Harlequin T - FINI (or not)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rode bikes today. First one I took out was the 41' Elgin, Moondoggy. Well that's what they called it when I won it in a raffle last year. I changed out the flipped boardtracker handlebars for some big o' round "moon" handlebars. I need a taller seatpost and a chrome kickstand and this one will fit me just fine. I call it Moon Dog now.
KIMG0543.JPG

The bars on it now were what I had on the Huffy
when she was a tandem as shown on the first picture of this thread!

Carl.

Last edited:
The second bike I took out was of course The Harlequin. Workin' out the kinks. I want to start the paint and the tank but it's not quite there yet. Today the new rear steering cog worked it's way just a bit loose, not bad, but just a little wiggle effects the steering. So I believe I'll weld it solid, it was able to be switched out. I flipped the hub piece I used so the spring clip that held it was on the bottom, but I doubt I'll ever change it again so I'll weld it up. Despite the wiggle it handles nice. I'll get a good video soon. I was runnin' my own salami tests today.
KIMG0544.JPG
KIMG0542.JPG
Probably put 7 or 8 miles on it today...
Much of it with my ladyfriend on her birthday. [emoji512]

Guitarl.

Last edited:
Rode it some again today. I don't want to tear it down for touch up but I have to. I need to run a bit of bondo after some half round filing too. Might as well get on it. Started scuffing the rear fender (see :eek: no fender in the last pics) for paint. There are 3 layers of paint planned. Red primer, sea foam green and satin black with some white diamonds, and some washes of sea foam in the cervices afterwards. Also a lot more copper wire and brass cymbal brackets. Punch list of what I'm missing... elec. horn, headlight, rubber tank, wifi tuneplayer, sound tube or tubes, steering wheel cover and a housing for the underside of the wheel. I do have a redwall 20" tire coming. Peace and love RRB

Carl.

Red walled 20" tire....nice solution! Looking forward to your sound tube(s) and wifi player add-ons as well. RaT oN!

Now that's a burrito , brother. A burrito with everything
Hey..I watched that vid, and was wondering, do people in the neighborhood know you as 'That crazy bike guy" or just 'That crazy guy"...:bigsmile:
Love it
:thumbsup:
franco
I live on one of the main thoroughfares here (you can see in many of the pictures, 4 lanes!) So often I get cars honking and waving and I am a little bit known in our community as the caretaker of the church here (where I live in the parsonage) and have lived in this area all of my life. I also am very happy to stop and talk to folks when I'm out riding.
On a parallel note I have been "Crazy Carl" ever since grade school...

:crazy: Carl.

I live on one of the main thoroughfares here (you can see in many of the pictures, 4 lanes!) So often I get cars honking and waving and I am a little bit known in our community as the caretaker of the church here (where I live in the parsonage) and have lived in this area all of my life. I also am very happy to stop and talk to folks when I'm out riding.
On a parallel note I have been "Crazy Carl" ever since grade school...

:crazy: Carl.
live in the parsonage, that's neat. do you build all of your bikes there?
you're quite inventive.
I was voted class clown in high school...most of the kids thought I was funny , but I was being serious...go figger.
:happy:

Ok, I was calculating the gearing today...

I had a 42t sprocket with a 18t cog
26 x 2.125 rear tire for 70.6 gear inches
and it was too easy to pedal

I now have a 65t sprocket and an 18t rear cog
26 x 2.125 rear tire for 109.2 gear inches
I can roll but it's a little stout.

65t with a 22t cog would give me 89.4 gear inches
(I have one of these 22t cogs on the way)
Should feel pretty good eh?

Carl.

Sounds like you were pretty good at algebra too.
;)

Got my Bluetooth speaker for the bike in. Close to the same size as the BB.
KIMG0550.JPG

Now to fab up the connection and come up with some tubing to mimic an exhaust and port the music out of...
And my new front tire showed up today!
KIMG0551.JPG

[emoji450]

sent from a banana phone...

Last edited:
I found a front rim today, 72 spoke radial,
and I have the new tire on.
This should match nicely to the rear...
KIMG0552.JPG

Truss brackets on the way. I've started disassembly for sanding and paint. Doing a little every day.

Guitarl.

That video was cool!

I am surprised however that they left the door to the kitchen open with a clear view of the cluttered countertop and giant yellow Igloo cooler. At 1:40 you can even see someone in there preparing lunch. :bigsmile: Just seems to take away from the grandeur of that ornate century old organ.:doh:

That video was cool!

I am surprised however that they left the door to the kitchen open with a clear view of the cluttered countertop and giant yellow Igloo cooler. At 1:40 you can even see someone in there preparing lunch. :bigsmile: Just seems to take away from the grandeur of that ornate century old organ.:doh:
Yeah I know... weird huh?
Found it on FB today.
Got the red primer coat today may go spray some turquoise at some point tonight. Watching Walking Dead right now. [emoji88][emoji88][emoji88]

Carl.

Part I
Late into the night and on to this morning...
I have my layers of paint on.
I missed the picture of the frame with the paprika but got the fender right when I was starting the turquoise.
KIMG0559.JPG

This morning everything got the turquoise...
KIMG0555.JPG

KIMG0556.JPG

KIMG0560.JPG

Finally everything got the Canyon Satin black.
KIMG0557.JPG

The plan is to use some 2000 grit to gently rub thru the top two layers to show the paprika but not to the bare metal in a few key places. The top edges of the seat and chain stays, the top and sides of the cantilever bars where natural rubbing would occur above the new BB placement and where it sweeps upward from the new seat placement. I also plan to do this to the fender from the center of the top down and the rear edges.
I've been reluctant to strip the dipped fork I took from Cyclodelic. But I'm thinking about taking it down to bare metal. I've got some stainless truss brackets coming, it has the chrome fork crown and I'm looking at options to make the trusses from. Brake lines would have that bare metal look, but copper tubing would be cool and match the wire detailing I like to do. We'll see, I got time...o_O

GuitarlCarl.

Last edited:
Wow! You're going full bore on this Carl! Like your paint / patina ideas. Stripped fork sounds good too. Weather must be cooperating for all your paint work. Good to hear.

Latest posts

Back