Hello from down under.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just joined up as I've found some time to work on my older bikes. As they are lower on the priority list I've had them for a while, not doing much. It all started with rescuing my childhood bike form my parents place about 15years ago and stripping it down. It's in primer now. I have the idea of putting these together riding them with my kids. My main passion is MTB, and that is where the money goes, so these dragsters (the local term) are done on the cheap.

I found this site when looking for inspiration. Some great bikes on here.

I found this Cyclops from council cleanup. When found it had been hacked. The saddle was in two bits held together by some shelving steel and duct tape. The stem was half cut through, like with a hacksaw, and bars missing. Replaced the bars with some that I widened and switched the saddle. As the guard and sissy bar were painted already I painted the bars etc to match and added the chainguard. Think I need to paint the seatpost now. It owes me a tin of paint and tin of spray glue. Everything else was found.
uYNcEq7.jpg

This Skywagen was off ebay, with another that I subsequently onsold, owes me $20. It came with the saddle on the Cyclops above. I repaired the saddle from the Cyclops from two rusty bits, split across the middle. Chose hessian (burlap) because cheap, and I didn't have any Mexican blankets around. I also used a spoke to hold the back guard in place as the stays were gone. Otherwise, except tyres (scrounged), this is in 'as purchased' condition. I rode it to work once for a laugh and it blew a tyre on the way home.
vJOKEN7.jpg

Aim to fill in the back of the seat one day, I've got a few large reflectors to choose from to whack on there.
1kee9TL.jpg

Thirdly, a 16" from ebay that came with a couple of others in poor condition that I have moved on.
5Lc3AVI.jpg

Not the original banana seat, it didn't come with one. No idea what they were thinking with the branding on this saddle. It's not for a BMX and what self respecting 16" sized rider is going to want to have 'baby land' stamped on their bike!
EPrvG28.jpg

Lastly, I picked up these two cruisers last week for cheap. Blue is an Electra Cruiser and black is a Mambo cruiser from our local department store, Big W. The blue one rides quite nicely, so I'm planning on making some fenders for it and will look out for some whitewalls, needs a new chain too it is quite rusty, but otherwise pretty good. The black one is quite rusty, and not as nice to ride, so I'll tart it up and move it on.
1ENw6dz.jpg

I've also spent a few hours dropping some weight from my BigW Hyper Mammoth, the equivalent of a US Mongoose Beast. It's good for beachside holidays now! Shaved around 4.5kg off it for very little cash. Only purchased soem 2nd hand tyres and an alloy seatpost.
1g6Grr0.jpg

Last edited:
Ha ha! yes, it is a bit of an odd collection - and not all of it. It isn't really meant to be a collection either, more a fleet of bikes each with their own purpose. As mentioned MTB is my passion, but I also get a kick out of building bikes. I've also got a nice new MTB trail bike, a decent fixie built on a lugged steel frame and a disc flat bar roadie that see regular usage. also got a, now vintage, Trek Y-11 set up with discs and single speed.

Huffnpuff
Today is my first day on Rat Rod . My new go to
site . I just picked up a Giant Gold Coast here in Florida . Only info I can find on the bike is in Ausi
Have you ever heard of this Model ?

Huffnpuff
Today is my first day on Rat Rod . My new go to
site . I just picked up a Giant Gold Coast here in Florida . Only info I can find on the bike is in Ausi
Have you ever heard of this Model ?
Sorry, I’m not familiar with that model. I don’t keep up with what is out there in cruiser bikes. I tend to get mine from kerbside pickup or opportunistic purchases on local classifieds.

Latest posts

Back