help on ID for my stingray frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Chaplain Bob Here. found this site after extensive searches! can anyone help me ID this stingray frame? I think it was made in Grenville, but don't know for sure.

On the head tube reads the following:
E500298 {found last digit}

Bike can be seen here:
bike-1.jpg

Bike is pink, looks like original banana seat. Because of health and time issues I do plan on selling it. just being upfront.

YUP , PHOTOBUCKET WORKS BETTER THAN PICASS WEB! THANKS!
Thanks for the help!

bob

still not working. i wish it was easier to post pics on here i spent an hour and a half just trying to post a pic

The serial number is either not complete or missing a digit, or is not from an American made bike.

The serial numbers on late Stingrays generally have the second digit as P (1978), Q (1979), R (1980) or S (1981). I have seen 1 very late Fairlady with a T date code.

After American production ended, Giant made some of these bikes, and I have one in my collection that was bought for a young girl in 1987- these Fairladys have weird frames and forks and the pink is more of a pale metallic color. The American Fairladys were more of a solid color pepto-bismol pink.

Mine has 22" wheels (good luck finding those!) with whitewalls.

--Rob

Thanks for the information, the corrected serial number is E500298. the 8 is barely visible on the post. Just lightly stamped. My camera doesn't want to take a macro of it.

G'day!

bob

im just sayn i love this website but when it comes to stuff like that it doesnt seem very user friendly if your not familiar with it takes a long time. also i wish it would preview the post when you run your mouse over it so you kinda see what it is before you click on it... just throwin suggestions out there

upnorth1 said:
Thanks for the information, the corrected serial number is E500298. the 8 is barely visible on the post. Just lightly stamped. My camera doesn't want to take a macro of it.

G'day!

bob

Hi Bob,

I'm gonna guess that maybe that's a "ES" not an E5. That fork is very similar to another early-80's Fairlady I parted out. I think mine was an 82. Yours would be an '81 if that's an S not a 5.

Look closely at the headbadge if it's still intact- there should be 4 tiny, i mean tiny, digits stamped near the center. That would confirm a date. Something like 1551 would mean May of 1981 (155'th day of a year ending in 1).

It looks to be a normal late model Chicago built Stingray.

I probably have a chainguard if you're looking for one. Oh, on second look- that's a Lil Chik, not a Fairlady. It's the smaller girl's frame. The S curve is tighter in the front down tubes and the rear stays are a bit shorter to make these sit lower. Also correct to have the lucky-7, 36-tooth sprocket.

This is the 1981 catalog page. Looks like the fork didn't make it into those promo photos. That kind of thing happened a lot with Schwinn's catalogs. They didn't care too much about the kids bikes to be honest.

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1981_1990/1981_40.html

--Rob

Heres' another picture of the fork. I think instead of selling, this is becoming a good restoration candidate. it may even fit with my Corvairs ! {I have 4 of 'em}

bike-2.jpg

and yes, the badge is intact, but it is dark in the garage, I'll look tomorrow for the date code.

are decals still available?

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT, THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

Well I checked the ID stamped on the post, indeed it is E500298

The numbers stamped on the Schwinn face plate are 1375, double struck. so the bike was either built on Friday May 17th, 1985 or Saturday May 17th,1975. My bet is 1985, what say you?

again, thanks for all the help!

bob

Latest posts

Back