Grease/Oil in a Bendix Kickback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just recently took apart my first Bendix kickback hub (yellow band) and got everything cleaned up, now I'm ready for reassembly. I'm just wondering if it's alright to use while lithium grease throughout the hub? Or do some surfaces (like the planet gears) need oil? Most of the resources I'm coming across just use grease all the way through. I have to feel like that might be too thick for surfaces like planet gears, though.

Planet gears are fine with grease; just load it up so they don't run dry after a few miles. I would be liberal on everything but the index spring. A heavy coat there may cause it to flub shifts.

Planet gears are fine with grease; just load it up so they don't run dry after a few miles. I would be liberal on everything but the index spring. A heavy coat there may cause it to flub shifts.

I agree. Use a drop or two of light oil on the index spring. I only use white lithium on kickbacks. When you reassemble, leave a slight amount of side to side play. Tighten the axle nuts first, brake arm last. Kickbacks like a slightly loose chain too. Gary

Yeah, now that I think, I only use oil on the spring too. White lithium is always safe; I use my standard universal red grease for kickbacks without issue. Important that it's not a real tacky grease, though. They're fairly simple except the final reassembly can be tricky. Good luck!

Thanks for all the help, guys. Yeah, reassembly has me just a tad worried, simply because I don't entirely understand how the clutch and indexing spring work to change gears. That's the only time I'm worried about reassembling something, when I don't understand how it works :D. But I've got a couple good repair manuals to follow, and I paid pretty close attention during disassembly, so I should be good.

Thanks for the tip on the loose chain, too ... I was thinking it would be the opposite :crazy:. Good to know :).

Do you guys take the indexing spring off during disassembly (for cleaning purposes)? The manuals I'm working with recommed doing so, but I'm a little worried about bending it out of shape in the process.

Take the index spring off but remember which way it goes on. If you put it on backwards it won't work. Some people have bent the little tabs back in place but it's a hardened spring and you can break it easily. Don't bend on it if it's working okay. Gary

Latest posts

Back