Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just for fun: Which bicycle do you like most?

• Stevens commuter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Union cycle truck

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Green fixed gear

• Old commuter (white tires)

• Klunker

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Concorde American Eagle (red)

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

My name is Bart, from "Twente" the Netherlands.
I am reading and seeing all kinds of good stuff on this forum for a couple of years and I like the style of bicycles I see here. Now I wanted to share some builds with you guys on this forum.

miAi3z.jpg

Thats me on my Klunker bike during a 50km race. More pictures below.

I work as a Mechanical Engineer and sold my thirsty car to go cycling nearly every day.

In the title I promised some pictures so:

d2mCYH.jpg

9pAxmK.jpg

My singlespeed daily ride.
28" wheels with a Shimano CB-e110 hub. 48-18 teeth combination and average speeds of 30km/hr (18.64 Mph).

rEX19U.png

With my self built one wheel trailer.

N79hDi.jpg

Older daily with a Sturmey Archer S2C kickshift hub and coaster brake.

004jzp.jpg

Also a daily from a while ago, now it has a different colour:

PGyIWO.jpg

With a Sturmey Archer RX RC5 for a rear hub, belt drive and hope front brakes, this was quite an expensive build.

gcSEwB.jpg

A fixed gear with 28" sparta moped wheels and wooden handlebars. This was a really cheap build which was made with leftover parts.

3X4q1o.png

My 24" Klunker bike. Most cheap and fun mountainbike I ever had. It features 24x3.0 tires and a Sturmey Archer S1C singlespeed hub.

Some bicycles are sold, some still in my shed.

And my currect projects:
Jx1vpy.jpg

tmOaYd.jpg

nh9z3u.jpg

XfObFi.jpg

A (1988?) Union Transporter. 24” rear wheel and 20” front.
Disassembled it, cleaned the bicycle and all parts, repaired the Shimano Type B hub. Put some big fat tires on the bike.
Now I am working on the “bulky” wooden box on the front. To be continued…

v4yiR6.jpg

rRHDYh.jpg

The Concorde American Eagle. A bike for commuting/vacation trips.
26” wheels with Schwalbe table top tires. Sturmey Archer wheels with drum brakes. I love the retro vibe on this one!
I built a front and low rear rack. It is mostly a front loader bike.
To do’s: Shifter and brake cables. Maybe some fenders, haven’t decided yet…

And back in the day, me and my brother participated in BMX racing for several years. I think this forum can appreciate the retro pictures:
3l32dw.jpg

1v0c2s.jpg

If I missed anything or you have questions about bikes/parts… just ask them!

Last edited:
I like the Concorde and the klunker. Those 24x3s look massive! Can we get more info on the Concorde? Maybe a build thread, if you have pictures?

*Also: how TALL are you? That's a lot of seatpost!

@ifitsfreeitsforme, Thank you!

@MattiThundrrr, thanks!
I will post a build thread soon, still have some pictures how I bought the bike.

And I am 1.89m or 6.2 ft. Sometimes quite a disadvantage when buying bikes, especially cruisers are a bit too small for me.

Okay, I also need to know about the belt drive bike. And the weird seatpost on the black bike in front of the bricks.

The Belt drive bike is a bike I bought from "Timmermans Fietsen" (litoral translation = Carpenter bicycles, but Timmermans is a last name :) )
This guy builds high quality bicycles from old frames and modern parts. Check out his website, you will see some beautiful bikes and details.
Back to the belt driven bicycle: The bike was pink, pink from the Old "Giro" newspaper back in the day. The bike was built to celebrate the first Giro d Italia run here in the Netherlands. I powdercoated it yellow because you can't sell a pink bike, even with high quality parts.

Both bikes, the black one with white tires and the belt drive bike had a seatpost which allowed me to have a more comfortable position. The seatpost angle is about 66 degrees which (for me) is nice for an upright position, like a city cruiser.
My favorite position is a seatpost angle of around 73 degrees, so it is sporty and relaxed.
Thats why I put a "reverse setback seatpost" on my bike :p

I will put more pictures and builds in a thread soon, Ive been busy finishing my bike shed and stuff in the house (gotta keep the wife happy) ;)

@ Imaginos and Dr Tankenstein:

My old bicycle repair shack was the attic, now that I've built a big shed I want more bicycles.

My boss says: The best number of bicycles you can own is always one more than the current number you have.

Hope nothing got lost in translation there :)

And again, thanks for the welcome!

The best number of bicycles you can own is always one more than the current number you have.

Hope nothing got lost in translation there :)
!
Nope, nothing lost in translation. There is a mathematical equation to express your boss's saying:
The number of bikes needed is N+1, where N represents the number of bikes you currently have.

Welcome Bart.
Great intro and an awesome collection.
I currently have a Kronan and 1970s Raleigh low gravity bike among my European section.
I'm going to try to pry a neglected VanMoof from my lazy friend's hands soon.
I hope I spot some of your upcoming projects.

Welcome Bart.
Great intro and an awesome collection.
I currently have a Kronan and 1970s Raleigh low gravity bike among my European section.
I'm going to try to pry a neglected VanMoof from my lazy friend's hands soon.
I hope I spot some of your upcoming projects.

Thank you!
I always thought the VanMoof quality is a bit crappy, but there are quite some sturdy survivors! Are you going to restore it, or just ride it?

Thanks again everyone!

Hi Bart,
If and when I get my hands on the VanMoof, I suspect it will need a little tidying.
The bike has lived outside under covered shelter and not been ridden in a few years. Of course the lights in frame are not working.
My friend is a very large man who has not ridden it as much as he intended.
He may have ridden it 200 miles if that, so general condition should be okay otherwise.
He went over the top with Brooks equipment and had me replace the Velo Orange hammered fenders when they got tarnished after a season.
Again a few years at rest it will need a good going through and tidying.
I like the uniquenessd in design, lighter weight(other than the built in lock) and internal geared hub.
I haven't set eyes on the bike in awhile, but think it is a worthy project and addition to my fleet.
With those an

Latest posts

Back