Gas Pipe Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd first like to say what an amazing collection of bikes in the build off this year! The workmanship and variety is astounding and I'm proud just to be amongst such talented builders. If it wasn't for this site I'd still be obsessively polishing a re-built straight-bar and thinking the mountain bikes were the only way to get around.

This morning I took the 'Gas Pipe Special' out for it's first ride on a gravel maintenance road for the local train track, a path I normally use my mountain bike on, and I couldn't believe how smooth the ride was. I just glided over the potholes that normally give my hard-tail a good workout. I'm really loving this bike!!!

Anyway, here are the photos (my camera is on it's last legs so I took a lot to make sure some came out right):

PICT9331.jpg

PICT9334.jpg

PICT9335.jpg

PICT9336.jpg

PICT9337.jpg

PICT9338.jpg

PICT9341.jpg

PICT9342.jpg

My favorite shot:

PICT9346.jpg

PICT9349.jpg

These are the loading doors for a Toronto Transit Commission transformer:

PICT9350.jpg

PICT9351.jpg

PICT9354.jpg

PICT9355.jpg

This has been a lot of fun and I already have ideas for my next build.

Good luck to everyone in the build, the bikes are amazing!!!!

Cheers for the comments guys :)

Forgot to add the specs this morning:

Frame: 1950 Schwinn Hornet
Forks: 1950 Schwinn Hornet Springer with a repro spring (the original was too soft and compressed an inch just with the weight of the bike alone)
Wheels: Generic rims from a Schwinn Cruiser-4
Tires: Brooklyn Speedway
Gears: Shimano Nexus 4
Seat: Brooks B-66
Seatpost: Steel natural gas pipe and elbows from Home Hardware
Crank: Original 1950's with a repro BMX 36 tooth sproket (hub gearing too high to run the original Lucky Seven - I gots hills)
Pedals: Schwinn Bear Traps
Stem: Custom painted Easton EA-30 stem with a 1" threaded to 1 1/8" threadless converter
Bars: Custom painted Nitto track bars, chopped 2" on each side
Tank Insert: Cedar (have to replace the top of my garden bench - see build)
Tool Bag: 1943 leather ammo pouch
Hood Ornament: Skull - plastic, wind up

WOW really cool bike !!! I like the shifter/bell look. have to find me a tool bag like that too !!!

Latest posts

Back