Hammered Higgins (In Finished Builds)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hammered Higgins (102 degrees in shade)

lildietz said:
Clamp it by the seatpost and you won't have to worry.
Funny things happen. When I got ready to move the frame this morning, I greased the post, I put in the seatpost with saddle, put it in frame, tightened up the clamp bolt, picked it up by the saddle to move it off the deck. Next thing I knew, I was holding the saddle and seatpost and the frame was in the grass. The head tube caught the edge of a stepping stone which required a touch up on the edge. That is a new one.

Re: Hammered Higgins (102 degrees - Assembly Has Started)

bike2112 said:
bike2112 said:
It's risky, but can you remove the black paint and buff it up all shiny. The holes are really cool. Teardrop pedals definately.

ooopse, I spoke too soon, you already built up the silver one which looks really good. Now drill some holes in it. Just kidding.
Hey no problem, I decided to use the silver one for continuity with the rear wheel. I have a drill press but no way to control the angles so I think I'll pass on the holes. I used the black one on another bike I had, it had a black S/A rear hub.

Added the teardrop pedals. Did a test ride, having a problem getting the seatpost to tighten up. In order to get the chain length correct, with the chainring in place, the rear wheel adjustment for clearance gets real delicate. If I put a smaller chainring on I may be able move the wheel back a bit. A larger hub sprocket would do the same thing. Issues, Issues, Fun, Fun, keeps your brain stimulated.
Ready to add back the rack and other detail parts. Was at LBS and saw the new Laser taillight which emits a "bike lane" on the pavement. There is another builder using one on Monster Higgins, so I don't feel right copying his find as he is local.
79dce7fb.jpg

Picked this Western Flyer up at an estate sale a couple of days ago. The Troxel mens saddle is in almost like new condition. I'm thinking the saddle may go to the Hammered Higgins bike. It's seatpost has a bit more diameter to it, and provides a snugger fit.
The W/F frame is different, somewhat like a fixtie. Tried fitting 26 x 2.125 tires on it with the fenders on...a bit tight. Really hate spending more on new tires than I paid for the bike, but I'd like to retain the peaked fenders
HammeredHigginsRRBO72012075.jpg

Figured you might be a good person to ask a paint-choice question...

The chrome is nearly gone on most of the parts on my mom's 1954 Schwinn build. What specifically do you think I should paint them with?

lildietz said:
Figured you might be a good person to ask a paint-choice question...

The chrome is nearly gone on most of the parts on my mom's 1954 Schwinn build. What specifically do you think I should paint them with?
If you want to maintain the chrome look there is rattle can chrome paint available. I've never had it come out as glossy as the can lids though. Powder coating is another option. I guess it depends on the look you are after.

The Western Flyer bike became a donor. The Troxel saddle springs and frame cleaned well with StrongArm rust cleaner. Installed it on the Higgins and it rode well. Hopefully it works with the rear rack and crate.
fb1ac331.jpg

Donor saddle in place. I know a lot of people slam em down as low as they go. But I want to be able to ride comfortably and not have my legs hitting my gut.
Detail parts should go on Monday or Tuesday.
cfd84f1f.jpg

Re: Hammered Higgins (Assembly Has Started)

Fat Tire bottle opener in place...
bbc9de03.jpg

Coming together...mounting bike with rack still iffy. May have to shorten the height?
7aab4634.jpg

Front end waiting on hammer mount...
da029013.jpg

Keeps looking MO BETTA and MO BETTA!!

Re: Hammered Higgins (About ready for some real photos)

Hammered Higgins Rat Rod Build Off #7 Parts Spec:
Parts sourcing and origin vary from MazdaFlyer’s parts stash, to swap meets, out of town bike shops, eBay, antique shops, garage and estate sales.
Retail sources include Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Tom Sawyer Bicycle Shop, Porkchopped Custom Bicycles, Memory Lane Classics, and Twin Six.

Frame – J.C.Higgins
Paint – Rust-Oleum, Hammered Rosemary and Brown.
Rims – Pre-War 26” Roadmaster drop center with powder coat by LORAC.
Spokes - 14 gauge SS
Tires – Schwalbe Fat Franks 26 x 2.3
Rear Hub – Sturmey Archer 2Sc 36H
Front Hub – Formula Track TH30 36H
Fork – Sunlite Cruiser 1” threaded
Truss Rods – Electra Bicycle Company
Stem – Wald long 13/16”
Bars – Pre-War Roadmaster
Grips – Long Ball End, Memory Lane Classics Repro
Seat Post - Western Flyer
Saddle – Troxel
Chain Guard – J.C. Higgins?
Crank – 1949 Schwinn
Chain Ring – Wald 44T
Sprocket – Sturmey Archer 19T
Pedals – Persons Supreme Teardrop
Chain – KMC 12” x 1/8”
Kickstand – Wald No. 87 When I get the Kickstand installed , I'll take some better photos
Cup holder – Antique Shop, Copper and Brass
Hammer – Ball Peen, my toolbox, was my Dad’s
Rear Rack – Pre-War, Unknown
Crate Basket – Pine & Fir Plywood, Custom Fabrication
Flask and Holder – Twin Six
AAA Emblem – Antique Store
Bottle Opener – New Belgium Brewing
Filigree Ornamentals – Antique Store, Cast Iron
Decorative Hammers – Hobby Lobby, Cast Iron MO Hammers
Light & Horn – Western Flyer
Strapping – Copper coated steel
Hardware – Various types and sources

7ad36ab3.jpg

Re: Hammered Higgins (About ready for some real photos)

bike2112 said:
Mazda, your bike looks fantastic. You did an awesome job and can't wait to see the pics.
Thanks. Still have few tweaks and adjustments to do, need a taillight.
36611d47.jpg

Re: Hammered Higgins (Pretty much done)

Constructive criticism:

Just for the purpose of aesthetics, I think you should put the Bontrager saddle back on.

Bike looks awesome!!!!

What a cool and beautiful bike!!!!!!

lildietz said:
Constructive criticism:

Just for the purpose of aesthetics, I think you should put the Bontrager saddle back on.

Bike looks awesome!!!!
Yes, I've hammered that idea around some myself. The colors do coordinate better with the Bontrager, but the Troxel is more comfortable.
We'll see how it shakes out.

Peatbog said:
I know one thing, with that hammer at the ready, I ain't gonna try to steal any brew he's haulin'.
Hopefully I don't need a permit...
HammeredHigginsRRBO7FINAL023.jpg

Borrowed from Kingfish: "MO HAMMERS" X2 in case you hadn't noticed them.

HammeredHigginsRRBO7FINAL026.jpg

MazdaFlyer said:
Borrowed from Kingfish: "MO HAMMERS" X2 in case you hadn't noticed them.

Man, I got to start keeping my mouth shut! :wink:

Latest posts

Back