Hawthorne frame only

Discussion in 'BIKE I.D. & VALUATION QUESTIONS' started by GuitarlCarl, Feb 18, 2019.

1. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

Rattle canned burgundy
    serial number 85EH on crank shell
    also numbers on upper seat tube but painted over... original headbadge has holes on the side. Forward facing dropouts so probably 50's - 60's. Original fork, cap painted too...

Curious how close to the year we can get. I was told it was a '58. I did read some Snyder built had four digit serials with year reversed in the 40's so if they continued into the 50's maybe it is a '58.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    bub, rrtbike, macncheese and 2 others like this.
  2. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

Any surprise if I build a dragster in the Big Buildoff with this frame?

Carl.

Wildcat likes this.
  3. Wildcat

Wildcat

Sure looks like a 58 model. The dropouts are mid to late 50's Snyder made. I had a 57 Rollfast I rode when I was a busboy back in the early 70's with the same frame. I ride a 42 Hawthorne now, 24EH is the serial. I've seen them up to 1955 like that, yours is the newest I've seen the reverse year.

Rustinkerer and GuitarlCarl like this.
  4. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

Cool. Now if I can fab (or find) a tank...

Carl.

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

5. Wildcat

Wildcat

Here's what the tank in 1958 looked like on a Rollfast:
    [​IMG]

Rustinkerer and GuitarlCarl like this.
  6. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

Now I guess I stash it in the rafters for a couple months. If there's no other commentary on it, I suppose I'll just consider it a '58 Hawthorne...

Carl.

Wildcat likes this.
  7. Phil Fink

Phil Fink

I have seen Snyder middleweight models (65SN) with the "yoke" at the seat post cluster (just like the orange Rollfast example above).
    upload_2019-2-23_19-13-2.png
    Thinking that "EH" may have been for the frames built at Excelsior Michigan City Ind. plant, (already closer to Wards in Chicago); and SN may have been for the Snyder Little Falls NY plant, (closer to DP Harris in NY).
    upload_2019-2-23_19-13-33.png

Rustinkerer and Wildcat like this.
  8. macncheese

macncheese

65BCBA14-22A2-4761-A7BF-A6A257254035.png

I dont have a tank but i have fenders. Sold the frame to another member a few weeks back but he didnt want the fenders.You can have em for the cost of shipping if you want them. If youre interested ill send you a better photo or two.

9. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

Thanks but I have a set if I decide to use them. That is a generous offer though. Thanks again.

Carl.

macncheese likes this.
  10. bub

bub

Nice! I’m the guy above ^ that macncheese mentioned lol.

I tried doing some research on my Hawthorne frame as well and I settled on anywhere from ‘57 to ‘59 but our frames seem pretty similar. I believe the same headbadge but I believe the red is just worn off mine. 46EA8733-FC1D-4ACB-8989-41250735B360.jpeg Also, unless I didn’t look hard enough, the only place I found a serial number was on the drop out which reads B074696. Should I be looking elsewhere?
    5350A34D-9EFC-4032-AC80-9F96A4AD343E.jpeg

GuitarlCarl likes this.
  11. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

Now I have to relook at mine to see but I don't think I have anything on my dropouts... Look on the underside of your crank housing. My '36 CWC and this '58? Snyder built, both have it on the bottom of the BB. Side note: Hawthorne badges are fairly easy to find, if you're looking for a nicer one. My older one has the holes top and bottom...

Carl.