Hidden Treasure: Class 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How's it going? I've been laying off the forum builds, but as this MBBO started on my Birthday, figured it was a sign to get involved. I bought this Electra aluminium frame at the flea for $8, notice the frame where the seat post goes is knackered! I managed to get a seat clamp tight on there, but the seat post still won't tighten enough, thus it's perfect for a 'Nana. Even the stock forks are difficult to find with such a long headstock stem, (I wanted something older looking), these mocked on it just now I've shortened with a grinder, but I may still shorten them a little. I'm gonna build pretty much from my parts stash, but I thought "Another man's treasure" sounded a little iffy as a title!

46501187_10216269616189392_5957725195580997632_n.jpg

There's been a few builds lately with seat post issues and some have solved the problem with a post configured like a stem, with a threaded rod, a pinch bolt and a nut and washer on top. The old aluminum Silver King frames were like that and it works well. The pinch bolt doesn't need to be a wedge either it can be a cone, with the post slotted at the bottom. This spreads the force evenly. It seems you may have solved your problem. But this solution may be worth saving for a future issue if you don't explore it now...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back