Higgins longshot

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know this may be a longshot, but would anyone know what model this 24" J.C. Higgins may be? This is the only photo I have of it. Owner is offering it to me (and 2 older Schwinn lightweights) and is saying it has a Higgins Made in Germany badge. I was under the impression that the German Higgins bikes were all lightweight frames. Any help is always appreciated!

image.jpg

You got me there. No clue what the market will bear on that. It looks kinda cool, but it's 24" and I don't like cotter crank bikes so I personally would bail on anything higher than 20 bucks.

It definitely is west German built
(but looks very similar to a 24" Columbia)
if you check out the Higgins gallery
look for a cruiser with the same crank set up
I have seen a couple of 26" on there but no 24"
although I am not that surprised at that size they are not very desirable/popular

Kinda funny, but it is full of creaks and rattles. The cottered crank is not sloppy at all but biggest problem is the gooseneck, its really light weight steel and starting to crack. :eek:
The handlebars (Original?)are rusty and bend too. I'm gonna have to tear into it one day - hope it takes a standard size. :grin:

I was never able to find any information supporting the strike theory. But, Murray opened a new factory in 56, so I think that's why we see all the imports around that year, -Adam

1956-sears-straight-bar.jpg

J.C. Higgins “Straight bar” .

• 24 and 26 inch models. 26×2 1/8 or 24 1/8 Balloon tires. Coaster brake. 3 piece crank.
  • Made in West Germany. Possibly made by Stelber.
  • Price $41.45 for either 26″ boys and girls models.
  • Price $40.45 for either 24″ boys and girls models.
https://solex5000.wordpress.com/imported-jc-higgins-bicycles/

1956-sears-straight-bar.jpg

J.C. Higgins “Straight bar” .

• 24 and 26 inch models. 26×2 1/8 or 24 1/8 Balloon tires. Coaster brake. 3 piece crank.
  • Made in West Germany. Possibly made by Stelber.
  • Price $41.45 for either 26″ boys and girls models.
  • Price $40.45 for either 24″ boys and girls models.
https://solex5000.wordpress.com/imported-jc-higgins-bicycles/
Stelber was an import co., based out of NY. They didn't make any bikes, but they did import them, and badged them as their own. They probably also sourced some parts from NY neighbors CBC/Ross. Most Stelber stuff probably came from Daimler/Puch/Steyr, who had factories in W. Germany and Austria. -Adam

Latest posts

Back