Hendee racer.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I mentioned in the discussion area, this will be a tribute to the first Indian boardtrack bike. George Hendee was the president of Indian motorcycles. I'm starting with the pile o parts in the bottom picture. Early 70s Schwinn continental frame, 28" wheels from oldy57, dogleg crank, etc... I have some 700x40c creme tires on order and I plan on painting the rims black. I would like a early Shelby sprocket (the one that looks like Swiss cheese). The bars will be cut and re-welded to look like Indian racer bars. I have a black brooks on order from Nashbar. I will need to fab a seat post, seat stay, gas and oil tank.
DSC_2003.jpg

The inspiration.
Picture.jpg

I

when i built my black boardtracker, i had pictures of 2 bikes i wanted to build. the one you posted and the 1912.

eventually i decide on the 1912, but i came really really close to building that bike.

i can't wait to see what ya do with it, your bikes are the reason i built a boardtracker in the first place.
good luck with the build, i'll be watching.

btw i ran into an old timer last month (louis, bari) who owns/restoring the oldest harley in canada (1910 i believe)
he has a lot of really nice old harley's and indian's, but he sure was excited about the 1910.
you can read about him here.

http://www.ballsbiker.com/features/indian.php

Starting to collect more of the pieces. Got my 700x40c tires for the 28" rims. I have a front sprocket on the way and I bought a Brooks seat with a 20% off coupon from Nashbar. Sunday I spent some quality time with the grinder and a file removing unwanted guides, tabs and brackets.
Picture031.jpg

Picture029-1.jpg

That is my favorite and most eluded build. I started it like 3 or 4 times and stopped. I was motorizing it and all. I ended up building the Humpback Indian. I never seen the red racer only the black or super dark blue one. What color are you going with? Are you going to split the handle bars up and and and.....dang sound like a kid on a sugar HIGH..........but are ya?? Im going to be WATCHING ....watching....ok went back and reread things after I came down a bit....YOUR BUILDING EVERYTHING YES!!!
Terry
I need caffeine

Looking good so far. Those "monkey on a stick" racers are something else. No suspension, seat just inches from the rear wheel and good for about 70 miles per hour!

as Galtbacken stated the shelby looks right if youre going 100 point accuracy.......
personally i really like the fauber one though(send it my way...ill put it to good use :mrgreen: ) since its not commonly seen

OK, I have a favourite now!
Love what you´re doing with the bars, are you welding it?
Please, don´t forget to show us the tank fabrication, it may come in hand for a build I have in mind :wink: :D

Some more progress pictures. I got the bars welded after making some additional pieces and using a longer center portion. I had to sacrifice another pair of bars for that. I started building the bike in CAD so I can make patterns for the tank and work out size etc... I also picked up some rods, tubes and sheet metal for the seat post and tank. Oh, and the decals I had made arrived! I'm not showing those until the last minute. :wink:

Picture039.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Picture043.jpg

CADIndian1.jpg

CADIndian2.jpg

CADIndian3.jpg

i forgot about what you do for a living until i saw that :!:
please tell me youre doing the tank in steel! if you want pm me and ill tell you a really simple way to do it

Latest posts

Back