Helmets Helmets Helmets

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

It's been a while. I hope everyone is doing well and made it through the holidays intact. Anyway, I was thinking about helmets. I don't really wear one, and the thing about our cool bikes is that most helmets don't match the style or panache of the bikes (this includes BMX or Skateboard helmets). Quite frankly, they don't even look like they'd do much protecting anyway. In Austin, where I live, adults aren't legally required to wear them anyway but if I were or chose to, I think I'd go with a motorcycle novelty helmet. I have no scientific proof but I figure they'd protect our noggins enough and look much less goofy than the usual selection. For those of you required to wear a helmet, what do you wear?

MTB helmet when commuting,mtb or touring. I like them for maximum ventilation. I generally don't wear a helmet when cruising about.

I saw listings for helmets that the horse show riders wear that looked like the could be rat rodded into non conformal bike helmets,but the nearest equestrian shop did not stock enough for me "to be properly fitted". So,on the trails I wear a Bell Alien Invader to which I added my own over size sun visor. When mixing up with motorists I am,and therefore wear a Nutcase Brain Bucket.

When I cruise, I don't wear a helmet, when I ride the trails, I have a Bell mountain bike helmet. I have a brand new Pro-Tec skateboard helmet that has a little more "style" than my other helmets.

When on the moped I use a DOT approved MX helmet, I added a vintage motorcycle helmet for the moped with a bubble shield and that helmet is hot, so not good for summer.

I use a Specialized road bike helmet when on a skinny tire bike, a Nutcase star/stripes helmet on most cruisers (as well as in the winter) and a Fox MTB helmet on the trails. I admit that I occasionally neglect to wear one if riding around the yard or in the house. But I'd never go out amongst traffic or between the trees without one, I've crashed too many times.

On the topic, I'd say that assuming that helmets did little based on thinking "they don't look like they'd offer much protection anyway" is a bit folly, IMHO. People will always argue this one either way, right or wrong. But they exist and are designed for a reason. If they did not provide protection, reduce the chance of head trauma, they wouldn't exist. By the same token, many novelty motorcycle helmets are strictly that - novelties. The vast majority of them do not conform to any standards for design and testing. They exist to be novel and side step laws where they exist. They do not exist to protect your head, per se. Motorcycle helmets that do not meet Snell requirements may well be more like to cause further injury than prevent it. On a bicycle, even a cruiser, I'd far rather use a well designed bike helmet than a silly biker skull cap or German military style helmet in the event of a crash. That is just my opinion, however, my head (and its contents) are important to me and I believe its in best interest to protect it. Even a low speed fall can cause injury and damage.

I don't wear one, I make me sad.
I don't wear orange vests, I make me sad...
I do use lights but they don't protect my head.

On the very rare occasions that I do wear a helmet, I wear exactly as you said, a novelty motorcycle helmet. The small black one with a bit of bill in front. I figure they may not be DOT rated for highways, but it'll be better than nothing.

Again, usually I don't wear one.

I wear a skateboard helmet when every I ride with my son(cruising or exercising), but don't usually where one otherwise.

I have to admit I have resisted wearing a helmet for a long time but have recently given in. A few years ago I was still skiing without a helmet when a friend suggested "Not wearing a helmet is like not wearing a condom. Sooner or later you will wish you had" I guess he was right because now I have a son and I need to wear a bike helmet to be a good example. That said I still think it feels better cruising without one.

I wear a helmet when i go on a real trailride.... it's a Giro mtb helmet. I wear that same one while coaching the SO Cycling team, b/c of role model-type reasons. The rest of the time, especially while cruising, I don't wear a helmet at all.

That being said, a little part of me dies when I see pics of folks on cruiser bicycles wearing motorcycle helmets, b/c it looks like they're trying to fool themselves that their bicycle is a moto. Granted, they may not be, but that sure is what it looks like, and it's a sad sight imo.

I wear a helmet when i go on a real trailride.... it's a Giro mtb helmet. I wear that same one while coaching the SO Cycling team, b/c of role model-type reasons. The rest of the time, especially while cruising, I don't wear a helmet at all.

That being said, a little part of me dies when I see pics of folks on cruiser bicycles wearing motorcycle helmets, b/c it looks like they're trying to fool themselves that their bicycle is a moto. Granted, they may not be, but that sure is what it looks like, and it's a sad sight imo.

It's probably just because they think those motorcycle helmets look cooler than bike or skateboard helmets. Skateboard helmets are okay, but bicycle helmets are all universally ugly, in my opinion.

I only wear a helmet when I feel the risk warrants it. When I'm on the road bike I'll wear a helmet. When I'm bike-walking the dog I don't. I wouldn't put a helmet on to go for a run, so why should I wear one when I'm riding at the same speed? Sure, I suppose it would be safer to wear one whenever I ride, but it would also be safer to wear a helmet when driving or when in the shower.

Here is Australia you have to wear a helmet when riding a bike, I have two, the green army style skate helmet you see in my videos for cruising around with and a more expensive Toiga roadbike helmet for when dealing with traffic. Believe it or not the Toiga is very comfortable and breathes well, it is by far the better helmet but just looks so wrong when riding a cruiser or muscle bike...

Luke.

I have been using the same Bell mtb(?) helmet for 20+ years, it vents and in cooler weather I pop on a scullcap (welders type cheapie) beneath and has a smoked visor. We got them waayyy back and they are comfy & light and I like the eye shade. From motorcycling I know that mostly they will protect from slide rash more than impact, but do you really know how little impact it takes to crush some scull or cause brain injury or death?
I think its a wonder kids survive their childhood, and I do engage in 'risk exercise activities' so Im maybe not the best advisor.

I get that it doesn't take much of an impact. There are people in Austin who've died from getting cold cocked and then hitting their heads on the curb. I'm wondering if a novelty helmet for a motorcycle is as good as a bicycle helmet.

I'm wondering if a novelty helmet for a motorcycle is as good as a bicycle helmet.

My personal feeling is, no, they aren't. But that also depends on which bicycle helmet you compare to. At the end of the day, while I feel strongly about the issue, I'm all for everyone being able to make their own personal choice. But if asked, I will strongly encourage my viewpoint...

I dont wear one on a bike but had motorcycles for years and ALWAYS wore one. It should be a law on a motorcycle.Funny thing South Carolina has no helmet law. All you see here is white trash on Harleys with no helmet trying to look cool. Listen to the news and they are being killed off like flies in wrecks too. To me they dont have anything in their head to protect anyways.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back