Guitar Players: Show us yours!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was thinkin I needed something quieter to practice with. So I figured a solid body electric guitar unplugged or through earphones.

Found a real nice black and sunburst Palmer Les Paul that I really liked. But got this on sale for sixty bucks out the door instead.
20191119_190313.jpg

It's an Optek Fretlight 500. It looks and feels and plays just like a regular guitar. But it has an extra plug for a computer, and the frets light up showing the chords.
I think I really hate the color, and will have to buy the software. But hopefully it'll bring me along a little quicker.

Sold the burnt tele for 350 the other day to a working musician, Kyle Kennedy.
a605b8026eb31f904ece1e35db6b8363.jpg
7f45d0e15faad2e52adeaa7ee47f015d.jpg
b162b119132ad75a3c5ffa6ea08f81dd.jpg
a5cbeec519e9bf5aa2b6a515f91c4e08.jpg

My new project is a trashed Greco, I have the og pickups too.
greco 1b.jpg

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@GuitarlCarl , I really like that top edge photo of the burnt Tele. So, can you share your process on this, I mean, other than just 'burning it'. :grin:

Especially curious about the dark black portions on the back, was there an oversized pick guard on the front that also melted, did you use any kind of 'finish' to seal it afterwards ? You know, so the fire wouldn't spread. :rolleyes:

@GuitarlCarl , I really like that top edge photo of the burnt Tele. So, can you share your process on this, I mean, other than just 'burning it'. :grin:

Especially curious about the dark black portions on the back, was there an oversized pick guard on the front that also melted, did you use any kind of 'finish' to seal it afterwards ? You know, so the fire wouldn't spread. :rolleyes:
Ok. I had a Squier Telecaster body given to me that had been badly rattle can repainted in seafoam green. Originally it was a cream color. Not being a fan of seafoam it had to go so the first thing I did was use a belt sander to add the forearm relief. I've done a few of these, having first read that Seymour Duncan and the forearm carve he did for Jeff Beck on a Tele in his early days of guitar repair and modifications before his pickup company started. I took also sanded the green off the whole front and then pulled out a torch to burn off the factory finish. (it's the quickest way) It was going good, the paint was just popping off in dime sized pieces and the bare spots were barely singeing when I got to looking at it and the "burnt Tele" idea was born. It just looked good to meso I let it cool a bit and flipped it over to do the same thing to the back, leaving more of the seafoam intact. The black sections are singed but not charcoaled. The next process was really just a quick rub down with walnut stain, it softened the green and blended to bare wood into the burnt adding a nice greasey look to the edges of the cream paint pops and bringing some unique coloring to the "belt buckle" scratches in the back, hence the name "Greasefire". After drying a few days I sprayed the whole thing down with satin clearcoat Minwax I think... that's the brand of stain and related products I usually use on furniture and cabinetry projects, because like Dupont, 25 yrs from now those color codes will be the same almost industry standard. There was never a pickguard on it thru out, the nice discoloring there is Fender's original cream paint. So as you can see, this finish just presented itself, as we often find on out bike builds, sometimes objects reaction to our efforts steer the direction the design goes, just as much as our own visions do. Electronics are straight forward with the addition of a fourway switch which adds the series combo to the pickup choice. It has a hot Epiphone humbucker in the neck and a vintage Fender in the bridge, a pretty classic pairing, replacing the weak tele neck pup. Add a neck from a generic builder on eBay and basic hardware and you have it. Thanks for the interest, I've seen burnt Strats before with the whole Jimi history and mystique, but I've yet to see another burnt Tele. It's almost sacrilegious!

Guitarl.

Ok. I had a Squier Telecaster body given to me that had been badly rattle can repainted in seafoam green. Originally it was a cream color. Not being a fan of seafoam it had to go so the first thing I did was use a belt sander to add the forearm relief. I've done a few of these, having first read that Seymour Duncan and the forearm carve he did for Jeff Beck on a Tele in his early days of guitar repair and modifications before his pickup company started. I took also sanded the green off the whole front and then pulled out a torch to burn off the factory finish. (it's the quickest way) It was going good, the paint was just popping off in dime sized pieces and the bare spots were barely singeing when I got to looking at it and the "burnt Tele" idea was born. It just looked good to meso I let it cool a bit and flipped it over to do the same thing to the back, leaving more of the seafoam intact. The black sections are singed but not charcoaled. The next process was really just a quick rub down with walnut stain, it softened the green and blended to bare wood into the burnt adding a nice greasey look to the edges of the cream paint pops and bringing some unique coloring to the "belt buckle" scratches in the back, hence the name "Greasefire". After drying a few days I sprayed the whole thing down with satin clearcoat Minwax I think... that's the brand of stain and related products I usually use on furniture and cabinetry projects, because like Dupont, 25 yrs from now those color codes will be the same almost industry standard. There was never a pickguard on it thru out, the nice discoloring there is Fender's original cream paint. So as you can see, this finish just presented itself, as we often find on out bike builds, sometimes objects reaction to our efforts steer the direction the design goes, just as much as our own visions do. Electronics are straight forward with the addition of a fourway switch which adds the series combo to the pickup choice. It has a hot Epiphone humbucker in the neck and a vintage Fender in the bridge, a pretty classic pairing, replacing the weak tele neck pup. Add a neck from a generic builder on eBay and basic hardware and you have it. Thanks for the interest, I've seen burnt Strats before with the whole Jimi history and mystique, but I've yet to see another burnt Tele. It's almost sacrilegious!

Guitarl.
Thanks Carl! I knew I'd get the full scoop from you.

That effect on the front with a good portion of the original cream color still present, really had me wondering what exactly it was.

And I couldn't tell from the photos what kind of finish you had used either. So it's a 'spray on ' Min-Wax product? Or do you mix the stain / varnish, and then use a gun like one used for airbrush painting?

I picked up a nice Made in Japan Tele from the '80s recently. The neck plays wonderfully, and I'm able to get some great tones out of this guitar. Not sure what pick-ups are in it, but they have a nice round , full, tone. Definitely a keeper!

I had seen some leather tooled pick guards on Tele's on the internet, and really liked the look. The vintage white guard on mine was cool, but as you know, we 'ratters' can't leave anything stock.

So, seeing as how I didn't have the tools for leather work (yet), I paid a visit to my favorite creative spot, Joann Fabrics. I came home with this 1/3 yd of a faux leather tooled vinyl.

72942255_977633052635389_3344960915702284288_n.jpg

I used an extra Tele guard I had in my parts box, and traced the outline of the body and the pick up holes / contours onto the cotton backing of the material. Then I used a razor blade and scissors to cut it out. These guards fit very precisely, so be sure to remove all of the 'line' to get the best fit.

75317353_473140349965523_2359635649234993152_n.jpg

I wanted the color to match the strap and the yellow / mustard color hues of the paint and maple neck. So I used a 100% acrylic paint in the Raw Sienna color, and rubbed it in with a rag.

73399941_455523911983810_5310497701660459008_n.jpg

I put a good amount on the rag to get it in the cracks and swirls of the design, and then let it set for a couple minutes, and wiped it once again to bring out the relief in the tooling.

The vinyl isn't thick enough, or stiff enough to be used as a guard by itself. I picked up a stencil blank (plastic you can cut your own custom stencil from) at Joann's as well, and traced and cut another pattern from that.

74611481_556648291761827_6358940437415198720_n.jpg

After I cut the plastic backing, I marked and drilled the holes in that at this point. My guitar has the 5 hole pattern, so I skipped the other 3 holes that were in my 'template guard'.

Sprayed the back of the material with my tried and true 3M Super 77 Adhesive, and affixed it to the plastic backing.
75069646_533775887179083_2668737058184364032_n.jpg

I then used a small finishing nail to pus through from the top side, down through the hole in the plastic backing. I started with a smaller than screw size, and then went up to the correct size once the hole was punched .

Really happy with how it turned out!

74209884_425643568135624_3781941973707915264_n.jpg
74605537_442252259815629_3933949838500036608_n.jpg
74687851_423802534949786_1357011989666201600_n.jpg

Last edited:
My new old ukulele.
20191126_105631.jpg

Guinnini baritone. Made in Brazil. Maybe early 70's. Shows it's age with a few beauty marks, but solid. It's pretty dirty in the pic. But I think it'll clean up nicely.

I was able to tighten up the cheap friction tuners. Brass frets. And a little narrower at the nut than modern baritones. Otherwise, looks like pretty decent construction.
Needs new strings.

Oh...and I got this Dean acoustic electric.
20191121_193316.jpg

Reviews I read on one of the guitar forums was "trash with flash":bigsmile:
But it seems to have a nice mellow tone. And I think the pawn shop had it priced wrong. Looks nearly brand new.
Not sure I'm going to like it though. It's a little too big for playing while sitting on the couch. But it was so cheap I just couldn't pass it up.

Peavey Tracer I'm restyling... Will be for sale.
328d685c69095f8b28b9f4f714a25fce.jpg
8cac4e34938297132d3af5eb11a14367.jpg
53ae9c7c878f31e877592b9d65dc262e.jpg
59f135db594df770c64dc6a2e28db159.jpg
cfacd984280d614f9a6dcf6a038e3a41.jpg

Sold my gascan guitar the other day. Felt a sense of loss but 400.00 clams make up for some of it.
Teletanker1.jpg
Teletanker4.jpg
Carl.

Lefty for a righty project coming up.
c6854354aaeb00c9854fd93e1923d479.jpg

Here's where that neck went. The copper dots match this body well, almost like it was on purpose. This is a GFS paulownia body painted locally in an auto body shop with cool ghost flames. It is for now my #2.
coppertele.jpg

Carl.

Since I can't play worth crap (partly lack of time, partly Arthritis) I just roll my own out of scrap:
BirdB1.JPG

Dulcinator2.JPG
FishF1.JPG
ResUke2.JPG
StradB1.JPG

At any rate, i'm in Lockdown now, so maybe I can practice a bit-oh who am I kidding, i've already torn apart a cheap broken Uke and getting ready to make a new Uke from the neck and a Dulcimer from the rebuilt Uke body and a bit of broken hockey stick IT IS A SICKNESS I CAN'T STOP HELP!!!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

I just acquired some more parts. A couple nice necks both Teles and a pickup set to match. Also some Fender slotted tuners.
IMG_20200507_090639.jpg
IMG_20200507_090647.jpg
IMG_20200507_090713.jpg

The loaded neck was taken off a new Squier and the amber tinted one has never been on a guitar yet. Looks like I've got a project or two coming...

GC.

Latest posts

Back