Hiawatha???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a bike I want on CL. Its advertised as a 1943 Hiawatha and they want $200 for it. I offered $100 and they said come pick it up. Is this bike worth $100? Im new to this so any info would be great.. Thanks!!!

5G15Hd5Me3I83Mb3H7c7e6489b31b49b61a68.jpg

5Lc5E25J13K33L83Jec7e73d174ea8b4f1ad5.jpg

5L95G45Ka3E73Nb3H1c7e376838d7efdc174c.jpg

I don't think $100 is a bad price if the rust is not structural and there are no major alignment problems. The bike is not from 1943 though, it dates to between 1950 and 1954.

Yes this bike is worth 100.00
Why?
1) Because you said already that you "want" it
2) You made an offer to the owner and he accepted it. It is Yours Now.

Never make an offer to someone and then back out.
Looks like a nice bike. You will be very happy with it. Ride it around and everyone will say how cool it is.

honestherman said:
Yes this bike is worth 100.00
Why?
1) Because you said already that you "want" it
2) You made an offer to the owner and he accepted it. It is Yours Now.

Never make an offer to someone and then back out.
Looks like a nice bike. You will be very happy with it. Ride it around and everyone will say how cool it is.

I agree. always follow through and keep your word. I have been on the other end and was on my way to pick a bike up on saturday and the guy sold it before I got there. it is very frustrating. its even more frustrating that the guy selling it and the other guy that bought it had no integrity as the buyer knew I was on my way and made a offer over the asking price to steal the deal. please keep your word, because without it you have nothing. ____ just a rant, sorry. yes its a good deal for both of you.

I agree with the above posts on follow through, but I can see a couple points of potential wiggle room here.

First, we don’t have the full transcription of the verbal transaction. If you make an offer while haggling you still have the option to make some adjustment before the metaphorical handshake closes the deal.

We also don’t have a verbatim text of the closing of the conversation following the statement “come pick it up”. If the buyer said “I’ll be over to get it” then he needs to be his word. If he said “I’ll think about it” or “I need to check some sources for information and I will get back to you” then the deal was not complete and the buyer has not committed to the purchase and seller also has the right to move on to another buyer.

The other point is that the bike was advertised as something it is not (the year) I tend to believe that this is a typical thing as most sellers can only make a best guess at what they have and are not trying to defraud buyers. I also believe that a buyer needs to be willing to take responsibility for knowing what they need to know before purchasing. While the bike is not as advertised this is not a complete out for the buyer unless he is certain that the information was provided to defraud.

Never make an offer until you are sure you want something. Once you make the offer and it is accepted that is it. DONE DEAL.
Verbal or Written. A man is as good as his word.
But lets see what happens here. Did you go pick it up or back out on this deal ?
Let us know

rms37 said:
I don't think $100 is a bad price if the rust is not structural and there are no major alignment problems. The bike is not from 1943 though, it dates to between 1950 and 1954.

Looks like skiptooth chainring and rear facing dropouts, maybe a little earlier than 50-54?

cman said:
rms37 said:

Looks like skiptooth chainring and rear facing dropouts, maybe a little earlier than 50-54?

No, the dropouts on this bike define that period (1950-1954) for its production.

Latest posts

Back