Hello from the Detroit Area

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As seems to be the case with most intros... been visiting the forums for a long time, following build-offs, individual builds and how-tos. Most of my early memories of summer involve riding a bike of some kind or another. Bicycle disassembly and assembly being the introduction to tools and mechanical systems.

Currently my wife and I have a couple late-70's Schwinn ten speeds, a men's Traveler III and women's Sprint. Both in great shape... they've hung from the garage ceiling for about 25 years before recently being put back into service. Also have a couple mid-60's 3-speeds that were saved from the landfill. A men's '65 Hercules, with incredible patina, and a women's '66 Sears. Both black with new red wall tires.

Also taking space in the garage are a few pedal vehicles that I built for Burning Man. Inspiration for these were similar vehicles seen at Burning Man, and the Kinetic Sculpture Racers that influenced the design of those vehicles. I've included a couple pictures below. If interested more details can be seen here:
http://www.thirstybeachlandscaping.com/quadbike/

I've got a pretty good parts pile from these past projects and have the time to build something again. Much of the inspiration for this latest project has come from this site. I wanted to acknowledge that by joining up and starting a build thread.

Thanks,
Tom

bigdog.jpg

dogsled.jpg

boxer.jpg

winterHibernation.jpg

Holy cow!! Those bikes are sweeeet!! I didn't realize how big they were by the first pix. I went to college in Detroit, too bad I didn't run into you there. I would love to see these in person. Welcome aboard.

Wow man, you have some serious skills, imagination and time on your hands :grin:. Im over on the other side of the state from ya, welcome to the site! ....PS, im Jealous of all tat Musky fishin you guys got over there! :thumbsup:

As seems to be the case with most intros... been visiting the forums for a long time, following build-offs, individual builds and how-tos. Most of my early memories of summer involve riding a bike of some kind or another. Bicycle disassembly and assembly being the introduction to tools and mechanical systems.

Currently my wife and I have a couple late-70's Schwinn ten speeds, a men's Traveler III and women's Sprint. Both in great shape... they've hung from the garage ceiling for about 25 years before recently being put back into service. Also have a couple mid-60's 3-speeds that were saved from the landfill. A men's '65 Hercules, with incredible patina, and a women's '66 Sears. Both black with new red wall tires.

Also taking space in the garage are a few pedal vehicles that I built for Burning Man. Inspiration for these were similar vehicles seen at Burning Man, and the Kinetic Sculpture Racers that influenced the design of those vehicles. I've included a couple pictures below. If interested more details can be seen here:
http://www.thirstybeachlandscaping.com/quadbike/

I've got a pretty good parts pile from these past projects and have the time to build something again. Much of the inspiration for this latest project has come from this site. I wanted to acknowledge that by joining up and starting a build thread.

Thanks,
Tom

View attachment 15580

View attachment 15581

View attachment 15582

View attachment 15583
Whoa! You can take the whole family on a bike ride with those cool vehicles.

Latest posts

Back