Fun with curves

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having completed my first scratch built bike during the Muscle bike Buildoff (not really, I was a week late and a dollar short, but thems is the breaks :)) I have been anxious to get my feet wet again, this time knowing somethings better, and understanding what goes into one of these things better... I think I will have fewer unexpected problems...

So I got a couple of deliverys over the last few days, cromo 1"x.065 and some 1 1/4" .065 :mrgreen:
funwithcurvesmetal_zps727f0c3b.jpg

New bender die for larger radius bends
funwithcurvesbenderdie_zps7e0f3099.jpg

This should be fun... :lol:

Rich

Thanks Luke, I hope I can meet your expectations :mrgreen:
It never really ever goes 100% per the plan, but I am pretty happy where this went oto today, and anyday your out in the garage, bending, hacking, welding and twisting up metal, it's a fun day :wink:
This is the direction it is headed
funwithcurvesday2framemockup_zpse6b8dfd8.jpg

This was a test to see whether I likes the double chainstay going all the way to the downtube
funwithcurvesday2mockuptest_zps308cb32d.jpg

Here is the rear looptail in construction
funwithcurvesday2rearlooptail_zpsfb247a96.jpg

Here is the final looptail
funwithcurvesday2looptailrear_zps0b420ffe.jpg

Peace

Rich

Thanks KingZebba and Luke, I appreciate the comments and the "look see" :)

I keep looking at that chainstay for the looptail, it just does not look the way I had thought it would, funny things about drawings, no matter how detailed, how carefully everything is planned out, they just don't always work... I am thinking of cutting out 4" to 6"... I won't be able to work on this for a few days, university starts up again tomorrow, and I took on a couple of remodeling jobs to help pay the bills around here, so I have a couple of days to ponder this before I make a decision.

The down tube is a 1 1/4" x .065 tube and just before the bend in the bottom it splits into 2 1" x .065 tubing, they will receive a manual bend that will gradually move into the looptail, I can not send cromo thru the roller, the stress in the tubes can come out in very unpredictable ways, so manually bending the tubes either in the jd2 bender or my handbuilt chainstay bender :mrgreen:

Peace

Rich

LukeTheJoker said:
Oooh! Can we please see pics of your chainstay bender?
Please! :D

Luke.

Right now it is in its crudest form, set up for one width, I need to refine it so that it can be adjusted from 3" to 8" or 10". Basically, think 2 conduit benders mounted head up, clip the rear fork, whether the chainstay or the seatstay into the conduit bender than pull the rear. It worked fairly well for me, if I feel I need more leverage, no reason it can't be used in the more traditional way. I saw some pics in another forum of a guy using a conduit bender for just single tubing, but with the head of the conduit bender as I described... the light immediately turned on when I saw that :wink: If you have the hydraulics, it would be fairly easy to convert it over... not the most elegant thing, but it sure beats a 4x4 on one end and driving over them with the car tire (I saw that one mentioned here :roll: ) :roll:

HTH. if you go this route, feel free to add any updates

Thanks for dropping by 1HP

Peace

Rich

From the looks of that die you have a jd bender or something similar. I bent this looptail using mine.
It kinda got weird towards the end trying to flip stuff around but it came out good. I'm really liking your
progress so far. Gonna be a nice frame.
DSCF0008-4.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
From the looks of that die you have a jd bender or something similar. I bent this looptail using mine.
It kinda got weird towards the end trying to flip stuff around but it came out good. I'm really liking your
progress so far. Gonna be a nice frame.
DSCF0008-4.jpg

That is a great piece of bending there Uncle Stretch :wink: Mega props to you, it is gonna take me some more time before I am capable of bending a looptail in a single piece. I am using a JD2 model 32, fun toy to have in the garage, great for bending up furniture projects, or just interesting artsy stuff too :mrgreen:

Thanks for stopping by Sensor, I'll be back at it very soon :p

Peace

rich

RichL said:
This was a test to see whether I likes the double chainstay going all the way to the downtube
funwithcurvesday2mockuptest_zps308cb32d.jpg

Peace

Rich
so you did not like it ? i like it allot! just wounder if the crank harms would have cleared the tubes?!
iam green with envy of your skills and tools :mrgreen:

Hey 1HorsePower, it is still going to be a double 1" tube going into a full looptail as opposed to what I had in the picture, I was trying out something, kinda looks like a musclebike :) already did one of those :mrgreen: looking to change it up some. As for the bb and crank arms, they are easy enough to extend so I am not worried about them, though they may not even be a problem for this build.

Thanks for stopping by :)

Peace

rich

Ttrickyy thanks for watching....

I played around some today, got the fishmouths done for the down tube and the top tube... I am having trouble coming to terms with the double bottom tube situation. I would just use 1 1/4 tubing all the way the head tube to the looptail, but i dont have a way to bend it other than the tubing roller, not sure that would work... No conduit bender for the operation either...onehorsepowers suggestion is to keep it like it was mocked up :) anyone with any thoughts?

Work and bills are the focus for now, school a close second, definitely will have some time sundayi, it would be nice to have a couple of ideas to mull over till then :)

Thanks!

Peace

Rich

Latest posts

Back