Help with a Murray Chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here, only been taking bikes apart for a couple years...reading your forum from the weeds, of course! Already I have learned tons from you guys, thanks for that!
I am rebuilding my Free Spirit Chopper and had no idea the headset would consist of a bolt and plastic shims. There are those plates or pans where the bearing cups usually are, can they be knocked out and put back easily so I can paint the frame or should they stay. They look like they were pressed in like cups. Also, what do I add for lubrication here when I put it back together? Anything? Is there something I can do to improve the setup, or do they work out okay. No complaint about the operation, just want it to last. Thanks! 20160712_224331.jpg

Hey there, great bike!

I restored one of these choppers and didn't know that they had that set up either. The bearings are pressed in the frame and can be knocked out and then replaced. I added a little grease to get them to slide in the headset easier. I put the original bearings back in, they work fine with the fork set up and the easiest way to get the bike back together.

I think use the originals and you'll be fine.

Thanks, that's the kind of answer I like to hear. Nice and simple haha
Really fun to ride, just rebuilding for myself now and my kid later. No muffler chainguard or tank but that's ok just want to make it look cool and ride nice.
Open to any suggestions on the color, btw....

Latest posts

Back