Hammered Higgins (In Finished Builds)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Had some parts left over from a swap meet, found a 26" JC Higgins frame, so here goes. I have rebuilt several other bikes outside the parameters of the RR build offs. Thought I would give this a try. I have some drop center rims off a prewar Roadmaster. Going to use a Sturmey Archer 2 speed rear hub and an Origin 8 front hub. Thinking of using "hammered" paint, thus the title.
Frame and hub below.
54c0fde5.jpg

A few of the parts
e602cf77.jpg

Possible tire options, will probably use the Fat Franks.
3e0debff.jpg

Re: Hammered Higgens

Sweet another new entry!!!!
I didn't enter last year until there were 30 days left, so you got plenty of time!

Love the frame and parts selection!
Franks are always cool! What color are you planning for the frame?

Don't forget Rule #1

HAVE FUN!

Re: Hammered Higgins

Sweet bunch of parts there! Great starting point, can't wait to see how it comes together! 8)

Welcome to the jungle!! Get ta Buildin'!! Peace

Love the pedals and I am always partial to Higgins frames. Good luck and let's see some progress!

Re: Hammered Higgens

kingfish254 said:
Sweet another new entry!!!!
I didn't enter last year until there were 30 days left, so you got plenty of time!

Love the frame and parts selection!
Franks are always cool! What color are you planning for the frame?

HAVE FUN!

Hammered Rosemary
603c31b5.jpg

I just saw this color Thurs. and was wondering when someone would use it. Review my last post. Peace

Re: Hammered Higgins mockup

Thanks for the comments!
Doing some mockup today...Electra truss rods, Frank on dummy wheel
668bf468.jpg

ECO saddle also have a Brooks in mind.
da18117a.jpg

Found out I need a 13/16" stem...My 50 cent garage sale light/horn should work out though.
3ac699d5.jpg

Bad boy S-A rear hub
e694d5ea.jpg

Took it all apart and started sanding, did a test area with the paint, not sure I like it. Things may change?

Critter1 said:
Love that SA kick shift hub!!! I'd like to run one someday.
I have one on a 700c x 40 Giant Via bike. It works great although I run a 20 tooth gear on it.

I'm not a drinking man but since the bike build is the hammered Higgens, I rembered I had flask an holder from Twin Six. Guess I ought to mount it on the bike.

94b0912b.jpg

Re: Hammered Higgins (frame prep & primer)

Sanded down the frame, found grease-dirt painted over, surface rust, maybe original blue paint, black paint, some gray primer. Cleaned with lacquer thinner and added a primer coat.

18f4bef6.jpg

a2beffa7.jpg

looks blue, but is actually black. Cleaned up pretty well, thought about stopping after sanding and just doing a clear coat.

Nice mocks. Looking good.

I love the flask holder, that is tooooo cool!

Hammered Higgins

I second the flask holder comment...I NEED one of those for my Sailor.

RonK said:
I second the flask holder comment...I NEED one of those for my Sailor.

Check out TwinSix.com, they may still have some available, think they were sort of a special run though.

Latest posts

Back