Fugsley - MO FATTA MO BETTA - Believe it or Not -TRADED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Here is the riding video of my running down one of Savannah's 13 million tourists.

IMG_4878.jpg

Well first I have to give complete credit to yoothgeye and his over the top sand bike SAND ROVER (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41955&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a)
I never would have thought of this on my own. I didn't want to continue bogarting his thread with stories about my hunt for a Stingray, so here is my thread.

About the time that I saw yooth's rolling frame, I saw a Sun Snyder, and then an OCC Stingray showed up on CL. I had to jump. I think yooth is dead on whith his scale and execution using a smaller frame with these fat twentys. With a bigger frame the wheels wouldn't look as big and thuggish.

I guess I can't really call this a build yet, because all I have is some of the parts and an idea. But maybe if I post my idea to RRBers it will force me to follow through and not have to walk the shameful halls of unfinished bikes.

As a reference and with major reverence, let me show an early photo of yooth's Sand Rover.
SandRover.jpg

Pretty awesome build isn't it???

I don't plan to do a total theft of Sand Rover. I decided it would be cool to tie it in to another bike style that I enjoy and that is folding bikes.
Here is the 86 Dahon Classic that I am thinking of using. I know that there will be a few engineering challenges to this, but what the heck. It's a start.

IMG_6379.jpg

Also here is the OCC StingRay I started with. Cool story with this purchase, that I will post later.
Photo-0029.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Dune Thuggy folder - inspired (i.e. stolen) from yoothgeye

Already a set back. The rear tire on the Stingray has about a 2 inch section where the tire has separated from the wire rim bead. I am pretty sure that means the tire is toast, but does anyone have any ways to fix this with some redneck engineering? I was even thinking of lacing the tire back onto the wire bead with some stainless wire and then coatin the wire with some goop rubber cement stuff. Is this a wasted effort?

kingfish254 said:
Already a set back. The rear tire on the Stingray has about a 2 inch section where the tire has separated from the wire rim bead. I am pretty sure that means the tire is toast, but does anyone have any ways to fix this with some redneck engineering? I was even thinking of lacing the tire back onto the wire bead with some stainless wire and then coatin the wire with some goop rubber cement stuff. Is this a wasted effort?

I would try it, the tire is just there to hold the tube in, you can use a piece of a trash tube or tire to cover that area on the inside of the tire when you are ready to remount.

Now, on the folder, you plan to do a BB like mine? I suspect yours is already a euro style BB, so sounds like welding is in order. Where are you on lower gearing, or what is your opinion on it?

Actually, I am thinking about keeping the BB that it has. I will have to check the crank, but I think it is 110mm, so I should be able to do like you did and swap out a smaller chainring for lower gearing. I wait and see how it rides.

Oh wait a minute. I will also have to see what kind of chain/tire clearance and chain angle I end up with.

kingfish254 said:
Oh wait a minute. I will also have to see what kind of chain/tire clearance and chain angle I end up with.

Yeah, you have to go wider, go take a look at the width of that Stingray BB. :eek:

Unless you wanna go jack shaft. :shock:

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

Yeah, you have to go wider, go take a look at the width of that Stingray BB. :eek:

Unless you wanna go jack shaft. :shock:

Yeah, it would be too weird having the tire off center. It is a fairly big BB, so I might be able to mount the OCC BB in there like you are doing.

I also have a Stainless Steel Dahon that I could use, but I am not about to mess with this. It is worth too much money ($300 to $800) to cut up.
4234_1065390636039_1264213923_30149382_1362092_n1.jpg

And here is the revamp I did for my wife's Dahon
beforeafter.jpg

I didn't know those bikes held their value like that, wow.

Hmmm... so we need a dune bike build off (DBBO#1), here are the rules:

1. bike must be rideable on sand
2. builder can get help, but no freaking professionals
3. paint must be applied by the builder
4. frames... do what you want besides building one from scratch
5. cost: must be cheap, and by cheap I mean less than $100 for all parts! Maybe that can be raised to $200 if you are nice.
6. bike must be built in time for your beach vacation, haha

yoothgeye said:
I didn't know those bikes held their value like that, wow.

Hmmm... so we need a dune bike build off (DBBO#1), here are the rules:

1. bike must be rideable on sand
2. builder can get help, but no freaking professionals
3. paint must be applied by the builder
4. frames... do what you want besides building one from scratch
5. cost: must be cheap, and by cheap I mean less than $100 for all parts! Maybe that can be raised to $200 if you are nice.
6. bike must be built in time for your beach vacation, haha

Only the old Stainless ones are collectible. The newer ones from the 2000sand 2010s have good resale also.

DBBO#1 sounds good to me with one unknown for me. I need to find another Stingray (at a non-collectable price) and that is hit or miss. So since I am so close to the beach (15 minutes) I could say that my beach vacation is in December. :lol: . My co-worker that has a welding machine is no pro by any means. I think I can keep it under $100, but $150 would be easier. I have $20 in my Dahon and $30 in my first Stingray. Of course I plan to use the forks and maybe the seat elsewhere, so does that mean I am only using $10 for the rear frame and wheel?.

did you get the tire fixed?? I was forced to try and repair a super rare S-5 NOS white wall because some dork slashed the inside of the bead with a razor taking the paper off 50 years ago and the bead wire rusted and rotted the cord...

I used a small half round sail needle and #25 rock cod braid, slathered in 3M trim cement. I still haven't tried it, I'm trying to decide if they will be low pressure show tires... :cry: :cry: I so wanted to ride em....

DSC03890.jpg

That's kinda along the lines of what I was thinking of trying, but I didn't think of the big needle. I was just thinking stainless safety wire.
I haven't tried anything yet. I'll let you know if it works.

Scrumblero, that repair looks legit, I would ride on that one easy!

I really don't wanna have a build-off, but anything to motivate more people to build these things, what if we started a trend! I just hope it works well, because I'm going to be far less than $50 into this build doing the same thing as a $700 to multi thousand fat tire bike.

I can't wait to see this come together.

Oh, just wondering, I don't think it was covered, you are using a folding bike... will it still fold? :?

yoothgeye said:
I really don't wanna have a build-off, but anything to motivate more people to build these things, what if we started a trend! I just hope it works well, because I'm going to be far less than $50 into this build doing the same thing as a $700 to multi thousand fat tire bike.

I can't wait to see this come together.

Oh, just wondering, I don't think it was covered, you are using a folding bike... will it still fold? :?

I would prefer no build off as well. Just having fun making something different.

Yes It will still be able to fold in half. It won't be as neat of a fold because the geometry won't be equal front and back anymore, but it will still fold. I have cool idea for a beach worthy homemade banana seat if I can find an old ski belt.

Here is a very bad virtual mockup with more thievery.

Dunethuggy.jpg

If you stick to that very detailed plan ( :lol: ) looks like you will have even more center clearance than me. Definitely an attention getter.

What is the weight on your folder? As we worked on the Sand Rover we thought it was getting heavier and heavier based on the wheels and stays, but it is surprisingly light. It helped that I used the GT frame, it's chromoly. My dad had a folder once and I remember it being sturdy at the expense of being heavy too.

yoothgeye said:
If you stick to that very detailed plan ( :lol: ) looks like you will have even more center clearance than me. Definitely an attention getter.

What is the weight on your folder? As we worked on the Sand Rover we thought it was getting heavier and heavier based on the wheels and stays, but it is surprisingly light. It helped that I used the GT frame, it's chromoly. My dad had a folder once and I remember it being sturdy at the expense of being heavy too.

Glad you like my "detailed" sketch. :shock:

The Dahon is about 25 pounds. I may need to lower it some or it will be too tall. One benefit to using the Dahon is that their is a wide range of adjustment in the seatpost and handlpost and the geometry is already geared towards an adult.

Looking at the BB again, it has a pretty small diameter, so I will have to weld the Stingray bracket above or below it (depending on getting ti to not interfere with the fold).

I did see!!!!!! and I am VERY JEALOUS!!!
That should be a production bike!!

I can tell now that my virtual mock up is going to be way too tall. After seeing Sand Rover as a rider, I know that I'll drop mine down a good bit on the front and back from my origianl virtual mock up. I think I am going to cut the rear section off of the StingRay tonight so that I can at least start playing around with how to marry it to the Dahon.

Sand Rover is so freaking cool. I can't wait to copy it. :mrgreen:

Still scouring CL for a cheap OCC Sting to steal the rear end off of.

Latest posts

Back