1. I wanted to give everybody a heads up on a change that I'm going to make for folks who want to use the For Sale section of the forum.

The forum has been running strong for almost 11 years now and I (along with our awesome moderators) have tried to keep things running smooth and trouble free during that time. I'm thankful for everyone who has helped make this a great community to participate in.

As you can imagine, there are some expenses that are involved in maintaining a site like this and I've tried my best to keep from passing that expense onto the user over the years. The forum will always be a free resource for people to communicate, learn and share.

In order to offset some of the expenses that the site creates, I'm going to be changing the Gold Membership upgrade on the forum. Starting on April 1, 2017 the current "Gold Member" upgrade will be renamed "Pro Member" and this $20 annual upgrade will be required for posting items in the For Sale section. All members and visitors will still be able to view the For Sale section for free, but a Pro Membership upgrade of $20/year will be required for listing items in that section for sale. Current Gold Members will be converted to Pro Members and will have access to listing items for sale until their current upgrade expires.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?account/upgrades

Thank you for your understanding and I will give further updates as the upgrade date approaches.

Steve

(click on the "X" in the top right corner of this notice to close it)
    Dismiss Notice

Gears???

Discussion in 'HOW TO' started by BikeBuilders, Jan 10, 2012.

1. BikeBuilders

BikeBuilders

Just a little curious about something here.... I have done a lot of reading, and a lot of lurking here.... You guys do some amazing stuff. And I love the fact that building bicycles is a WHOLE LOT cheaper than building motorcycles. Perfect hobby for me.....

What I have seen is that some of these custom built bikes can end up being pretty darn heavy. Not so much the bikes here that I have seen, but on another site. Chopper bikes with big back tires to be exact. I like that style.

So, onto my question.... With all of the amazing things I have seen you guys do, why is it that all of the bikes I have seen remain single speed? Seems like it would be easy enough to at least add a rear derailer. This would give you at least a few gears. Even if you left the front a single sprocket only. I am sure there is a logical reason, just wondering what it is before I head down a road doomed for failure.

So what's the reason? Mechanically unadvisable, personal preference, oversight on my part????

Thanks
    Rob

2. cman

cman Moderator Pro Member

Most like the simple style of a single speed coaster brake. No cables for brakes or gears.

3 speed internal geared hubs are popular or 2 speed kickback hubs.

3. BikeBuilders

BikeBuilders

That makes sense.... A cleaner look. But in the event I wanted to use a rear hub from say a 21 speed mountain bike, and the rear derailer (and possibly even front), there is no mechanical or other unforeseen reason it wouldn't work???? Or any experienced builder warnings, tips or tricks I should know about?

4. jalopyjimmy13

jalopyjimmy13

cable length :idea:

5. BikeBuilders

BikeBuilders

Understood.... Any other words of wisdom, warnings or tips???

6. udallcustombikes

udallcustombikes Moderator

I built my Monster Trike using an 18 speed gearing to spin the 31" Coopers.
    [​IMG]

One problem you may encounter with a wider rear tire is your chain line. If it is an issue you can employ a jackshaft compensate.

7. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Another thing to consider is the chain pitch. You have to switch your front sprocket from 1/2 x 1/8" pitch to 1/2 x 3/32" in order for smooth/proper operation.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Dr. T

8. BikeBuilders

BikeBuilders

Forgive the newbie question, but what is "chain pitch"??? Please explain....

9. kingfish254

kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

Chain pitch is the distance between chain rivets. Almost all modern chains are 1/2 pitch.

The 1/8 and 3/32 that Tank refers to is the Chain Width (between two inner plates). Single speed and three speed chains are typically 1/8. Deraileur bikes are typically 3/32.

10. wheelymarko

wheelymarko

I like simplicity! Mine is a coaster brake triplespeed. :roll:

11. wimpy

wimpy

Mine too. And I used an 80 mm backrim (not wider),so I didn't have to alter the standard sprockets into off-set sprockets,because of the chain clearance. Any other wide(r) rim brings along the problem of how get the chain from front to back,in a straight line. So I chose the easy way.

12. DGuff

DGuff

Another thing to look at is the spacing of the hub itself. Most coatser hubs have a 118mm to 120mm spacing so the frame is built to match. A 6 spd or greater hubs spacing starts at around 125mm and go up to 135mm so you would have to spread the rear chainstays to make it work. Not a real big deal until but something to look at.

13. BikeBuilders

BikeBuilders

Gotcha.... But if I use all the components (rear hub and sprocket, front spocket and chain) from the same donor bike, I won"t have to worry about changing anything, right??

14. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Yep, that'll work. Just be aware, most older and newer, single speed bikes use a one piece crankset, like this;
    [​IMG]

Now, if you can find a donor with a multi-speed rear, one piece crankset front, you're good to go.

However, if the donor has a three piece crankset (which most modern mountain bikes, BMX bikes, etc...use), like this:
    [​IMG]

You'll need to get a US-euro conversion kit, like this:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/BB-Conversion-Bp-American-To-Euro/dp/B001G8TSPS

Good luck, keep asking questions, there's a LOT of knowledgeable people on here! :wink:

Cheers,
    Dr. T

15. BikeBuilders

BikeBuilders

Thanks, but now I am confused.... If all parts come from the same donor bike, why would I need a us/euro conversion? Seems like all I would need to do would be lengthen the chain if necessary.

16. wheelymarko

wheelymarko

The conversion is just another way of doing it :)

17. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Sorry, I just re-read that, it was a little confusing, even to me.. :roll:
    Basically, it all depends on the frame you using for your bike (not the donor).

Typically, newer frames that utilize a 3-piece crank with multi-speed rear hubs have a smaller bottom bracket tube compared to the 'classic' single speed frames.

Now, if you can find a vintage '5 speed' donor bike with a single front sprocket, a 1-piece crank and a multi-speed rear, then everything should move over to the 'final' frame with no problem.

If you find a 'modern' donor, like a mountain bike, with a 3-piece crank (the number of sprockets is irrelevant) and a multi-speed rear, chances are you'll need the bottom bracket adapter. The adapter reduces the internal size of the bottom bracket tube down from a 1-piece size to the modern (or euro) 3-piece size.

Hope that makes more sense.. :D

Cheers,
    Dr. T

18. meatwad1

meatwad1

Hmmm... How do I explain this where someone who has done such a thing will not try to argue with me on their reason for doing so? This will be a challenge.

If a bicycle is so unergomatic , so heavy and so inefficent that its top speed is only slightly more than a crawl then having multiple gears on it is redundant. Finding a comfortable gear ratio for such a bike I imagine is a very specific task. Having multiple gears on one is pointless.

19. gcrank1

gcrank1

It is the nature of man to find a complicated solution to a simple (or, as some would argue, a non-existent) problem......... :wink:

20. meatwad1

meatwad1

Sure is. Thankfully when I have done so I can pass it off as artistic license. Thank God for Rat rod bikes :)