GYSOT! - Get You Some of That! - She's a Rider - heading to the Finished Bikes forum soon.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't believe this is my fourth BBO - man, time flies!

2015-05-01%2017.11.47.jpg

I have been thinking about building a bike like this for a while now, and I figured BB10 is as good a time as any. I'm starting with a 2008 Felt Hurley, and will be transforming this in to something different. Something pretty fast, and maybe a little loud.

GYSOT! - Get You Some of That!

Last edited:
I have one of those frames and parts. Do you have the plaid wheels that came with it?
I had to google the build name and see that it is a Gas Monkey refererence
Get You Some Of That

I'm really looking forward to getting this build off the ground. GYSOT starts with a 1952 Felt Motorbike. This was a great ride in it's day, but this one has fallen on hard times. In about 1970, it blew a head gasket, and sat in a field for the next 45 years. During that time the rain, wind and sun took their toll. Parts started disappearing or simply rotted away. Even the busted motor was taken at some point. All that's left is the frame and the forks, and the original paint is in pretty bad shape. That said, it does have an interesting patina...

Of course, the problem with this whole build is that it starts with a bike that never existed. So that's the first challenge - coming up something that would pass for a 1952 Felt Motorbike that has been sitting in the weeds for 45 years...

I'm drawing inspiration from these...

807_40_1649_web.jpg

back40collection_700.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

patinaford1.jpg

I have one of those frames and parts. Do you have the plaid wheels that came with it?
I had to google the build name and see that it is a Gas Monkey refererence
Get You Some Of That

I have the wheels, but I'm selling them and using some different wheels for this build...

One more piece of inspiration. As we all know, if you are building something fast and loud, then it probably has to be green, right? So how about a nice Jaguar Meadow Green from a 1969 E-Type?

1969-Jaguar-XKE-Roadster-800x373.jpg

Order placed with 66autocolor.com, which means it's time to get prepping the frame and pulling together other parts.

Now, I know I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, because we all know that stories about barn finds, or field bikes start with the bike, and then the components, but I'm impatient. Here's a sneak peek at the rear hub.

2015-05-06%2015.10.36.jpg

This is a big ... drum brake off of a moped. Now, I'm no expert here, but those spoke holes look pretty .... huge. 10 or 11 Gauge maybe?

2015-05-06%2015.17.31.jpg

Work has been crazy, but I finally got some time to finish stripping the frame today. That monster hub is not going to fit in the drop-outs, so I used my patent-pending frame spreader on the back end to get the hub to fit.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Once that was done, the monster hub slid right in to place.

2015-05-09%2018.33.15.jpg

I have been going back and forth on the wheels here. Below is the standard 26" front and rear.

2015-05-09%2018.51.09.jpg

And a little bit more interesting, 26" front and 24" rear with a thick brick. These are not the wheels I will be using, they are just placeholders.

2015-05-09%2018.47.05.jpg

So far, I'm leaning toward the 26", 24"...

Playing with patina a bit. I picked up a piece of steel as a stand-in for the frame, and started painting one side with red oxide primer. Then I sprayed half of that side in black primer, then shot the whole thing with Willow Green.

2015-05-14%2015.50.38.jpg

Then I started wet sanding with some 600 grit sandpaper. Starting with the red oxide side...

2015-05-15%2019.43.54.jpg

Then the black and red oxide side.

2015-05-15%2019.43.25.jpg

I thought the sanding down to the black layer looked OK, but wasn't wild about the sanding all the way to the red oxide and bare metal.

On the other side, I tried something different.

2015-05-15%2013.34.52.jpg

Let's just assume that the top part of the metal is the top of the tank. I started with some etching primer - a full coat on the bottom, then a light coat at the top. Then I hit it with some gloss black, and finished it off with willow green. The logic was this:

The etching primer will stick to the metal, the black will stick to the primer, and the green will stick to the black. I hit the light areas, it should go right down to bare metal without much issue. Then, once I have bare metal exposed, I can rust it with vinegar and salt water.

So here's where I stand, after a little vinegar treatment. It's not bad, but I won't really know until it's had a chance to rust a little more.

2015-05-15%2020.36.37.jpg

Hopefully I'll get to the frame by the end of the weekend.

Latest posts

Back