

I am planning on a coaster hub. It will be a three piece shell similar to my others but with modern coaster internal parts but with custom external parts.
The only problem is it will be REALLY EXPENSIVE!

In the meantime, until that is available, how about using a 'nice' freewheel rear c/w a quality brakeset? To a certain extent, wide tires do fit narrower rims if you cant find the quality rims you want in wide.
Adapt, adjust and overcome :wink: .

c.p.odom said:
Soma;

I am planning on a coaster hub. It will be a three piece shell similar to my others but with modern coaster internal parts but with custom external parts.
The only problem is it will be REALLY EXPENSIVE!

I'm still interested.

gcrank1 said:
In the meantime, until that is available, how about using a 'nice' freewheel rear c/w a quality brakeset? To a certain extent, wide tires do fit narrower rims if you cant find the quality rims you want in wide.
Adapt, adjust and overcome :wink: .

because Felt Canvases do not have brake bosses.

c.p.odom said:
i would take a look at the new 650c MTB rims.

Why?

SomaGroove said:
c.p.odom said:
......how do I go about seeing what hubs I can respace to 124? is there a Sheldon Brown article on this?

any bolt on hub with a sufficiently long axle will be ok. just mix/match/add/subtract spacers between cone and locknut and build your wheel accordingly. :wink:

All my hubs are 130-135mm

So do I just go for road/BMX hubs then? I believe road hubs are 120mm. at least the last ones I worked on were.

Road hubs on a cruiser seems.... Hmmm.

SomaGroove said:
All my hubs are 130-135mm

So do I just go for road/BMX hubs then? I believe road hubs are 120mm. at least the last ones I worked on were.

Road hubs on a cruiser seems.... Hmmm.

Here's what I did on my build-off bike, 130-135 is no problem as I used 2-3/8" spacers, 1 on either side for 130mm rear on a 110 OLD hub(but the axle was a long 175mm intended for a 700c build)), jsut shy of perfect 2-1/2" spacers would probably fit a 135 near perfect. I laced that hub into a WTB MTB rim, that was the 32H build inan earlier reply. The biggest beeotch so far was bending the brake arm, and now it's too short for the built-in bracket.

d17d74c6.jpg

bfd26577.jpg
c1b7d539.jpg

Latest posts

Back