Genderbent Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I picked up this ladies J.C. Higgins from Double Nickle about 6 months ago, for a specific gender reassignment project that I wanted to do. I wanted to stretch the top of the bike, but leave the bottom as is, so that it could fit on your standard rack, and whathaveyou. I wanted to make this gender bend have a little more attitude. I wanted it to be mean looking. I finally started on it today. Here is one of Tyler's pictures of what it looked like when he sent it to me:
IMG_2675_zps1edc1d59.jpg

Here it is after I started stripping some of the parts off of it (I sold the tank to a bike friend who has the exact same bike for his wife):
IMG_3167_zps3cb62a04.jpg

After cutting out the tubing that I will be replacing:
IMG_3168_zps51baec79.jpg

I completed the "maleinization" in one day, and I really like it. It looks mean, as I wanted.
IMG_3170_zps17a72ec2.jpg

Once it was all tacked together, I stripped off the parts, and cleaned up the frame, completing the welds, and grinding some of them down.
IMG_3171_zps117fce51.jpg

I'm thinking I'll paint the frame black, but keep all of the rest of the parts the original green and white that they were. I'll probably replace the wheelset, as these are pretty shot. Then some new shoes, and lastly, the bars. I don't think I'll use the original bars. I think I'll use some with the attitude to match the frame.

:13: What!?!

Wow! Was not expecting that! Very cool! How does it ride?

Luke.

It wasn't rideable due to the wheels/tires, but I sat on it for a while, and it seemed comfortable.

We'll see for sure when it's back together.

Looking good! Gonna do a tank for it?

Bingo. A plate, anyway. I've had a very specific reason to put a large plate in a frame for a while, and I've finally decided to execute my plan on this one.

Yesterday and today was spent cutting and shaping the plate, welding it into place, and then painting the frame black. Next time in the shop I can start assembling this thing!
IMG_3173_zpshy9em7mw.jpg

Very cool! My next project is gonna be a genderbender, thanks for the inspiration! How is the seat position working out for you?

You know it's pretty easy to extend the rear dropouts...
Although it does mess with the fenders...

Carl.

I do like the first one. I may keep a look out for the right seat to reconfigure it. I just sold a nice motorcycle saddle, of course, but hey, there are always more. Maybe I'll just make a seat pan, and weld it on there. No hardware required.

A custom motorcycle bobber / solo seat would look very cool on this bike.

Stubby seat post changed to a lucky seven pointing forward gives you full adjustment, forwards and back...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back