Hi from West OZ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

What a fantastic forum this is!

I'm from Western Australia, and I'm looking to tackle a custom cruiser build in the very near future.

I've got a fixie that I built with a locally made frame - I stripped it, had it powdercoated then bolted on a bunch of parts purchased from eBay and local classifieds.

I also recently picked up a cheap dragster (that someone else has built/painted), then fitted a seat post so I could actually ride it, and also fitted a makeshift set of mini bars & pegs so my young son can sit on the front of the banana seat with me. It works surprisingly well and he loves going for rides too!

For my cruiser build I plan on fabricating a frame from scratch, and ideally I'd like to run a 26x4" rear wheel, and a 29x3" front (though a 26x3" might have to do), 3 speed hub with coaster brake and suicide shifter, and a nice set of chrome triple trees. At this stage I think I will start with some 38mm/1.5" mild steel tube. Sounds simple...right?

I have plenty of questions that I hope to find answers to on here, as so far my efforts have proved rather fruitless from the various emails I've sent out.

Where are the best places to find the hardware I'll need? So far I've got Ruff Cycles, Classic Cycles, Sutter Street Cruisers and The Cruiser Shop websites open - some have answered me vaguely, and others not at all. I'm quite sure shipping to Australia will hurt too...and I've not found any suitable wheel sets locally so far.

So far the main question I have is how do I know that a bottom bracket/crankset will work with a wide rear wheel and hub and provide chain clearance? I'm not sure what dimensions I'll need for a crankset, and most I've looked at online don't seem to provide a width. I'd prefer to use a 1 piece crank if possible, but if a 3 piece is easier then so be it.

Also - what length crank arms are best suited to a bike of this style? 7"? 5.5"?

Anyway, I look forward to getting involved in the custom bike scene, and hope to learn a thing or two along the way, and if anyone could point me in the right direction to find some relevant builds on this forum that would be great too.

Thanks!

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!

Start up a build thread with some drawings and your questions and the answers will come.

Unfortunately finding cool parts in Aust is hard, only place I know that is still open and have been for a while is Saintside in Melbourne, they mainly cater to the 20" lowrider crowd though and shipping to you via AustPost is probably not much cheaper than the overseas stuff.

ChainReactionCycles out of the UK does some good deals and cheap/fast shipping but they are more the MTB/road side of things.

Really in Aust eBay is your friend, but it is still going to cost at least 50% more than what it would in the USA.

Oooo, just had a thought, hit up Jube Customs on the Gold Coast, they may have a 26x4 left over and they sometimes have some cool stuff at reasonable prices.

If you really are struggling I have two 26x4 rims without hubs and one with a single speed coaster, but they are the BigW fatbike ones, not overly high quality, and shipping would be a fair bit with AusPost anyway...

Latest posts

Back