got it for $20 dollars

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All…
Well I went to the ACME swap meet Saturday…
Didn’t find a good frame for the build off…
But I did get some good parts for this frame I found…
A March of 1974 Schwinn frame…
A 35 year old unbuilt 26 inch Schwinn cantilever frame…

74Schwinn001.jpg

74Schwinn002.jpg

74Schwinn003.jpg

74Schwinn005.jpg

74Schwinn007.jpg

I couldn’t believe it…
How could this frame sit for that long!!!
I stopped by Peddler’s to have the nos kickstand installed…

74Schwinn008.jpg

And BicycleRick seemed to think it was a warranty frame…
I would have to guess the same…

74Schwinn004.jpg

The bearing cups show no ware…

74Schwinn011.jpg

74Schwinn006.jpg

Not a scratch on the drop outs or the seatpost…

74Schwinn010.jpg

There are a few scratches and a little shopware…
My conscience kicked in and I don’t know if she would be better,,,
Hanging on the wall…
Or
Built up with the right set of parts…
I keep thinking it will only be new once…

ponytailmike
mike

Build it up as a 5 speed cruiser and sell it for $$$$$ on ebay. Sweet find. That red is one of my favorite Schwinn colors. It looks deep.

dang, ive never seen bb bearing shells that clean unless they were new. hard to believe that bike never got built up, but that sure is what it looks like. id build it up nice, ride or flip it. to hang on the wall seems like a waste of a good bike.

A conversation piece, for sure! I hate to say it but i would hang it. Once you build it, it's 'deflowered'.

that thing is definately cool mike. i cant believe you stole it for $20!! makes me wish i wouldve asked about it sooner! i say hang that puppy on the wall!!!

Easy E

COOL! :mrgreen: I wonder how it got on this one? Another intersting note: this bike had a Heavy Duty chain guard...

You are correct, Sep. of 77. The Schwinn dealer I use to frequent as a lad had many Schwinn decals in the case for sale.Full sheets for all models or singles, I remember seeing that one but was never really curious as to what it was for. A tall unicycle makes sense!Is your frame a Heavy or Middleweight frame? Hows about yours too there PT Mike? Heavy or Mddleweight? Either way, a no brainer @ $20.00! :wink: Later & PEACE!!!

My Sept. '78 Typhoon as I bought it (more than $20)
typhoon-1.jpg

After I changed it up & rode it about 100 miles
IMG_2683.jpg

These days, it's back to stock, excepting the apes, Italian headlight & an incorrect spare wheel on the front...
I love the Schwinn cantilever frame--one of the all time great American designs.

bikeriderx said:
Sweet bike emanon! Is that a Schwinn springer?

Thanks, I like it too.... :wink:
The springer is a generic ebay bargain & it came with extras...one of the stems happened to be painted a nearly matching red, so I used it. The pivot point is all the way back, instead of in the middle, so it gives the bike a different rake. I'm planning on using that springer on my buildoff bike & maybe those apes, too.

That's cool. What I can't get over is how GOOD these Schwinn's RIDE! Even with my laid-back seat...this bike cruises sooo smooth! By the way..."Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" is one of my all time favorite Pink Floyd discs... 8)

Latest posts

Back