Hard at work

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I couldn't find a thread where we could share the way we pay for this obsession so I thought I would share what I do. I am an Overhead Crane operator in a airplane factory. We build planes and components for Boeing mainly, but we get some business from Airbus, Raytheon, Skiorsky (sp.) among others. When I am not running the crane, I am maintaining our fleet of 35 or so bikes that we use to get around the plant. You can see a few in the first pic. I am in the crane holding the nose of the Boeing 737 in the pics.
2i8k50x.jpg

2qasd1w.jpg

Let's see what everyone else does to pay the bills

Moderators: If there is already a "jobs" thread, please accept my appologies and move this to that thread.

The only one I have done any custom work on is my own. We have to share bikes between 3 shifts, or most of the guys do. Mine had been pilfered and taken to another building for about 8 months before I found it and brought it back. By that time the guys that had been riding it had other bikes they rode so I got this one to myself. I don't have access to a welder here so everything I have done to it is bolt on. Everything on the bike was scavenged from scrapped bikes around the plant exept the tank. I blasted everything and hit it with rattle bombs. I log a lot of miles on it and it rides like a dream.
et8c92.jpg

2lo15xw.jpg

16jixz7.jpg

I have a small office in a church building. I'm the youth pastor. I have a monkey bike beside my desk but mainly just the children and youth ride it around the halls, I only ride it to prove to people that I can, otherwise I just walk around here. My longest walk is to the kitchen in the fellowship hall, but that usually has the greatest reward as I raid the fridge.

I've been a youth pastor since 2000 though this is the 4th church I've worked in.

I get to travel... well, I drive the church bus and take the kids on trips, sometimes I take bikes with me. I get to make lot of contacts and am given lots of free bikes.

Lots of people don't see youth pastors as having a "real job" and that's fine, most people don't "get" what I do anyway. It's a blessing, but it's also been the hardest job I've ever had in many ways.

Latest posts

Back