Headhunter (Finished!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... Ive had a design idea in my head for a long long time and have finally decided to make it a reality. I saw a pic of a bike built by Sam McKay of Firebikes that had the same rake, rise, and stretch that I wanted for my bike. I made a few copies of it and started sketching over it and this is what I came up with.
My design on top.
Scan110690001.jpg

More sketches.
Scan110680001.jpg

scan0001.jpg

I got in contact with Sam and asked him if he would build the frame. So I guess I better start picking out the parts I need.

Re: Stuck in my head!

I like the sprocket gear, I had one on my old beach cruiser. If you find out who makes it and a possiable part number I would appreciate it if you past that along. Awesome part to have. Your concept looks Awesome. Good luck with the build.

Rat Rod Beach Goer said:
I like the sprocket gear, I had one on my old beach cruiser. If you find out who makes it and a possiable part number I would appreciate it if you past that along. Awesome part to have. Your concept looks Awesome. Good luck with the build.
If I find that sprocket anywhere I will let you know. Thx!

I ordered a Brooks B66 saddle for this build and now that I have it I'm not sure if its as big as i would like it to be. I may save it for another build. The seat on my Electra is quite a bit wider than this B66 and very comfortable. So I may need to bump up to a B33 or even a B190.
a003.jpg

Can you get Lepper seats anywhere in the States? They might have what you are looking for. A little wider than Brooks, narrower than Electra's, with old style springs. Nice frame!

Ace said:
Can you get Lepper seats anywhere in the States? They might have what you are looking for. A little wider than Brooks, narrower than Electra's, with old style springs. Nice frame!
Thx for the info about Lepper saddles. I'll check them out!

Rat Rod Beach Goer said:
I found this sprocket on the Cycles U.S. website. Here's the link.
http://www.choppersus.com/store/product ... -Open-BLK/

Re: Stuck in my head! (More parts)

I got a call from Alan at Cycles U.S. and he told me my parts were in. So today I went to his store in Fontana to pick them up. WOW!!!!! What a cool bike store he has. If your ever in the area go check out his custom bikes. They are Awesome!! He's a very nice guy and answered a lot of questions I had about custom builds. Here's a link to his web site.
http://www.choppersus.com/store/
So here's what I got.
bikebuild006.jpg

Two rims. 24" X 3" wide and a 24"X 4" wide.
bikebuild007.jpg

bikebuild008.jpg

A Super Fat Extra Wide Sturmey Archer SX-RK3 Hub with stick shifter.
bikebuild009.jpg

bikebuild010.jpg

This hub is HUGE!
bikebuild011.jpg

Thx Alan! I'll be coming to your store again and again and again!

Re: Stuck in my head! (More Parts)

Well on your way to reality. What fork are you going to use? I like it, one of a kind. 8)

big AL said:
Well on your way to reality. What fork are you going to use? I like it, one of a kind. 8)
Still choosing between a springer or standard triple tree style fork. The longest forks I could find are 36" long. I'll need longer. It looks like I'll be fabbin them myself.

That0neGuy said:
Don't know if you're seen this but this site sells 42" long legs for the triple tree type hope it helps . BTW I really dig the bike !

http://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike-par ... 12029.html
Thx for the tip.
I haven't been on Bicycle Designer's web site in a while. They must have added these new items to there product line. I noticed they sell just the triple trees. Pretty Cool. As soon as I get the frame I'll be able to take a measurement and see just how long the fork tubes need to be. I still may just build them myself. Feel'in kinda bad just buying everything. Need to build something on this bike myself. After all, that's what this site is all about right? "Built! not Bought..." :D

Re: Headhunter (New Picks)

Hi everyone! Sam Mckay finished building my frame today and sent me couple of pics.
IMG00363-20110608-1206.jpg

IMG00366-20110608-1312.jpg

I've decided to use a Brooks B135 saddle instead of the B66.
bikebuild001.jpg

Re: Headhunter (new pics)

Frame is killer, and with those set of parts it's going to turn out sweet... I bought same stick shifter but I have no idea on how to install this, could you please post some details when you get ready to install it?

Thanks

Re: Headhunter (new pics)

hondataeg6 said:
Frame is killer, and with those set of parts it's going to turn out sweet... I bought same stick shifter but I have no idea on how to install this, could you please post some details when you get ready to install it?

Thanks
Thanks for the complement. I need to make a bracket for it. It shouldn't be too hard. I'll post what I come up with. I'm mounting it on the rear stays below the seat.

Latest posts

Back