Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Heavyweight scratch build "FATBOB" On hold till after RRBBO8

LukeTheJoker said:
ShrinkBob?

9183788358_ce258db37b.jpg

Luke.
I like that... now just do it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Re: Heavyweight scratch build "FATBOB" On hold till after RRBBO8

We arrived home yesterday from our 14,500 km, (9,000 miles) 3 month Australian trip that we did while building "BigJim" during the 2013 buildoff and after parking the car I get out and look at FatBob, I guess my style and likes have changed since I started on it nearly a year ago, now it just looks clunky and amateurish... I love the concept of the single sided stays, but they look horrible! :roll:

So I did some thinking this afternoon, and combined some style features and ideas from "BigJim" and also from Bean's "Cycobilly Deluxe" I had the privilege of riding in Rockhampton on the way home. The single sided stays will be gone, replaced by my 8 spoke monster hub wheels, the complicated front forks will be gone and it will also lose another 2 feet in overall length!

Here is a very quick mock-up done in paint: From this:

8433757305_bce4e22f72.jpg

To this:

9565933899_ff966bf825.jpg

I may decide to run a lighter looking front tire yet too, will decide when I get there.

Let me know your opinions on the changes, good or bad...

Luke.

Re: Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES! THOUGHTS? OPINIONS?

I like the changes. I think you should change the name to Psycho BillyBob. :p

You know what's funny? This bike use to look SO big, but now it just looks tiny. I wonder why... :roll:

yoothgeye said:
You know what's funny? This bike use to look SO big, but now it just looks tiny. I wonder why... :roll:
:lol: I wonder... Could this be part of the reason?

9414689884_d82a8b57a3.jpg

"BigJim" is longer than FatBob ever was, even back in the early Cadillac design! It has also prompted the changes on this bike, BigJim does the big oversize cruiser so much better than this one ever did, and I know this one would never get a second glance in my collection if it had to compete with it, so it needs to go in a different direction, hence the smaller, more compact, more upright style...

Part of me just wants to cut the frame bends out of the frame and start the frame again from scratch, only thing stopping me is the huge amount of time that has gone into the frame so far, be a shame to just write all that off, but I guess I learnt a lot from it so it is not a waste entirely!

I can see an oversize muscle bike in the parts on the bike, it takes some imagination, but it is there, so I may end up heading that way... Knowing the way I work, there will be no real progress on this for a month while I sit around looking at it, and one day you will see an update and it will be sitting there all chopped up with the beginnings of a new frame pieced together... :lol:

Luke.

kingfish254 said:
I like the changes. I think you should change the name to Psycho BillyBob. :p
I like it! Thanks KingFish, I may just use that name if it fits with whatever design it ends up with!

Luke.

Just thinking, if the US would had thrown a couple more bombs on the Japanese, they would have probably had been named like your two bikes here :lol: :lol:

I like the same rims as BigJim, and I would A: Drop the tank (think the bike would look slicker), B: Keep the tank and paint it as... a BOMB!!! Hahahaha. :wink:

I think the tank helps make the bike, so I hope you keep it.
Painting it like a bomb sounds pretty cool. Maybe even a Flying Tiger Flexy Grin?
Maybe Psycho BillyBomb :p

9565933899_ff966bf825.jpg

I like the new direction too 8) Sky's the limit really when you have the skills and imagiation that you do. So whatever you decide, I'm sure will look right in the end...

Glen.

Pretty much decided on a complete rethink of this build, now planning a bike that still has the single sided set up but switched to the other side, I found a 16x8 Minilight rim that will fit the 240 Metzler tire and some wheelchair wheels that I can use one on the front, probably going back to my very earliest idea I had for this build, about 3 years ago:

8247832975_3cb3ed89cc_z.jpg

Anyway, progress is still a ways off, I apologize for the huge pause in this one...

Luke.

Go for it!! What I really like about it is that it should take you a couple of days to build :lol:

Latest posts

Back