GOOD PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of my favorite pictures from all of the finished bikes this year. :thumbsup:
aa4.jpg

Thanks Renaissance Man :). I was laying on my stomach to get this shot. Got lucky with the light coming through on the top left....... I didn't notice it until I got home and started looking through the pics. All the shots were taken with a 5 year old $90 Olympus camera.

I agree with RM, this shot really shows off the split tubes and the background shows off the non-existant seat tube. The lighting and composition turned out perfect. In a couple of weeks, I am going to try to duplicate this shot with my bike to show of the split tubes. It's always cool to see the shots that everyone comes up with.

Yep. Got sick of sharing the macs with the accounts department so I bought a Centris 610 some time during the renaissance.
I still have the Photoshop v1.1 floppys too. And Aldus Pagemaker.
I also do lots of advert layouts in psd in my graphic design biz: www.ultragraphics.com.au
Write and shoot for the motorcycle media these days as well. Archives are here: www.davidcohen.com.au or on fb: https://www.facebook.com/BigDavesPlace

Here's a bit I wrote ages ago on photographing motorbikes: http://www.davidcohen.co/how.html

Bump for easier access

Try to get a shot from EVERY angle. If your bike sits "low" it can really enhance that look.

DSC04768.JPG
DSC04729.JPG

Bumping for some great tips as the deadline approaches.
Guess I can add a tip as well: think about what you include in the picture, remember that one guy who used a "Park Tools toilet paper roll" to prop up the bike? Memorable photo, good composition, superb build, but the prop almost became the subject .
227077-1679373930540.png

The finer details……..some are nit picky but speaking from personal experience they are things I look for. Humans are visual and sometimes the subconscious influences our intentions

In most cases I prefer the front wheel and bars straight. Very rarely does a juxtaposed stance appeal to me unless it’s done with purpose

Cranks/pedals fully vertical or horizontal for photos

Even the littlest stuff like to rotate wheels to get valve caps, logos, etc positioned uniformly. Logos on sidewalls lined up properly on the rims in line with the valve stem or 180 opposite

Cap'n A, I know what you mean. Back in the day as a part time bike shop employee (mid 80s to early 90s) I would have a few people "bang on my eardrums" because I was taking a few extra moments when assembling a bike and aligning the rim brand with the tire brand.

The finer details……..some are nit picky but speaking from personal experience they are things I look for. Humans are visual and sometimes the subconscious influences our intentions

In most cases I prefer the front wheel and bars straight. Very rarely does a juxtaposed stance appeal to me unless it’s done with purpose

Cranks/pedals fully vertical or horizontal for photos

Even the littlest stuff like to rotate wheels to get valve caps, logos, etc positioned uniformly. Logos on sidewalls lined up properly on the rims in line with the valve stem or 180 opposite
Oh my gosh I'd be overwhelmed I find a spot run around the bike clicking the photo button hopping for the best sometimes I win sometimes I loose.

Logos on sidewalls lined up properly on the rims in line with the valve stem or 180 opposite

Cap'n A, I know what you mean. Back in the day as a part time bike shop employee (mid 80s to early 90s) I would have a few people "bang on my eardrums" because I was taking a few extra moments when assembling a bike and aligning the rim brand with the tire brand.
Those are pro wheel assembly tips. The valves 180° opposite of the logos makes it easier to find the valve in a hurry

Those are pro wheel assembly tips. The valves 180° opposite of the logos makes it easier to find the valve in a hurry
I brought my bike to a "pro" they made everything match but forgot to make sure my brakes didn't rub torn tire later won't do that again

Latest posts

Back