Harlequin T - FINI (or not)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note: the small space heater in the corner...
I also always warm the cans in hot water.
The weather is cooler than optimum,
but it's paint on a rat.

[emoji450]

Last edited:
Got my new cog and I scrubbed the dirty rear rim up, man those multi spoked rims accumulate some grunge, now it's good enough for a rat. Stripped the fork (no pic) and now I'm itchy to fab my trusses.
KIMG0561.JPG

Well it's gonna be hard to let the frame just sit while the paint cures but it's gotta be done... I'm pulling the motor in my truck apart tomorrow to see just what I broke, and I have a busy week ahead...
If I can just leave the paint alone today. :confused:

Carl.

Part II
You just KNEW I couldn't leave it alone...
KIMG0565.JPG
KIMG0566.JPG

But I am so happy, this is just what I envisioned.
Now it just needs a green scruffy run over the whole thing to flat out all the satin...

Carl. :rockout:

Last edited:
It's getting there and for the picture it's just sitting on the back tire. I'm happy, it's what I had in mind, weathered. There's more to come, the harlequin diamond work in white, weathered also...
KIMG0572.JPG
KIMG0571.JPG

Stripped the fork and mounted the new tire/rim combo. Hard to see but the upper truss bracket is on there too. Note the missing chain guard, it's still in paint, not ready for pictures...

Carl.

Dig the faded paint, that's the look I want on Falstaff Flyer.
Also the steering on this is awesome, I might have to borrow the idea when I build a better version of Random Motivation.

Oh, and this thing has atleast one vote.

One step backwards.
Moved the bike without bolting the fender on and it rolled back and scratched it badly. So I sanded that part down and repainted it. But I keep going forward too. Bent some 1/4 inch rod for the trusses and started threading the ends. It's slow going. I have to file some of the rod off because you'd think 1/4 x 20 would thread right over 1/4 rod but no, just a bit thick. I also have the rear brackets for the seat rack/back done. Found some thick chrome ones to use with new brass bolts n nuts, looks rat. So 1 step back, 2 steps forward, is still progress.

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

Frustrating all the variation in size with rod...in general cold rolled will size right and hot rolled comes out fat.
Looking fantastic by the way ! :)

You're probably on the right track, filing down and tapping, but you can easily butt weld some threaded stock onto the ends of your rod.
Here's some trusses from rebar I made.
5/16 or 3/8 on these, but 1/4" is easy too.

image.jpg

This build continues to impress! it looks like a comfy ride too.

You're probably on the right track, filing down and tapping, but you can easily butt weld some threaded stock onto the ends of your rod.
Here's some trusses from rebar I made.
5/16 or 3/8 on these, but 1/4" is easy too.

View attachment 46930
Tapping the rods allow me to introduce some more brass and chrome nuts for some cool metal variations to match details all over the bike. There are chrome acorns, brass nuts and copper washers in multiple places on this bike. Plus I'm just a hack welder. I learned on a big 220 stick welder long ago, (and there's no 220 in my garage) so I picked up a little 110v wire feeder and it's ok but I still don't have the hang of it yet.

Carl.

KIMG0573.JPG

KIMG0578.JPG
KIMG0576.JPG
KIMG0575.JPG
KIMG0574.JPG

In the first pic you can really see that the fender is for a heavyweight. It's from an earlier set of pictures but you can still tell. It's better mounted, but I need to make some adjustments and some spacers to get it to sit right. I like how the truss rods turned out and the bluetooth speaker can is in too...

Carl.

Last edited:
Looking good Carl!
Luke! Thanks man, hope you're feeling better. I don't have much left to do... but they're all big ticket items. The sound tube, the chain guard and the tank! Still, not far to go now. Doh! Beep beep, needs a horn too!

Carl.

Subtle mount on the bluetooth speaker. Didn't even notice it. Looking forward to your 'exhaust'... :nerd:

Latest posts

Back