GUMBY RUMPUS***** Crossed the FINISH line!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK!!
I bought this bad boy @ the Dudley Ma bicycle swap meet ( November 2012 ) and have been collecting tid bits to build it up. I THINK I have all the pieces of the puzzle to rat it up right.
I am late to start but eh ,what the heck!? :wink:
COUNT ME IN!!
I am joining in the "anything goes" because I have a welder and cut off tools so " who knows" where the build will bring me.
Its been raining torrentially for days now, so I can't post up any cool mock up picks yet. I don't think the tiny corner of my basement I work in isn't very picturesque ( tight space! , ya bend down to pick something up and ya get stabbed by handlebars or pedals :lol: )
a name will chose itself as the bike comes to life.....

So, without further adieu......

here is what I started with...... 1961 Schwinn twin straight bar
(This is the pic I took when I got home from Dudley last year)

:D

Re: 1961 Schwinn Twin straight bar

Sweet starting point!
Welcome to the fun!

Re: 1961 Schwinn Twin straight bar

DeuceWheeler said:
Nice! Colors and paint/patina are awesome as it sits.

kingfish254 said:
Sweet starting point!
Welcome to the fun!

Thanks guys!!
brief break in the rain so I might be able to rush outside for a few teardown shots and maybe a mini mock up. WOOOO HOOOOO!!
( ' tis New England ya know )

Re: 1961 Schwinn Twin straight bar 1st MOCK UP

Got the bike stripped down today and got a 1st mock up to get a feel for the build.......
I love this frame!!

Here is the gorgeous columbia springer I bought from member: Bikesnbuses ( thanks bro! ) This is a real cool find!!

They meet for the first time ( looks WICKED!! )
Obviously I have to trim a mile off the head tube, but I think its gonna be WELL worth it!
It gives it a real tough look ( don't ya think?? )

I mounted up the tires I bought from member: Chimichanga onto the rims I bought from member Ind-chuckz ( thanks guys! )

wait for it.........
ready?.....
ya sure?.............

BAZINGA!!!!

the terrible old & patina'd green house paint ( read: WICKED AWESOME!!) from years ago Is WAY too cool to disturb so I will do my best to preserve the paint. ( I'm sure most'd agree )

stay tuned :wink:

That looks awesome already! :D Never thought green tires would look good on a bike, but this proves me wrong! :mrgreen: Matches the frame very nicely! 8)

I love the gumby and black patina color combo!!!!!

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
That looks awesome already! :D Never thought green tires would look good on a bike, but this proves me wrong! :mrgreen: Matches the frame very nicely! 8)

Thanks dude 8) ! I'm loving the green! It's outside my normal comfort zone. I really think it works!
Its funny, I've never used colored tires before. I'm building 2 bikes with them right now ( the other bike I'm using blue ).

LukeTheJoker said:
Awesome frame and a great first mock up!

Luke.

Thanks Luke! I fell in love with the frame right away :shock: ( it was leaning against the wall with 3 bikes covering it @ the swap meet )

kingfish254 said:

:lol: thanks Kingfish! Never thought of gumby . Maybe I can work it into the name somehow...... hmmmmm.... :?

King Zebba said:
I like it! 8)

Thanks!! :D

Ugh! If I didn't have to work today 9a-9p I'd probably attack the fork somehow......
Do I chop out the 1.5 inches outta the headtube and reweld ( preserving the threaded part ) or do I cut and get it threaded???? Decisions decisions

junknutz1975 said:
kingfish254 said:

:lol: thanks Kingfish! Never thought of gumby . Maybe I can work it into the name somehow...... hmmmmm.... :?

GUMBY

gumby_l.jpg

Tommy Atoms said:
Man that is an awesome frame to start with. Its either a Typhoon or a Skipper from 61-2 vintage. Dont know if I'd modify it but hey its a free country. Might even make the Schwinn huggers envious!

Thanks Tommy!
:lol: Hopefully I get the Schwinn huggers attention enough to throw me a vote or 2 :wink:

Re: 1961 Schwinn Twin straight bar GUMBY RUMPUS

I've had a crazy work schedule this week ( one of the guys is on vacation ) so I haven't had much more tinker time on the bike.
Hopefully my weekend will afford me a few hours to play.......

Maybe I'll call the bike...... Gumby Rumpus?

<---- for your viewing pleasure :wink:

:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Re: 1961 Schwinn Twin straight bar GUMBY RUMPUS?

junknutz1975 said:
OK!!
I bought this bad boy @ the Dudley Ma bicycle swap meet ( November 2012 ) and have been collecting tid bits to build it up. I THINK I have all the pieces of the puzzle to rat it up right.
I am late to start but eh ,what the heck!? :wink:
COUNT ME IN!!
I am joining in the "anything goes" because I have a welder and cut off tools so " who knows" where the build will bring me.
Its been raining torrentially for days now, so I can't post up any cool mock up picks yet. I don't think the tiny corner of my basement I work in isn't very picturesque ( tight space! , ya bend down to pick something up and ya get stabbed by handlebars or pedals :lol: )
a name will chose itself as the bike comes to life.....
This is the pic I took when I got home from Dudley last year

So, without further adieu......

here is what I started with......

Hey, I think I was at that swap.

cool project. good luck and have fun

This build is way cool...the black and green frame is awesome 8) ....the :mrgreen: Gumby Green :mrgreen: tires are perfect!

NLCTVWguy said:
Lookin good brother! The green tires are perfection!

--Rob

Thanks dude! Hopefully You'll get to see it in person some day @ a VW show :mrgreen:

Scribble said:
cool project. good luck and have fun

Thanks Scribble! It's a BLAST !! :wink:

sleepy said:
This build is way cool...the black and green frame is awesome 8) ....the :mrgreen: Gumby Green :mrgreen: tires are perfect!

Thanks!! I'm lovin these tires too!! Lookin forward to loggin some seat time on this bad boy 8)

I had today off from work so I got to play s'more! Im uploading to Photobucket right now (SOOOO SLOOOOOW :roll: )

Stay tuned kids....... :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back