Hammered Higgins (In Finished Builds)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hammered Higgins (Hammered Paint Not Friendly Stuff)

Ratfink1962 said:
Lookin good! 8)

I bet if you set the frame out in this 105 degree heat.... would cure it up nicely in NO time!!

It was out most of today, may go for another two days and hope the birds don't roost on it.

kingfish254 said:
Cool, that's a good kind of mistake!!

Tht hammered effect looks great!!

I think I can live with this version, actually number 4, third can of paint. I also gave the chainguard a 2nd coat. It pretty much looks like the can lid.

It would look pretty cool with some parts (chainguard, chainring, stem) painted hammered bronze. I can't wait to see it finished :)

dogdart said:
Looking good , glad you were able to save the paint . You could put the clamp on the seat post , it'll be a bit lower though .

Thanks! I've used seat post before on other bikes. The issue though is that I have to get the wheel and rack in place and tighten up the bolt attaching the rack to secure the seat post. I'll have to talk nice to my wife to gain another set of hands.

lildietz said:
It would look pretty cool with some parts (chainguard, chainring, stem) painted hammered bronze. I can't wait to see it finished :)

The chainguard at present is the same color as frame. The fork is done in a hammered brown. The rack it's natural rust although I added a clear coat to it. I want to leave the stem chrome. The chainring is chrome, I hadn't thought about painting it..maybe the hammered brown?

Spent some time hacksawing, grinding and filing the front baseplates of the filigree trim. The profiles match the bars. Going to leave backs as is. These add an old school look, think late 1800's. I like them anyway. Will paint to match frame. Since they are cast iron and steel, they will provide a little ballast to compensate for the loaded rear rack and crate...

f186bb62.jpg

Re: Hammered Higgins (102 degrees in shade)

Man, get yourself an angle grider with a cutoff wheel at harbor freight.
I got one last year and haven't looked back at a hacksaw since.

kingfish254 said:
Man, get yourself an angle grider with a cutoff wheel at harbor freight.
I got one last year and haven't looked back at a hacksaw since.

Old School, Old School! I have the hand grinder, just no cutoff wheel, budget build...
Side note: several years ago our dog went out on Easter morning and killed the Easter Bunny or at least a facsimile. Really, a young cotton tail in our back yard.

Always clamp the bike in the stand by the seatpost. I've seen too many crimped tubes from improper clamping (mostly on Litespeeds, for whatever reason).

While moving some stuff to get to my files in the toolbox I ran across these forgotten Delta lights. One is NOS, the other used.
cfba405f.jpg

One has an LED flashlight inside...I might use the taillight, but I think the headlight will go on another bike.
48911e2b.jpg

Joker-n-Jack said:
Lovin' It! Beautiful bike.
Thanks, your's is looking good also, liking your detail work.

I have two high flange front hub options at this point. Can't get the black one in silver, which is what I wanted.
37531hub.jpg

The silver one is solid without the holes that the black one has.
Any thoughts out there?
38975hub2.jpg

Got the front wheel back from Tom Sawyer Bicycle Shop today. They laced up the front wheel with the silver Formula track hub shown previously. I'll post some photos Thursday. About ready to start final assembly. I'll probably let the paint bake another day in the 105+ degree weather we've been having.

Clamp it by the seatpost and you won't have to worry.

Re: Hammered Higgins (102 degrees - Assembly Under Way)

Front wheel ready to go...
8211030e.jpg

Assembly under way...
8319e635.jpg

4e84f667.jpg

Not everything will be shiney...
c97e0d94.jpg

c9665e1d.jpg

Chainguard in place...
03458f92.jpg

Re: Hammered Higgins (102 degrees - Assembly Has Started)

Pedal Options, any comments?
15a36da2.jpg

Re: Hammered Higgins (102 degrees - Assembly Has Started)

I like the teardrops.

Latest posts

Back