Harlequin T - FINI (or not)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subtle mount on the bluetooth speaker. Didn't even notice it. Looking forward to your 'exhaust'... :nerd:
Up close. Here's the speaker unit.
KIMG0583[1].jpg

Here it is tucked in, set screw tightens against a rubber band similar to a rubber bracklet, set in the middle of the speaker. (happy accident, I didn't know it was there when I ordered the speaker) Set screw will be a nylon 1/4-20 knurled edge if I can find one.
KIMG0586[1].jpg

now to get the other side goin'...

Carl.

Way back when I started the Harlequin, the plan was a tandem clown bike... Haha, not this tandem, and not those wheels. Although I did complete the wheels and they have made an appearance on a few different frames. Today they may have found a home, but I need a seat post clamp to really take it out for a shake down run. It's definitely a work out riding it.
KIMG0593[1].jpg

Get'cha a good look. Them rims ain't right. Ditched all the brake arms, cables and shifters, it's a coaster brake. Crazy huh? I'm thinking of modifying the decals to read "MuthaGoose" So it kinda goes along with this build since it is the original wheelset from the original Harlequin build.

Carl.

Last edited:
Way back when I started the Harlequin, the plan was a tandem clown bike... Haha, not this tandem, and not those wheels. Although I did complete the wheels and they have made an appearance on a few different frames. Today they may have found a home, but I need a seat post clamp to really take it out for a shake down run. It's definitely a work out riding it.
View attachment 47148
Get'cha a good look. Them rims ain't right. Ditched all the brake arms, cables and shifters, it's a coaster brake. Crazy huh? I'm thinking of modifying the decals to read "MuthaGoose" So it kinda goes along with this build since it is the original wheelset.

Carl.
Gonna need a video, you know that right?

Suspension with the whacky wheels is a great idea!

I wonder if it would be easier to ride if you had the wheels in the same spot as far as offset so it just goes up and down instead of bucking front to back. That vid from a long time ago where guys are riding them looks like they have the wheels positioned like that.

I wonder if it would be easier to ride if you had the wheels in the same spot as far as offset so it just goes up and down instead of bucking front to back. That vid from a long time ago where guys are riding them looks like they have the wheels positioned like that.
It bounces around and always changes... you almost have to ride it out of the seat and it works your legs like nothing else. Probably because the front has a bit more offset than the rear. Hard to figure that ahead of time...Using 24" rims, I put a few full length of "what I had" spokes in (from 26" and 20" rims) uncut spaced around the rims, and then filled them in with spokes I cut and threaded.

Carl.

It bounces around and always changes... you almost have to ride it out of the seat and it works your legs like nothing else. Probably because the front has a bit more offset than the rear. Hard to figure that ahead of time...Using 24" rims, I put a few full length of "what I had" spokes in (from 26" and 20" rims) uncut spaced around the rims, and then filled them in with spokes I cut and threaded.

Carl.
Whenever you turn, on any bike, the rear wheel will take a different path to the front, the rear path is shorter, so even if you started with them even the first time you turn they will start going out of sync.

Whenever you turn, on any bike, the rear wheel will take a different path to the front, the rear path is shorter, so even if you started with them even the first time you turn they will start going out of sync.
Yep! That there's some o' that Gee-oma-tree that @OddJob is always pullin' out. It's fun though, an ever changing uphill downhill, in sync outta sync thang. (Gotta find a seat clamp)

Carl.

KIMG0594[1].jpg

Ok the whole top pops off, that thing in the cap plugs into the circular frame. The frame is what is able to move to "Honk" the horn, effectively closing contacts.
KIMG0596[1].jpg

The lower profile might just look a little better, since the rest of the column is so spindley. I just need a plug to fit the circular frame.
KIMG0599[1].jpg

I suppose I could nick the one from the cap, it's only 3 small rivets. Then plug in hand, I could fab a low profile horn button.
Thanks for the heads up @The Renaissance Man

Carl.

20170308_205315.jpg
This one's off the car I drove away from my wedding in, so it's not for sale, but if you could find something similar it would look pretty cool. I used to have a 54 Buick that had the outer ring all the way around.
Also Wirth's automotive sells chrome bullets in various sizes pretty cheap, if you could find one of those that fit the inner cap...

A trip to the thrift store might net you some repurposed funky horn button! I always browse through the kitchen ware for do-dads.
Hmm... Second hand chrome ashtray...
View attachment 47196This one's off the car I drove away from my wedding in, so it's not for sale, but if you could find something similar it would look pretty cool. I used to have a 54 Buick that had the outer ring all the way around.
Also Wirth's automotive sells chrome bullets in various sizes pretty cheap, if you could find one of those that fit the inner cap...
Dude that's a cool thing to keep. I have the center of the grill from the Alfa Spyder I had that tried to kill me...My steering wheel is all there, but I'm just looking for something with maybe lower profile (but still be cool haha)
You guys rock!:rockout:

[emoji450]L.

View attachment 47196This one's off the car I drove away from my wedding in, so it's not for sale, but if you could find something similar it would look pretty cool. I used to have a 54 Buick that had the outer ring all the way around.
Wait...Mrs Link was with you when you 'drove away' right? :bigsmile: JK! Hope the two of you are enjoying your BO-11 builds!

Got the sound tube in... HATE IT.
Well, I don't like how it looks... sounds good but...
KIMG0601.JPG

Not too bad from this view ^^^
KIMG0600.JPG

Angle opening is good, tunes were next to my head...
But it just don't look right.
KIMG0602.JPG

And from this side, it's just a big tube. So, I'm changing it. I've got a few ideas, we'll see what pans out. Today my horn arrived and I hooked it up under the steering hub. Hit the horn pad in the center of the wheel & WOW this thing is loud!

Carl.

Last edited:
I envisioned the speakers in both sides of the front bottom bracket, and the tubes running along the bottom of the frame and curving up behind the seat. Maybe with expanded metal screens to emulate old side pipes.

This way, I agree. It looks like an afterthought, but it is kind of fiero like. Almost. Maybe.

I envisioned the speakers in both sides of the front bottom bracket, and the tubes running along the bottom of the frame and curving up behind the seat. Maybe with expanded metal screens to emulate old side pipes.

This way, I agree. It looks like an afterthought, but it is kind of fiero like. Almost. Maybe.
Can't do anything with the front BB's. I need the clearance to pedal. o_O I do agree a baffle would look good. I have another plan, this was just the first version. Working out the bugs and checking the sound was the most important thing. I've got an idea that actually has more of a rat look.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back