Fully

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got me a fully for cheap. It is a german built Mifa, steel frame, 26" wheels, single pivot design:
20190821_184453.jpg

The suspension is working ok, even the brakes were still properly adjusted. Gearing not really functioning, rusty or stuck, don't know, don't care. After I discovered IGH I don't want to go back to deraillers.
If I could find a way to use this 1 1/8" fork on my 1" headtube green boomer I will. I happen to have a wonderful air suspension Rock Shox (XC32?) I could use on this one. If I don't come with a solution I won't bother though. This swap is just an idea. This stanchions rubber protectors would look killer on the "moto" bike though.
Fork:
20190822_073226.jpg

Went to the lower earth (the cellar), this is where the forsaken parts dwell. My quest bore fruit:
20190823_112001.jpg

I got a single chainring crankset - 38t if I remember correctly. Also an ahead stem, and a seat. The rear shock is around 1cm longer than the one on the bike, this will raise the rear a bit. I was ready to sacrifice the boomer moto build if I could mount its wheels on the fully, but the swingarm is too tight.
Can you guess why this shock has such a long bolt - 15 years ago I put on a fully two shock s. :crazy: While it looked wild this made the rear suspension non existant, so I removed this one in a few weeks. Then the bike got stolen. Then I had a hardtail stolen. Now you know why my bikes stay in my living room and I carry them three stories through a spiral stairwell.

I checked the LBS website and it said they happen to have a "threaded to ahead" adapter for 1 1/8 threaded fork. The website have a function that shows if the part is available, if it is in their central warehouse, or if it is not available at all at the time. It said "immediately available". Nope, didn't have it. I tried the LBS in the next village hoping they might have one, but they are on a holiday. So I will have to call that corpulent fella from the Internets again, at least he never lets me down.
dontworry-imfromtheinternet.jpg

So far I only did a wheel mock up, well, the front one can stay as it is now, I need some anti-rotation spacers for the rear. Can I just sand the front rim, I want both rims the same color? Or perhaps blacken the rear rim???
20190822_092846.jpg
I have black Shimano V-brakes to replace these silver ones.
20190823_112119.jpg

It is a coaster brake so I will remove the rear V-brake, also derailler and gears (Sram gearing) will be removed. The cockpit is ugly, nothing to see there, typical vintage MTB monstrosity, I won't keep a thing from it.
I will need a chain as well, might take something colored, maybe half-link, will see. No hurry.

Last edited:
The shock on the right is the one from the fully, the left one is the one I had on hand. Mine has just a bit longer spring, both springs are rated 850 lbs/in - whatever that means. I put mine in the frame just because.
20190824_114611.jpg

I installed the single chainring crankset (38t indeed) and removed the deraillers and rear brake. I used the mtb chain, had to shorten it of course.
20190824_115332.jpg

The central stand is being used as a work stand, but might just stay. There is a lot of work still, but the rear wheel is replaced, which was priority number one.
I will need some lights, handlebars (and probably seat) must be replaced, might look for other tires too (a bit fatter in the rear and skinnier in the front), perhaps some cool pedals instead of the hideous plastic ones, possibly fenders, I have a pair in mind.

A mock up. These bars are from a road bike and a weird diameter, revo-shifter won't fit them. I like the retro shape though, but if I decide to keep them it would mean looking for another "rapid fire" shifter, cause I could pry the clamp open.
20190825_003116.jpg

I am obviously trying to get it to look less "modern". I always wanted to do something with a fully because I love the tec as simple as it is.
Here I must give huge respect to forum fella Funkme for his SIMPATICO build-off 13 bike which was quite out there:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/♠♣♦♥simpatico♥♦♣♠.107157/
An insanely good looking bike! My cheapo fully won't be anywhere near that level of detail and craftsmanship though.
I replaced the brakes:
20190825_011949.jpg

20190825_012740.jpg

Weird, how does one get a dent in the stem???
20190825_012901.jpg

Last edited:
I think I will keep the fenders, not quite sure on the rear fender length. Finding suitable struts might be tricky.
I wanted a stem adapter because Ahead stems have the bar clamp consisting of separate pieces bolted together while threaded stems tend to have this tightening ring clamp. Then I realized I could get a threaded stem with the separate pieces and also adjustable. So I ordered one nice used adjustable stem. Then I thought why not make the Fully a full fully - so I will try to get a Girvin Flexstem - despite it actually having the tightening ring clamp.
Also thinking about the stickers. I like that they are pretty worn and torn and I love the silver-black-red color combination.
On the other hand after making the Felt stickers for the battery I am pretty confident I could make my own stickers. Something like that:
stripes.JPG
62-800x600.jpg
craig-paints-bikes-7.jpg

I will mostly stick to stripes (see what I did there haha), something simple enough, orange and burgundy (if I can find it) to go with the silver frame and match to the fenders' paint.

I managed to dig out a front wheel with a silver rim and the correct hub width:
20190825_121958.jpg

I removed the stickers except for the "badge" sticker. That glue smelled terribly.
Finished the rear fender but at the end I wished I never started. It took a lot of manipulating, convincing, begging, yelling, crying, barking at the moon, rolling on the floor, foaming at the mouth and other orifices, and pretty much making the second extended edition of "A drunken sailor's guide to non repetitive cursing" print-ready. But in the end a passionate man triumphed over the cold metal beast:
20190827_145822.jpg

These are actually 28" fenders. I found out a while ago that if you apply carefully pressure to the center of the fender it would reduce its diameter (wheel arch size). If you squeeze the edges (like trying to strangulate them) it will increase it. So they fit 26" wheels now. You just need some patience and a suitable surface to use and take your time, make sure not to do change too much at once.

That is true. It also helps that the hub has no paint or logos which makes it pop.
It also had this gear changing interface, which I put on a Nexus 7 (they are interchangeable):
20190526_150528.jpg

I might have a problem finding a fender strut for the front wheel, Classic Cycle seem to be sold out. They only have them in chrome. I'll ask around if someone has one, I only need one.
20190828_073058.jpg

Also got me some sandpaper and did the handlebars:
20190828_073417.jpg

I think I will use another brake though, I like the "ball" on the lever's end:
20190424_160220.jpg

I am not sure which shifter to use yet:
20190828_073543.jpg

P.S. A tiny update, I am waiting for a few goodies. Since the grips had a tracking number when the postman rang twice I was prepared and ran like the wind.
I really like how these look, but I misjudged the length a bit, so unfortunately this means a little more sanding.
20190828_141912.jpg

I ordered them on monday and they are already here, nice. I am waiting for the stem, perhaps tomorrow (no tracking).
And two other items for other bikes.

Last edited:
I am happy to report my stem has arrived. It does not go all the way in though, I have to clean the head tube a little.
20190830_110004.jpg

P.S. It seems the shaft get tighter after some point... The last one third actually, the opening on the shaft's other end is 22mm. Could I cut the stem to length with my hacksaw and then file till I get the right angle? Hmm, then I could just use the shorter bolt from the original stem...
20190830_113848.jpg

Last edited:
Well, that deescalated quickly. I managed to get the angle close enough:
20190830_150908.jpg

I simply used the bolt from the original stem, since I took care to cut the new one approximately at the same length... I love its shape, matter of fact it is the same shape as the Ahead adjustable stem I use as a seat support on my Felt, which I like very much and was always sorry I didn't have the right bike to use on.
20190830_151057.jpg

I gotta say I am not quite sold on the seat... and not really fond of the look of the shifter either. However I don't want to spend another 20 bucks on a rapid fire shifter again.
20190830_151621.jpg

I am working on acquiring braces for the front fender, but the one guy had to text me yesterday and didn't, the other fella has not responded yet...

Last edited:
Do you get a lot of creaks using the adjustable stem as a seatpost? My wife has one on her GT mountain bike cum cruiser/kid hauler and I hate the thing. I know that from a MTB point of view, they're not much more than a place holder. Used to figure out what measurements work for the cockpit and then replaced with a more solid unit. I would not count on one for any serious trail riding!

Well, it is not the only support.. It is easier for me to show you than to explain it:
Take 1
20181006_173154.jpg

20181006_173226.jpg

Take 2
20190811_151827.jpg

You can see more of this bike in the first link from my signature, it is my first cruiser and my dream build. Finally finished.

Update September 02: I don't like the look of the moon bars on the fully frame. They look overproportioned.

Last edited:
I ordered a Kool Knight chain for my Felt, but didn't bother to check how many links I need. I need 116 and the KK has 112. :headbang:
Using links from a normal half-link chain would ruin its looks. I could get a smaller chainring + a smaller rear cogwheel, but this means 50 bucks (either 42t chainring or a spider + chainring). :13:
I decided that since I have to pay additional 50$ it makes more sence to buy another KK chain. I have a very short drivetrain on the fully - it needs around 100 links only, due to the drivetrain being 38t/19t and the shorter (compared to a cruiser) chainstays. So I will have the few extra links I need for the Felt and I will use the rest for the fully.
You know what they say - when life gives you lemons just stuff'em back in his ugly mug.

On a side note I checked the tracking number this morning and found out that it says "delivered with a signature", yesterday afternoon. :ninja: I was at home the whole afternoon and no-one rang... So I checked the mailbox and indeed my package was in there. Local carrier was Hermes. Now I know why most people on ebay use DHL and why Classic Cycle uses DPD. Still, hooray for not losing the package. :41:

I also decided to not bother with the twist shifter and found a reasonable offer for the rapid fire shifter - expensive, around 40$ total, BUT it is new (old stock) and comes with the cable + housing + the older (easy to set up metal) gear interface + the handlebars bracket, so I'd say it is worth it.
Funny enough the guy who sold me the previous one (for 9,70) had another one to offer for 24,90.

Good choice on the shifter, gripshift is far superior IMHO

I like how the grip shifter performs, I just don't like having to cut the right grip every time. It also moves the brake levers way too much on the inside of the bars which is a problem with curved bars. Even with straight bars you should be carefull what levers you use - I have mtb Shimano levers which used with a grip shifter I could only reach with two fingers. And it also makes using bolt-on grips impossible, if you like them.
And while the 3sp shifter has a version with a narrower twisting part, I have only seen the 7sp in a wide version.

I misspoke! Meant to say that I prefer Rapidfire! I have had gripshift change gears on me too many times! Always at the worst time too! The first time I tried them (waaay back in the ninties) they shifted in the middle of a flight of stairs!

Ah I see. I have two twist shifters, both for IGH and I think that is the reason why no trouble. I remember the twist shifters on the mtb-s back then, they had a terrible reputation and they seemed to break easily too.
But even so, the internals of the twist shifters are all plastic, while the rapid fire shifter has pretty massive gear shifting cogs inside. I think the only plastic stuff inside are the cogs for the gear indicator. Quite sturdy really.

I needed one or two more fender braces for the front wheel and asked around, but no luck. Then I was able to find very similar ones from a shop and despite a bit different I knew I could adapt them. So I ordered a set of 4, to have some spares if I ruin some while bending them, and for further use too. Next day Classic Cycle was offering the originals again :crazy:
I decided to go with two braces - one seemed to be a bit too modern and two more classic. I was worried I'd have to cut the fender in two to go over the fork brace/brake bridge, but luckily there was enough clearance underneath it.
20190907_145001.jpg

I removed the paint from the brake lever as much as I could:
20190907_145033.jpg

I will be able to use the Weinmann rear brake on this fork. It makes me happy because I actually removed the brake and these fenders from the same bike and I like how well they go together colorwise. A mock-up, I will use V-brake pads probably, I discovered there is a huge performance difference when I did that swap on my SS bike:
20190907_144932.jpg

It was practically a whole set - the fenders, a front brake (no red paint on it though), this rear brake, plus the two brake levers with the big red dots on'em.
By the way, I won't be using this light, because I managed to score two old headlight for 1$:
s-l1600.jpg

They would be a much better fit than this small bicycle light. I will use one on the fully, I might use the other on on the green bike.
So, next I am waiting for the shifter set to arrive, and these headlights. I won't bother connecting the twist shifter at all. Still brainstorming on the seat situation.

Goodies!
20190910_150120.jpg

It arrived from Poland (the birthplace of barbaric slav power) in 7 days (dispatch to delivery) which is quite OK considering I wait for an inland package sent the next day that hasn't arrived yet.
Brand new with mounting bracket, cable +housing and gear interface. Tracking was not very detailed so it was a pleasant surprise when the mailman gave me two boxes instead of one - I was waiting for a speedo for the green build.
I would like to keep the look cleaner and found a used Sachs drum brake front wheel that I might use, but not sure if I use it here or on the green build yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back