Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked one up today at Walmart. I will upgrade a bit but mostly leave the same look.
Rides nice. Thanks for all the info on this thread. Makes upgrading easier

Looks like the rear wheel (Made in China) also needs to be replaced. Where can I find a front and rear 29" wheels? They don't have to be 48 spokes

Gearing comes in to play, but that tall wheel has got some serious leverage on that poor little coaster brake. If I got one of these, my first mod would be to add a front handbrake.:comando:

I just got one from Walmart today, but before I ride it I'm taking it all apart and making sure the moving parts in the fork assembly, the rear axle and especially the crank are all well-greased. I'm also truing the wheels. Seems like a decent bike, and I just need to put some time in making sure the build quality is up to snuff.

I'm trying to disassemble the crank assembly and I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the cranks even after unscrewing the bolts that connect them to the bottom bracket. Nothing I seem to do to loosen them, including hitting them with a hammer, causes them to budge.

I'm no bike expert but I'm decent with tools and like to DIY, but I'm stumped. Can anyone give me any guidance on this? Thanks in advance.

You need a 3 piece crank tool, pretty cheap to buy and will save you much effort and cursing. It is basically a small puller that screws into the crank and then you turn the inner thread to pop it off the square taper crank axle.

Luke.

I just got one from Walmart today, but before I ride it I'm taking it all apart and making sure the moving parts in the fork assembly, the rear axle and especially the crank are all well-greased. I'm also truing the wheels. Seems like a decent bike, and I just need to put some time in making sure the build quality is up to snuff.

I'm trying to disassemble the crank assembly and I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the cranks even after unscrewing the bolts that connect them to the bottom bracket. Nothing I seem to do to loosen them, including hitting them with a hammer, causes them to budge.

I'm no bike expert but I'm decent with tools and like to DIY, but I'm stumped. Can anyone give me any guidance on this? Thanks in advance.
yup what luke said
you need a crank arm puller and use the wrench looking side to loosen the bolt.

then flip it to the threaded side and thread it into the arm threads and it will come right off.

if you need em to i can make you a short how to video to help you with this.
then you will need a bottom bracket tool to remove the bottom bracket hardware.
after all that you should be able to get to what wal mart calls bearings.
also i may add to make sure the rear wheel is in good shape i have had my rear wheel on my onex lockup a few times to the point where i just tore it down and rebuilt the entire thing from an old beach cruiser wheel.
also on truing the wheels the wheels are basically 700cc wheels but their double walled in a cheesy way and the inside wall is easy to end i done it to mine. so use caution when truing they have the spokes recessed and it's a pain in the hind side to do without the right tools.
hope this all helps out and feel free to ask me any questions i have built and rebuilt my onex at least dozen times.
their a lot like a Cadillac their a sweet ride but they will nickel and dime you to death.
they aren't too bad a bike though for the money but kent(also known as genesis) is a mass produced big box store bike so treat it as such
Sean

Thanks for the tip on the crank arm tool. After a weekend of light riding with my 6-year old around the neighborhood, I can confirm what others have said:

1) definitely disassemble the crank and lube the heck out of it. It's .... near bone dry. While you're in there, I'd suggest replacing the bearings because they suck.

2) I found the rear axle to be well-lubed funny enough given how dry the crank assembly was, but the bearings are equally crappy so you may as well go in there and replace them.

3) I too have experienced the "soft metal" on the handlebar stem. I'm a relatively big guy (6'2", 225 lbs) and just pulling myself up by the handlebars to get myself started pedaling and onto the seat caused the handlebars to get pushed down even though the stem bracket was well-tightened. The length of the handlebars gives you a lot of leverage, so the poor quality metal in this assembly combined with the fact that this is going to be a bike that a lot of bigger/heavier guys use is a pretty big problem. For now I'm making do as the handlebars are not completely flopping around, but this will definitely be something that I replace.

4) the coaster brake is underpowered as the 29" wheels simply have too much leverage against the brake, certainly for someone who weighs what I do. You can forget about any sort of emergency stopping - even locking up the back tire standing on the brake is extremely difficult to do. This is frankly not safe and is a cause for concern, especially if you're riding on any sort of inclines or around traffic. I'm going to add a front hand brake to this bike soon.

5) I've had no problems as such with the factory tires or inner tubes but the tires do seem cheap and they have a funny middle ridge to them, suggesting that how they're made is that the two halves of the tire are joined in the middle.

6) the bike is definitely a looker and a lot of fun to ride. You do feel like you're riding one of those old style bikes where you're 10 feet up in the air on giant wheels.

Overall this is a bike that you buy new at $150, but plan on immediately spending $50-$100 more in the near future upgrading/servicing it to bring it up to a satisfactory long term condition.

Here's another question - the replacement tires are a little bit difficult to find, and it's on my mind because the stock tires, while not having failed me yet, don't offer great traction. I think the surface area actually in contact with the road is more limited than it would be with good cruiser bike tires.

You can go cheap and relatively "style-less" with something like this, which is literally the only appropriate replacement tire I could find on Amazon (without resorting to a MTB tire:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XZ2OJ0...TF8&colid=24CW2N6FRZP8V&coliid=I2BAS1L1IFN56A

Even among 29" tires, I'm more commonly seeing either 2.00" or 2.35" than the 2.125/2.2" tires that fit this bike.

I'm just not seeing much else. Does anyone have any good suggestions here?

Last edited:
That's why I don't trust adjustable stems. I want one of these, but I think I... wait for it... might have enough cruisers for once.

Just joined the forum to learn more about customizing my bicycle. I just picked a onex 29er up for 100$ brand new due to the scratches on the frame. So far I really like the bike, it has been de-stickered, removed the water bottle cage, and all reflectors removed. I want to find someone to do some pin striping on it and add a few things, lights and other items. Some great ideas from reading this thread.

apy3enyj.jpg

Here is my onyx, 2.35 schwalbe big apples, sealed bb cartridge, setback Thompson elite seatpost, new pedals, milk crate for groceries and beer. A little less than 400 into it. Ride to work most days, take it to happy hour once or twice a week.
Rides like a champ with the new big apples, highly recommended.
Longest ride so far was 18 miles after work. Love this thing.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I just picked up one of these suckers, stickers removed.

When the paint starts to go it will get a flat black paintjob.

Cant wait to start riding.

Btw, this forum is wicked.

Nice to meet everyone

View attachment 4100 Heres what I did with an onyx , built the frame and forks from scratch , this bike is being raffled off on july 27 at the howe caverns bike show and swap meet
that thing is flicking sweet!!!! i never knew you could do this good with a bike like the onex
Sean

Latest posts

Back