From Rust to Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I recently finished this bike for a friend. It took me over a year to complete because - a) I am lazy. b) I had to redo the front wheel an repaint the spokes 3 times. I have only ever built 3 wheels in my life and these are two of them. I swapped the geared hub to an old CCM Hercules coaster hub. Painting the rims took a couple tries cause I used Krylon latex H2O paint and I ended up with a ton of runs so I had to strip and repaint. I am not patient enough for that type of spray paint. Anyone know how to lace a wheel after painting the spokes and not scraping half the paint off of the spokes? Hahaha lessons in frustration. But it is complete and I hope she likes it.

The condition I received it in
rusttorat.jpg

Partially cleaned. Canti posts and brake cable guides shaved off. I left the lower cable guides on for if I ever find a cheap 3spd hub.
rusttorat1.jpg

Finished product.
rusttorat3.jpg

rusttorat2.jpg

RATTY_TAT_TAT...........looks nice! 8)

Rollin... your bike came out great!!! The lady should be proud of it. It's hard to install painted spokes without scratching them some. The longer you can let them dry and cure the less they will scratch. The best results from the h20 paint I've found is to go with three very light coats with about 20 min. between each. Shake well and invert the can and spray to clean out the nozzle as you go, otherwise you get a lot of spatter. Latex is not my favorite type either, but if it lessens the likelyhood of someone huffing, I'll put up with some additional pain from it. Great build!!! Thanks!!!

TheDuke said:
8) 8) 8) 8) NICE! 8) 8) 8) 8)
L8 EM
I still think this! Now you can get that room painted,re-carpet and install baseboards! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
L8 Again EM

TheDuke said:
TheDuke said:
8) 8) 8) 8) NICE! 8) 8) 8) 8)
L8 EM
I still think this! Now you can get that room painted,re-carpet and install baseboards! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
L8 Again EM

Haha! I'd be done that room if I spent as much time working on the house as I did bikes.

Latest posts

Back