Hammered Higgins (In Finished Builds)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hammered Higgins

ndaway said:
Looks really good Ed 8)

Can't decide on painting the fork or not, if I do I want it to be a contrasting color with the frame. Did you use the same fork on your Higgens? The truss rods stay chrome...wheel will be straw color.

Re: Hammered Higgins (gently used new parts)

Went to my LBS and got a 13/16" stem. Without a machine shop nearby you just can't get an old 7/8" stem to fit in 13/16" hole. While scrounging for an "old hammered hammer", I found some cast metal brackets, a AAA brass emblem, a copper plated mug (can you say cup, bottle, can holder?) and a hammer possibly as old as I am.
075ca187.jpg

Since the stem quill is quite long I was thinking of shortening it, then I thought of the brackets as handle bar ornamentation...
e8fdcf0e.jpg

with the bars flipped the extra long stem may work out to be about the right height...
0378693b.jpg

Hammered Higgens gets a hammered hammer???
dcf97635.jpg

Hammer mounting may be an issue, I like challenges though. Not sure about the AAA signage though, it was probably on some old car's tag years ago. It was just cheap and cool.

Man, I hope you keep the handlebar brackets!!!!! That was another all too common RRBBO :shock: :shock: moment!!!

I think a ball peen hammer would maybe look a better.

As far as mounting the hammer, take a look at the way I mounted my beer bottle tank in BEER RUN last year.

20110723IMG_2114.jpg

kingfish254 said:
Man, I hope you keep the handlebar brackets!!!!! That was another all too common RRBBO :shock: :shock: moment!!!

I think a ball peen hammer would maybe look a better.

As far as mounting the hammer, take a look at the way I mounted my beer bottle tank in BEER RUN last year.

20110723IMG_2114.jpg

Yes I agree, ball peen is what I was looking for. Any other the shop I went to would have had some. I have one I could use but it doesn't have much age to it. I've seen things mounted similar to your bottle. I'd like to find some copper strapping. Think I can mount the brackets with U-bolts. Most of the other bikes I've done have been real polished. I'm wanting this one to retain some rattiness.

You can get the copper strapping in the plumbing department at HD.

ndaway said:
oooo I like all the cool new goodies especially the copper plated mug VERY cool 8)
Thanks. Assuming I keep the stem long, may mount the mug to the back side of the stem to maintain symmetry. AAA sign may be a seat hanger.

Remove an "A" from that hanging emblem and you can represent something else... anonymously.

yoothgeye said:
Remove an "A" from that hanging emblem and you can represent something else... anonymously.

Or just cover over the middle "A" by with an airline liqour bottle .

kingfish254 said:
yoothgeye said:

Haha, that made me laugh.

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:
yoothgeye said:

Haha, that made me laugh.

Thanks for the views, Yah, the hammered part was to refer to the paint and the fact the bike frame was old and appeared to have had a hard life. The adult beverage part of this is really out of character for me. I'm a couple beers a month kind o guy. I did a beer tour at Old Chicago that took me around 14 years to get to 110. Time will tell where this goes. Put the first coat of paint on the frame this AM. Just had A thought for the rear rack area...

Re: Hammered Higgins (New Rosemary Paint)

first coat of paint, just one run...my experience tells me the hammer effect will show up more with second coat.

63a2898c.jpg

748a9d19.jpg

That's gonna look slick, I mean rough, I mean hammered!!!!

Cleaned up the handlebars today, noticed they had Torrington stamped on one end. I'm going to use them in their present condition, after using my rust remover with brass brush they look presentable, a bit rat. Also picked up some parts for a rear cargo wooden basket.

Now yer talkin'
Those would be perfect!

aka_locojoe said:
I've got these if you want them
P1020652.jpg

Thanks Randy for the offer. I looked at a couple other places yesterday, then took a look at mine again. My ball peen hammer belonged to my dad so I decided to try it. It looks almost identical to yours. Got some strapping at Home Depot per Kingfish. The hammer seems to fit the tank space. This gives me an excuse to get a new one. Also started rear rack wooden basket. Borrowing an idea I saw at Tom Sawyers.

9caba6ca.jpg

kingfish254 said:
Now yer talkin'
Those would be perfect!

Thanks for the suggestion and info Kingfish.
Started on a wooden basket for the rear should hold two packs of adult beverages if desired or a grocery bag. Roughly 13x9x9 in size. Also provides a mounting location for AAA plaque.

b6e8f993.jpg

MOODSTER said:
I see i'm not the only one starting a month late! This will be cool, I like what ya got.

Good luck with your build. I to am suppose to get more active according to my doctor. Managing to loose some pounds with less TV, more riding, yard and garage work.

Latest posts

Back